Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
Ruilo

Canon Eos R support ?

Question

I can't use my Canon Eos R?  Is supposed to be a 5d mkiv but mirrorles.. Is there any fix to that?

17:41:00  Licensed to Ruilo
17:45:15  Attempting to connect camera...
17:45:15  Canon drivers 'Canon\' initialized.
17:45:15  DEVICEINFO DESCRIPTION IS Canon EOS R
17:45:15  DEVICEINFO NUMBER IS (i deleted this for the post).
17:45:15  YOUR *REAL* MODEL NUMBER IS (i deleted this for the post)

17:45:15  YOUR camera is not currently supported by the Canon SDK available at the time of this software release.
17:45:15  Camera Not Found!  Make sure it's connected to the PC and turned ON :)

It may be worth pointing out that the manual for the  latest version of the EOS Utility (released on August 29th, 2019) clearly indicates that the EOS R, EOS RP are fully capable of tethered, remote shooting.  The M50 also appears to be supported, but does *NOT* allow the "Bulb Timer" to be set, which may or may not mean that general bulb exposures are not possible.  This version also includes support for the new 90D and M6 Mark II, both of which seem fully supported.

I expect to have an M6 Mark II early in October, and will post my results when it arrives.  I have spent a lot of time writing and debugging code, so hopefully I can be a helpful and responsive guinea pig to get M6mkII support tested.

As far as the new CR3 raw files....  From posts in the libraw github, it looks like that team has reverse engineered the format, and they expect to have CR3 support in the fall (next) update, so that should help.  (I assume BYE (And BYN...) uses libraw, but I could be wrong.)

grnbrg.

EOS-Utility-3.10.30.png

BYE does not use libraw... but it could in the future :)

I just finished uploading RC4 in the pre-release section... in this pre-release CR3 are still not displayed... but if you take both RAW+JPG the JPG will be used for display... so essentially the same behavior as CR2 images where BYE would actually read the embeded jpg for display... it just that with the EOS-R you need to make sure you select RAW+JPG.

Thank you for all the feedback.

Regards,

13 hours ago, grnbrg said:

It may be worth pointing out that the manual for the  latest version of the EOS Utility (released on August 29th, 2019) clearly indicates that the EOS R, EOS RP are fully capable of tethered, remote shooting.  The M50 also appears to be supported, but does *NOT* allow the "Bulb Timer" to be set, which may or may not mean that general bulb exposures are not possible.  This version also includes support for the new 90D and M6 Mark II, both of which seem fully supported.

I expect to have an M6 Mark II early in October, and will post my results when it arrives.  I have spent a lot of time writing and debugging code, so hopefully I can be a helpful and responsive guinea pig to get M6mkII support tested.

As far as the new CR3 raw files....  From posts in the libraw github, it looks like that team has reverse engineered the format, and they expect to have CR3 support in the fall (next) update, so that should help.  (I assume BYE (And BYN...) uses libraw, but I could be wrong.)

I can confirm that with BYE 3.1.18 - RC4 it is possible to take exposures longer than 30 seconds using the EOS R with firmware 1.2 and save the RAW files to the hard drive.

On 7/28/2019 at 10:48 AM, Ruilo said:

I can't use my Canon Eos R?  Is supposed to be a 5d mkiv but mirrorles.. Is there any fix to that?

17:41:00  Licensed to Ruilo
17:45:15  Attempting to connect camera...
17:45:15  Canon drivers 'Canon\' initialized.
17:45:15  DEVICEINFO DESCRIPTION IS Canon EOS R
17:45:15  DEVICEINFO NUMBER IS (i deleted this for the post).
17:45:15  YOUR *REAL* MODEL NUMBER IS (i deleted this for the post)

17:45:15  YOUR camera is not currently supported by the Canon SDK available at the time of this software release.
17:45:15  Camera Not Found!  Make sure it's connected to the PC and turned ON :)

Ruilo,

I have confirmed that BYE 3.1.18 RC4 is working with my EOS R with firmware 1.2 running on the EOS R. Canon just released firmware 1.3, but I have not tested that version yet. What version of the firmware are you running on your EOS R?

