Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
Ruilo

Canon Eos R support ?

Question

I can't use my Canon Eos R?  Is supposed to be a 5d mkiv but mirrorles.. Is there any fix to that?

17:41:00  Licensed to Ruilo
17:45:15  Attempting to connect camera...
17:45:15  Canon drivers 'Canon\' initialized.
17:45:15  DEVICEINFO DESCRIPTION IS Canon EOS R
17:45:15  DEVICEINFO NUMBER IS (i deleted this for the post).
17:45:15  YOUR *REAL* MODEL NUMBER IS (i deleted this for the post)

17:45:15  YOUR camera is not currently supported by the Canon SDK available at the time of this software release.
17:45:15  Camera Not Found!  Make sure it's connected to the PC and turned ON :)

Ok , tested EOS Utility and worket perfectly in bulb mode via pc . As soon as the pic is taken it opens with DPP as it should do ... so the camera its ok , cable its ok , comunication its ok...

Tested right after that on BYE and in bulb mode:

"21:30:09  Your camera requires a configured serial cable for BULB or Mirror Lock.
21:30:10  Imaging session cancelled"

On Manual mode , 5 sec exposure keeps freezing me the software without doing anything (the camera didn't do any exposure)

image.thumb.png.fb1e704a0c997b1bebefae79140b7b4b.png

BTW my license expires in 6 days

You must make sure that both the Display and the Background parts of EOS Utility are Terminated (use TaskManager), as it keeps the background connection to the DSLR Open...

And, as always:  Send Guylain the Log File!

On 8/22/2019 at 2:59 AM, admin said:

Ok, it looks like I'll have to try and get my hands on an EOS--R for testing. I've done everything I normally do with any new Canon cameras... Or try to rent one but the last time I rented a camera it ended up costing $400 for a weekend 😢

Hey! Have you received my recent emails? with a video included 

Don't worry about the trial license, I cna always give you a second one.

However, I've come to the conclusion that I will need an EOS-R to physically test it and find the offending setting that is preventing BYE from playing nice with this Model.  This may take a few months before one becomes available at my local camera shop :(

Regards,

On 8/18/2019 at 12:18 PM, admin said:

I just uploaded 3.1.18.RC2 in the pre-release section.  Can you try this version?

https://www.otelescope.com/files/category/24-pre-releases/

I am able to successfully connect my EOS R(firmware 1.2.0) with BackyardEOS 3.1.18 RC2.

I can shoot bulb mode images longer that 30 seconds.

A couple challenges that I am having with 3.1.18. 

• JPG's work fine and will display when taken. RAW files will not display the picture taken in BEOS(.CR3)-JPG's are saved to the hard drive.
  • If I select RAW+JPG nothing is displayed in BEOS after the image is downloaded, but the file is RAW file is saved to the hard drive.
  • Whenever I change the default location to where to save the files to, it will work and write the files there until I exit BEOS and then changes back to the default location.

21 hours ago, admin said:

You 3rd point is a known issue and is related to windows security.  Re-install BYE in a separate folder and this issue should be solved.

Thank you!

I discovered that solution while browsing thru the forums after I posted.

I had upgraded to a dedicated cooled astro camera(ASI1600) a couple years ago and have not been using BYEOS with my DSLR's. That setup is going to be installed at a remote observatory in New Mexico next month so my interest in capturing local stuff with the Canon's and Backyard EOS has resumed.

Any thoughts on the saving/displaying of the RAW(.CR3) and .jpg's?

The CR3 format is quite new, and like always is essentially Undocumented by Canon.  There are teams of Open-Source Developers working to fully support the current CR3 format (Canon is known to tweak their CR2 format for each new Camera - nothing less expected for CR3), with some of the best having successes which are just now being integrated into the most common Open-Source Image Processing Library - libRAW.

Once that happens, the various End-User Software Developers will surely integrate the new libRAW as soon as possible - Guylain included.

Even the Big Boys - Microsoft and Apple - only gained initial CR3 Support a few months ago - https://petapixel.com/2019/07/12/microsoft-releases-free-raw-image-viewer-extension-for-windows-10/

Until then, you'll need to use the version of Canon DPP that came on your EOS R Support Disc.

Also:

Several Canon DSLRs don't support "RAW+JPEG" output through the Canon SDK, even though the same is supported In-Camera via the SD Card.  (That too is totally up to Canon, not BYE...)

6 hours ago, s3igell said:

The CR3 format is quite new, and like always is essentially Undocumented by Canon.  There are teams of Open-Source Developers working to fully support the current CR3 format (Canon is known to tweak their CR2 format for each new Camera - nothing less expected for CR3), with some of the best having successes which are just now being integrated into the most common Open-Source Image Processing Library - libRAW.

