Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Another Usb Cable For Nikon - It's Working!

cicsprog

Question

Since I'm having trouble getting one of these cables (wink), I did some GOOGLE searches and found this video of a guy who built another Computer controlled USB cable switch for Nikon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efK1RCPaSoY

I've order the parts today off of EBAY and will post back when I get it hooked up and working.  This way you are reliant on EBAY supplier and a little bit of work yourself.

Hi,

Got it working in the end. For some reason the windows would not allow me to change the com port from serial 11 to relay but I managed to do it in the end and ignored all the warnings about devices not working so I choose com 8 and in the BYN I chose com 8 relay and all is good  so now I am waiting for a clear evening that have been rare for past 4 months here in the NW of UK. I have had 5 imaging sessions in all since last NOV.

Best wishes,

A.G

Well, I thought the cable was working fine when it fired the shutter, but now that the weather has allowed me to take some photos, I realize that it only fires the shutter for about 3 seconds when it is in bulb and set to 3 (which is supposed to be 3 minutes?) right??  It works great up to 30 seconds.  when i first fire the shutter in bulb mode, the software says    "cable init"    but only goes for 3 seconds.  I checked device manager and it is set for com 3 and I have the software set at "relay com 3".  What am I missing??  would really like to get this cable working.  I had to take several 6-7 minute exposures the "old" way------would appreciate some help----------thanks

Perhaps someone could help me here. I wired up the KMTronic relay box with my D5100. Got a single picture to capture successfully. The rest of the test captures I get the following error log;

21:08:25  D5100 CONNECTED!

21:11:37  Imaging session started.
21:11:39  Imaging session cancelled
21:11:39  [kNkMAIDResult_DeviceBusy] (kNkMAIDCommand_CapStart, 17, kNkMAIDDataType_Null, 0)

The BYN circle shows as Busy for 120 seconds then terminates. I had the Bulb set for 1 second. The relay box tests ok - the green LED functions nicely and you can hear it switch on and off. The issue seems to be the connection to the camera, so I'm figuring the wiring may be poor quality or something. 
Thanks 

I had Serial Com4 selected in BYN, which is what the laptop Device Manager showed. I did obtain a single succesful capture but mostly not. So I must have been connected at some point. Isn't this being evidenced by the Cable Test button in BYN successfully firing the relay box green LED light? I will try reordering device connection sequence and let you know how it goes. I find BYN connects more easily if I connect the camera to laptop first and turn on camera then open BYN. Thanks for steering me towards the BYN connection setting.

I had Serial Com4 selected in BYN, which is what the laptop Device Manager showed. I did obtain a single succesful capture but mostly not. So I must have been connected at some point. Isn't this being evidenced by the Cable Test button in BYN successfully firing the relay box green LED light? I will try reordering device connection sequence and let you know how it goes. I find BYN connects more easily if I connect the camera to laptop first and turn on camera then open BYN. Thanks for steering me towards the BYN connection setting.

Yes, the test cable button is meant for that so it looks like you did everything right in BYN.

I meant to write RELAY COM4, sorry. OK, I've discovered it takes BULB photos only without the camera lens. With the camera lens on the shutter does not release in BULB. I'll need to try a telescope next and see if that works.

SOLVED for my 5100! BYN RelayCom setting successful in Bulb mode with KMTronic relay box, once the camera is attached to telescope. Bulb setting in BYN did not work for me with the Nikon lens attached which, of course, I was trying to do in day time testing. 

Hi Xophe92

Can I get your permission to use your code as a codebase and show a DIY project?

I've already tried on a $3 Arduino Pro Micro and uses 1-transistor switch to do the Nikon DSLR remote shutter.

Works fine and cheap.  Soldering is required.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Hi !

If someone is interrested I created an arduino sketch (see below) that is able to understand what says the KMTronic_USB_Timer program presented in the video.

Then the pi 13 (which can be changed) takes the role of the pin 7 of the following scheme (http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/CanonRelease.html).

A tiny circuit with a transistor a diode and a resistor is sufficient. 