12 hours ago, admin said:

BYE does not use libraw... but it could in the future :)

I just finished uploading RC4 in the pre-release section... in this pre-release CR3 are still not displayed... but if you take both RAW+JPG the JPG will be used for display... so essentially the same behavior as CR2 images where BYE would actually read the embeded jpg for display... it just that with the EOS-R you need to make sure you select RAW+JPG.

Thank you for all the feedback.

Thank you for your work on adding this, but I am still having the issue with displaying the last image taken. In my configuration even if I have RAW + JPG selected to save the files, only the RAW files are saved to the hard drive and the last image taken is not displayed in BYE. 

I can work around this as I have the Canon apps loaded and can just view the RAW(CR3) files there.

Not sure if this matters, but I am using a Windows 10 laptop that doesn't have USB C. The EOS R only has a USB C connection. I bought a USB C to USB 3 adapter off of Amazon to connect the EOS R to the laptop. 

The great news here is that BYE does work with the EOS R testing in the lab! Now if we could just have a clear night to try it out in the field. :)

1 hour ago, spike13 said:

Ruilo,

I have confirmed that BYE 3.1.18 RC4 is working with my EOS R with firmware 1.2 running on the EOS R. Canon just released firmware 1.3, but I have not tested that version yet. What version of the firmware are you running on your EOS R?

Be cautious about loading new versions of DSLR Firmware, unless you have the ability to revert /reload back to the older version.  Firmware Updates have been known to break the SDK Functionality (at least one instance confirmed in recent years on this forum).

3 hours ago, spike13 said:

Ruilo,

Im using 1.3 right now 

Thanks for the updates, will try as soon as i can but right now im a bit bussy

5 hours ago, spike13 said:

Thank you for your work on adding this, but I am still having the issue with displaying the last image taken. In my configuration even if I have RAW + JPG selected to save the files, only the RAW files are saved to the hard drive and the last image taken is not displayed in BYE. 

Send me the log file where you don't get the last image, maybe it will show something helpful.

Based on past evidence, the best advice is to NOT upgrade the camera's firmware unless you are experiencing a problem that the upgraded firmware addresses. Doing so can break the ability to operate the camera while tethered to a computer. This is due to the possibility that Canon will need to update the software that is used for tethering (the Canon EOS SDK) before tethering will once again be possible.

8 hours ago, astroman133 said:

Based on past evidence, the best advice is to NOT upgrade the camera's firmware unless you are experiencing a problem that the upgraded firmware addresses. Doing so can break the ability to operate the camera while tethered to a computer. This is due to the possibility that Canon will need to update the software that is used for tethering (the Canon EOS SDK) before tethering will once again be possible.

Generally speaking I agree with your thought process here, but the EOS R is a little different as it is a new platform for Canon and they are releasing and or improving existing features via firmware updates and someone has to install the latest firmware and report back to the community as to whether it broke the ability to capture tethered.

I do plan on testing out the 1.3 firmware at some point after Guylain has reviewed the latest log files 

40 minutes ago, spike13 said:

Generally speaking I agree with your thought process here, but the EOS R is a little different as it is a new platform for Canon and they are releasing and or improving existing features via firmware updates and someone has to install the latest firmware and report back to the community as to whether it broke the ability to capture tethered.

I do plan on testing out the 1.3 firmware at some point after Guylain has reviewed the latest log files 

I got the log files,did not look at them yet... but your email is confusing.  here you said you don't see the last image only, on the email you say you don't see any.  Which one is it?

Ok, I looked at the log files and it looks that your EOS-R won't download the JPG when you selected both RAW+JPG.  It camera throws an error on the download command.

The first download (the raw image) downloads just fine but the subsequent image (the JPG) throws an error.  It does not behave like the others.  I'm a bit confused by this different behavior.  What could be different?