Once that happens, the various End-User Software Developers will surely integrate the new libRAW as soon as possible - Guylain included.

Even the Big Boys - Microsoft and Apple - only gained initial CR3 Support a few months ago - https://petapixel.com/2019/07/12/microsoft-releases-free-raw-image-viewer-extension-for-windows-10/

Until then, you'll need to use the version of Canon DPP that came on your EOS R Support Disc.

Thank you for your detailed response!

I guess that I just assumed that since the .CR3 format works in Lightroom and on Mac's that it was available for everyone to use.

A really nice feature of BYEOS was to be able to view each sub that was taken in near realtime in the app. I used this all the time with my Canon 6D easy to spot a plane or satellite trail and remove it while capturing. 

As far as my question about RAW + JPG's, I really don't care about the JPG's, I use the RAW files for post processing and was just testing to see that if I saved in both formats BYEOS could display the JPG's in realtime while the RAW files would be used for post processing later.

Thank you!

ummm... if you take both RAW(CR3)+JPG... no image is displayed? 

That would be the easiest fix until CR3 are supported to display the JPG when both are downloaded.

6 minutes ago, admin said:

ummm... if you take both RAW(CR3)+JPG... no image is displayed? 

That would be the easiest fix until CR3 are supported to display the JPG when both are downloaded.

That is correct. If I configure BYEOS to save both RAW + JPG it will only save the RAW files to the hard drive. The JPG's are never saved. I am assuming that BYEOS can't display the JPG's as they are not saved? 

S3igell posted this above:

7 hours ago, s3igell said:

Also:

Several Canon DSLRs don't support "RAW+JPEG" output through the Canon SDK, even though the same is supported In-Camera via the SD Card.  (That too is totally up to Canon, not BYE...)

Thank you

BYE displayed my raw files during my initial testing with my R earlier today. I had it set to Raw only.

Are you sure your computer has the latest Canon software installed? I had to update everything for my PC to recognize the R camera (can be found direct from canon site). After doing so I confirmed my R worked with EOS Utility without issue. Once I had that I knew my setup worked and could focus on setting up BYE. 

Only problem is now EOS Utility keeps launching when I plug in the camera and have to close it and then launch BYE. 

But thankfully BYE appears to be working with the R. Ran several sessions of darks just to test but ran fine.

I was using the latest build (I think. Got the link directly from admin)

Should be mentioned the R requires to be in Manual mode like almost all other Canon models but somehow I forgot that in the last 3 or 4 years of being away.

I also have all in camera lens and image processing turned off, as well as LENR. 

The only error I got was when trying to use my RF lens and the frame and focus tool. It had an error about the focus mode or something like that but it worked just fine and focused. I removed the lens and just took darks with the body cap.

My point....is there is hope that this will officially be a supported model soon.

53 minutes ago, HyperCams said:

BYE displayed my raw files during my initial testing with my R earlier today. I had it set to Raw only.

Are you sure your computer has the latest Canon software installed? I had to update everything for my PC to recognize the R camera (can be found direct from canon site). After doing so I confirmed my R worked with EOS Utility without issue. Once I had that I knew my setup worked and could focus on setting up BYE. 

Only problem is now EOS Utility keeps launching when I plug in the camera and have to close it and then launch BYE. 

But thankfully BYE appears to be working with the R. Ran several sessions of darks just to test but ran fine.

I was using the latest build (I think. Got the link directly from admin)

Should be mentioned the R requires to be in Manual mode like almost all other Canon models but somehow I forgot that in the last 3 or 4 years of being away.

I also have all in camera lens and image processing turned off, as well as LENR. 

The only error I got was when trying to use my RF lens and the frame and focus tool. It had an error about the focus mode or something like that but it worked just fine and focused. I removed the lens and just took darks with the body cap.

My point....is there is hope that this will officially be a supported model soon.

Thank you Brent... and you are the authority on the EOS-R given you background in modifying cameras for so long.

So... if Brent says everything works then I trust everything works and it's just a mater of setting up the correct in-camera settings.

I would still like to address the RAW+JPG issue so one can take have both... but as Brent said use RAW only and it seems to work, including displaying images from CR3 provided you only select RAW and not RAW+JPG.  

I hope I'm reading this right.  

BTW, Brent was using BYE 3.1.1-RC3 which I will be uploading in the pre-release section later this week.

Guylain, that is correct. I didnt try Raw+jpeg but I could. I didnt see the point and have never used this setting for AP...