With the same external site, I saw that some softwares are using the RTS pin of the serial cable (which is available on "advanced" USB to TTL cables).

I ordered one and when it arrives I start my trial period. I will keep you informed.

/*
Communication Parameters:
8 Data, 1 Stop, No Parity
Baud rate : 9600 
Commands:
OFF command: FF 01 00 (HEX) or 255 1 0 (DEC)
ON command: FF 01 01 (HEX) or 255 1 1 (DEC)
*/
long incommingCommand = 0;
int incomingByte = 0;   // for incoming serial data

void setup() {
        Serial.begin(9600);     // opens serial port, sets data rate to 9600 bps
        pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {

if (Serial.available() > 0) {

incomingByte = Serial.read();

if (incomingByte==255) incommingCommand = 0;

incommingCommand = incommingCommand*256;
                incommingCommand  = incommingCommand + incomingByte;

if (incommingCommand == 16711936)                    //alumer
                  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);

if (incommingCommand == 16711937)                    //éteindre
                  digitalWrite(13, LOW);

}
}

I have been using your premium BackyardEOS for a year with my Canon 450D XSi — it is brilliant!  I’ve linked and raved about your software on my taosastronomer.com site below.  Thanks for a great product.

I want to begin using my Nikon 5100 with your new software as well.  Will the Hap Griffin IR serial cable work with your software, or do I need to purchase the Shoestring Astronomy version?  I especially like your interface, so I really want to use your acquisition software.

The BYE Camera Support Grid indicates that BYE is compatible with Hap Griffin shutter control cables, but the BYN Camera Support Grid does not indicate that same compatibility. You should ask Hap Griffin whether his cables are compatible with BackyardNikon.

Shoestring Astronomy also makes an wireless IR model for some Nikon cameras, but they recommend use of a wired remote whenever possible.  Given that, unless wireless IR shutter control is a requirement you may be better off to run the wire.

OK Guys..

Hope this is right area to post this..

The cable relay,well what if my laptop does not have a serial port,just usb's..How can I connect my D-5100 to take more than a 30 sec exp. without a serial port ?

Is there something that will plug into the usb port ??.

Thanks for any info/help..

No, the cable solution in this thread is for a user who has a camera that requires an additional cable between the PC and the camera to control the shutter for BULB exposures.

The D5500 does not require the second cable; only the single USB cable between the camera and the PC.

What you want is a USB Active Extension Cable. This would connect between the existing 24" USB cable and the PC to allow you to put the PC further away from the mount.

No, the cable solution in this thread is for a user who has a camera that requires an additional cable between the PC and the camera to control the shutter for BULB exposures.

The D5500 does not require the second cable; only the single USB cable between the camera and the PC.

What you want is a USB Active Extension Cable. This would connect between the existing 24" USB cable and the PC to allow you to put the PC further away from the mount.

Awesome..thanks. Is there a limit to the length ?

Awesome..thanks. Is there a limit to the length ?

For any combined length up to 10ft, you can use a simple high-quality USB2 A-A Extension Cable such as this:  AmazonBasics USB 2.0 Extension 3 meter

For any length up to 100ft, you can use an Active Repeater USB2 Extension Cable such as this:  Sabrent 100ft Active USB2 Extension

(Make sure to go for Higher-Quality even if somewhat Higher Priced.  Make sure to use a Powered USB2 Hub at the far end - the Active Repeater devices within these Cables consume all of the Power provided by a standard Laptop USB2 Port.)

I bought a USB relay that is assigned COM5, but it's not KMTronic - it's SMAKN LCUS-1 (http://www.icstation.com/lcus-relay-module-ch340-intelligent-control-switch-relay-module-smart-home-p-12488.html). I have tested it manually with my Nikon D5100 using the KMTronic test app, and it works, but the relay ON and OFF commands are completely different. Instead of FF 01 01 for on and FF 01 00 for off, it's A0 01 01 A2 for on and A0 01 00 A1 for off. So, it doesn't work on BYN, I presume because it uses different code? Am I overlooking something? If not, any chance support could be added? 

Thanks!