2019-09-09 04:53:29,657 [OnStateEventHandler] DEBUG - OnStateEventHandler Fired! (inEvent=795), inParameter=6)
2019-09-09 04:53:30,828 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Running (log): EDSDK.EdsGetDirectoryItemInfo(inDirItemRef, out dirItemInfo)
2019-09-09 04:53:30,844 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Success: EDSDK.EdsGetDirectoryItemInfo(inDirItemRef, out dirItemInfo)
2019-09-09 04:53:30,844 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Running (log): EDSDK.EdsCreateFileStream(dirItemInfo.szFileName, EDSDK.EdsFileCreateDisposition.CreateAlways, EDSDK.EdsAccess.ReadWrite, out stream)
2019-09-09 04:53:30,871 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Success: EDSDK.EdsCreateFileStream(dirItemInfo.szFileName, EDSDK.EdsFileCreateDisposition.CreateAlways, EDSDK.EdsAccess.ReadWrite, out stream)
2019-09-09 04:53:30,871 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Running (log): EDSDK.EdsDownload(imgRef, dirItemInfo.Size, stream)
2019-09-09 04:53:31,918 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Success: EDSDK.EdsDownload(imgRef, dirItemInfo.Size, stream)
2019-09-09 04:53:31,918 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Running (log): EDSDK.EdsRelease(stream)
2019-09-09 04:53:31,934 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Success: EDSDK.EdsRelease(stream)
2019-09-09 04:53:31,934 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Running (log): EDSDK.EdsDownloadComplete(imgRef)
2019-09-09 04:53:31,975 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Success: EDSDK.EdsDownloadComplete(imgRef)
2019-09-09 04:53:31,975 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94880712)] INFO  - Flush Running: (94880712)
2019-09-09 04:53:32,203 [OnStateEventHandler] DEBUG - StateEvent_JobStatusChanged Fired! (inParameter=0) (inContext=0)
2019-09-09 04:53:32,204 [OnStateEventHandler] DEBUG - Items transfered!
2019-09-09 04:53:34,296 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94879112)] INFO  - Running (log): EDSDK.EdsGetDirectoryItemInfo(inDirItemRef, out dirItemInfo)
2019-09-09 04:53:34,314 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94879112)] INFO  - Success: EDSDK.EdsGetDirectoryItemInfo(inDirItemRef, out dirItemInfo)
2019-09-09 04:53:34,314 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94879112)] INFO  - Running (log): EDSDK.EdsCreateFileStream(dirItemInfo.szFileName, EDSDK.EdsFileCreateDisposition.CreateAlways, EDSDK.EdsAccess.ReadWrite, out stream)
2019-09-09 04:53:34,334 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94879112)] INFO  - Success: EDSDK.EdsCreateFileStream(dirItemInfo.szFileName, EDSDK.EdsFileCreateDisposition.CreateAlways, EDSDK.EdsAccess.ReadWrite, out stream)
2019-09-09 04:53:34,334 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94879112)] INFO  - Running (log): EDSDK.EdsDownload(imgRef, dirItemInfo.Size, stream)
2019-09-09 04:53:34,372 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94879112)] INFO  - WARNING EDS_ERR_INTERNAL_ERROR : EDSDK.EdsDownload(imgRef, dirItemInfo.Size, stream) 
2019-09-09 04:53:34,372 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94879112)] INFO  - Running (log): EDSDK.EdsDownloadCancel(imgRef)
2019-09-09 04:53:34,404 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94879112)] INFO  - Success: EDSDK.EdsDownloadCancel(imgRef)
2019-09-09 04:53:34,404 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(94879112)] INFO  - Flush Running: (94880712 94879112)

8 hours ago, admin said:

I got the log files,did not look at them yet... but your email is confusing.  here you said you don't see the last image only, on the email you say you don't see any.  Which one is it?

Neither image was displayed in BYE. The raw file is available on the hard drive for me to view using another application. The jpg file is not available on the hard drive.