I was shooting darks but there was a black rectangle on the screen so pretty sure the image was being previewed in BYE...

Also, i wouldn't call me an authority on this camera. It is extremely complicated with a metric ton of settings and features. It is pretty intense. I figured it would work best with any and all internal processing turned off though it really shouldn't be applying any of these settings to Raw files...but best to leave off and minimize processing.

I do know the camera runs pretty hot with the EXIF temp at ~35°C with ambient ~22-24. But it was solid at 35 without much movement so not sure how accurate that is.

It's still very early for me and this model.

I will try and get out to verify a real world setup someday with lights/darks etc..... if this hurricane ever leaves.....got me sitting here wondering if I bought enough beer..

I don't think I did. LOL

Cheers!

There should be a setting with the EOS Utility to prevent it from running when Windows senses the camera.

The issue may be that running the EOS Utility before running BYE somehow allows WiFi to work. Perhaps due to some initialization that is not performed by the Canon SDK but is taken care of in EOS Utility.

2 hours ago, admin said:

Thank you Brent... and you are the authority on the EOS-R given you background in modifying cameras for so long.

So... if Brent says everything works then I trust everything works and it's just a mater of setting up the correct in-camera settings.

I would still like to address the RAW+JPG issue so one can take have both... but as Brent said use RAW only and it seems to work, including displaying images from CR3 provided you only select RAW and not RAW+JPG.  

I hope I'm reading this right.  

BYE Brent was using BYE 3.1.1-RC3 which I will be uploading in the pre-release section later this week.

Thank both of you for your feedback.

I am looking forward to testing out BYE 3.1.1-RC3 when it's available to try.

• Yes, I have all of the latest Canon apps installed and can view the RAW(CR3) files in DPP4
  • I don't have any processing or LENR enabled in camera.
  • Agree, I only use RAW for post processing. Only tried the RAW + JPG to see if that would assist with viewing the images as they were captured.

Thank you!

35 minutes ago, Ruilo said:

Hi! I share this video to see if i have any bad configuration or doing something wrong:

Yes, you are doing something wrong... sortof... you are using 3.1.18-RC2!

Those who report it working are using RC3 as per my previous posts.  I will upload RC3 later this week.

Regards,

1 minute ago, astroman133 said:

Also, It is better to send a log file to Guylain rather than post a video here. The text is too small to read and there may be an incorrect setting that you are not showing but will be in the log file.

I already sendend them, as always... Thanks 

PD: please, dont tell me more to send logs files as im doing it from the first post until now... :P

Sorry, no problem. Usually Guylain replies as to whether he found any issues when reviewing the log file. 

BTW, the Log History is only a partial log of what BYE is doing. The full log is written to a file that is stored in the  BackyardTEMP\Logs folder.

There is nothing to reply to, Ruilo is still using RC2 and it has already been confirmed that RC2 does not work.  Users saying it is working are using RC3 and I have not yet uploaded RC3 yet... but I will by the weekend.

@Rulio.  Don't worry about your trial period ending... I will grant you another trial for testing.

5 hours ago, admin said:

There is nothing to reply to, Ruilo is still using RC2 and it has already been confirmed that RC2 does not work.  Users saying it is working are using RC3 and I have not yet uploaded RC3 yet... but I will by the weekend.

@Rulio.  Don't worry about your trial period ending... I will grant you another trial for testing.

Thanks. i wondered if i had something wrong with my setup :P

Really want to test it 

I have downloaded the RC3 version posted above.

I removed the current version of BYE that was installed and installed the RC3 in a different directory as suggested before in this thread so that it will remember my settings(this worked for me)

I also checked the box for processor affinity as others have suggested.

I did the first round of testing with a Canon 5dm4. Everything works perfectly with the 5dm4. If raw+jpg is selected it will save both files to the hard drive. It also shows the last image taken in BYE. If raw only is selected, it will show the raw file that was last shot in BYE and also save the raw file to the hard drive.

I performed the same tests with the EOS R. BYE will never show the last image taken outside during an imaging run. It will show if you just do a snapshot. If raw only is selected for the save type, it does save the raw file to the hard drive, but will not show it inside of BYE.

The 5dm4 saves the raw files as CR2. The EOS R saves the raw files as CR3. 

Thank you for your report.  This is in line with what others have said.  CR3 is a new format and seems to be different enough that the current code to load the CR2 file will not load a CR3 file.  Gotta love unsupported SDK's with no manufacturer support.  I'll have to site on this one until I find a solution.

Alternatively I think I should display the JPG image when both RAW+JPG are selected.  This might me the best approach overall and should not be that hard to implement.

Regards,