7 hours ago, admin said:

Ok, I looked at the log files and it looks that your EOS-R won't download the JPG when you selected both RAW+JPG.  It camera throws an error on the download command.

The first download (the raw image) downloads just fine but the subsequent image (the JPG) throws an error.  It does not behave like the others.  I'm a bit confused by this different behavior.  What could be different?

That my friend is the million dollar question. :)

When you say it doesn't behave like this in others, do you mean in other EOS R's or other cameras like when I tested with the 5dm4?

For another test I am curious to see what happens if I have BYE save it to the SD card instead of downloading to the laptop. I have used the EOS R in this configuration when shooting regular photography not connected to BYE and it was able to write both files to the SD card. 

I believe that "others" means other camera models.

The fact that you are unable to download both RAW and JPG for the same image could have multiple causes. Camera cause...SDK cause...BYE cause. Guylain will have to work his magic to determine what is going on and where the error could be.

One thing that you can help to sort out is why the image does not display when you configure BYE to download RAW+JPG. One possibility is that BYE bypasses displaying the image if both downloads do not occur, even though it actually does have an image to display. The way to test this is to choose RAW only as the image type to download. Does the image display in BYE's imaging window? If it does not, then your comment that BYE 3.1.18 RC4 is working with the EOS R is incorrect as the authors intend that the image be displayed after it is downloaded  from the camera.

Right now my best guess is that the camera may need a small pause between both downloads. 

I have found with most model a 500ms pause between the RAW download and the JPG download was necessary for most models and there such pause in BYE right now. 

I think I will increase this a little bit for the EOS-R and see it this makes a difference.  A few milliseconds is an eternity in computer terms and dealing the hardware I have found this to fix a lot of issues in the past.  

I've checked at my local camera shop to see if I could rent an EOS-R for a few days but since this is a new camera they don't have any EOS-R in their loaner pool :(

Regards,

6 hours ago, admin said:

Right now my best guess is that the camera may need a small pause between both downloads. 

I have found with most model a 500ms pause between the RAW download and the JPG download was necessary for most models and there such pause in BYE right now. 

I think I will increase this a little bit for the EOS-R and see it this makes a difference.  A few milliseconds is an eternity in computer terms and dealing the hardware I have found this to fix a lot of issues in the past.  

I've checked at my local camera shop to see if I could rent an EOS-R for a few days but since this is a new camera they don't have any EOS-R in their loaner pool :(

With the updates that you have made so far I am able to use my EOS R with BYE. I understand that you just can't go out and purchase every new camera or have a loaner available to develop and optimize BYE. 

I am willing to use my EOS R as a testbed for your development efforts and will share all log files along my observations during testing. If there are specific tests that you need ran, please let me know and I'll execute them. 

Do you have a specific QA workflow that you use for testing and validating?

11 hours ago, astroman133 said:

The fact that you are unable to download both RAW and JPG for the same image could have multiple causes. Camera cause...SDK cause...BYE cause. Guylain will have to work his magic to determine what is going on and where the error could be.

One thing that you can help to sort out is why the image does not display when you configure BYE to download RAW+JPG. One possibility is that BYE bypasses displaying the image if both downloads do not occur, even though it actually does have an image to display. The way to test this is to choose RAW only as the image type to download. Does the image display in BYE's imaging window? If it does not, then your comment that BYE 3.1.18 RC4 is working with the EOS R is incorrect as the authors intend that the image be displayed after it is downloaded  from the camera.

RAW only is what I wanted in the first place and when that didn't work(because the RAW files are .CR3's) I attempted the RAW + JPG as when I do a Snapshot it saves the file as a L JPG downloads and displays perfectly in BYE.

Working or working perfectly... I agree, BYE is not working perfectly as the .CR3 raw files are not supported yet so they are not able to be displayed in BYE after they are captured(I have offered to assist with this awesome feature of BYE). But it is working to a point where BYE can connect to the EOS R, execute a capture plan(setting exposure time, setting aperture, setting ISO, setting filenames), and save the RAW files to the hard drive. 3.1.18 RC4 is a release candidate, hopefully we can work together thru a couple iterations of development and testing to make a solid version version of 3.1.18 production.

Aside from inserting a pause between the actual download of the CR3 and JPG image I have exhasuted everything I know to have worked with other models for the past 10 years.  I need an EOS-R on hand for testing.  I have a user that might be willing to send me his camera.  If this pans out I may be able to do some real debugging session with an EOS-R.  This is something that I can't do remotely.

Thank you everyone for all your assistance, it is appreciated.

Guyalin

Brent from HyperCams is sending me his EOS-R for testing.

I'm always amazed at the generosity from strangers sometimes.  I had the same thing happen with the Nikon Z7 3 months ago.  This is just amazing.

Thank you Brent, I owe you a cold one.

GOOD NEWS.

I got the EOS-R on loan from a user (thank you Brent from Hypercam).

It literally took 10 minutes and I got it to work with taking both RAW+JPG.  This is working now and will be in the next pre-release.   I will try to release late next week.  

I have 2 more things that I want to tackle while I have the camera. I'll try to see if I can decode the raw CR3 image because as of now you would need to take both .CR3 + JPG for BYE to display the images.  Still not a bad compromise but not ideal.  I would like to display the CR3 image when only raw is selected.

I'm also going to see if I can control the lens for those that uses a lens instead of a telescope for wide field images.

No promises... other than the biggest huddle has been resolved in that both images CR3+JPG how now downloaded and the JPG will be used for display.

I'm happy. 

8 minutes ago, bret.mckee@gmail.com said:

Will that pre-release also include 90D support?

Thanks,

Bret

No, not yet... but first I need someone with a 90D to try it with the latest pre-release.  If you have a 90D please start a new thread and we'll take it from there,

Regards,

On 9/20/2019 at 7:06 PM, admin said:

GOOD NEWS.

I got the EOS-R on loan from a user (thank you Brent from Hypercam).

It literally took 10 minutes and I got it to work with taking both RAW+JPG.  This is working now and will be in the next pre-release.   I will try to release late next week.  

I have 2 more things that I want to tackle while I have the camera. I'll try to see if I can decode the raw CR3 image because as of now you would need to take both .CR3 + JPG for BYE to display the images.  Still not a bad compromise but not ideal.  I would like to display the CR3 image when only raw is selected.

I'm also going to see if I can control the lens for those that uses a lens instead of a telescope for wide field images.

No promises... other than the biggest huddle has been resolved in that both images CR3+JPG how now downloaded and the JPG will be used for display.

I'm happy. 

That is great news, thank you for all of your efforts!

Will you be able to post here when the next version of BYE with these updates are available?

4 hours ago, spike13 said:

That is great news, thank you for all of your efforts!

Will you be able to post here when the next version of BYE with these updates are available?

Yes, I will.  Alternatively you can also "follow" the pre-release download file by clicking the follow button on that page; if you do you'll get notified when I upload a new versions.

12 hours ago, admin said:

Well that was fun... looks like the EOS-R if fully functional... including CR3 decoder.  

I just finished uploading 3.1.18.RC5 in the pre-release download section.

Having an EOS-R on hand for testing is pure gold.  I did more in 1 day than the last 30 days going at it blind.

A big thank you for Brent at Hypercam for lending me his EOS-R.  This was not a small feat... Brent is in the USA (Florida) and I'm in Canada... still he shipped me his camera for testing. 

I'll run more tests in the coming days while I have the camera on hand but from what I can see, RC5 is fully functional.

Thank you for all your help and patience.

Regards,

19 hours ago, admin said:

No rush on my end. Get the software to where you are 100% confident and happy with it, and that will be payment enough for me since I plan on using this model going forward for OSC widefield imaging.
I would rather you take the time you need/want with it than be <100% confident with it.

Cheers!