Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Picture size

darwin-t

Question

I am using BYE 3.2.0 trial version with  a Canon D1000.

I have the picture size in the camera set to Large JPG.

BYE shows RAW + Large JPG. 

When I record photos in Planetary, it makes the pictures 752 x 512

It does not save RAW photos, nor do I want them

This is not going to work for me.

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Planetary videos are created by assembling individual LiveView frames. LiveView frames are scaled and sized by the camera to fit on the camera's LiveView screen. The Canon SDK  downloads these frames as provided by the camera as small JPG images. There is no choice regarding the size of the images.

Planets are tiny and only take up a small portion of a full-sized still image. Users who are shooting planets will normally use the 5X zoom feature of LiveView. This provides a cropped image that has a 1-to-1 ratio of sensor pixels to image pixels. This is the full resolution of the camera.

BYE can only work with images that the camera provides, so you are more or less stuck with this. If you want a full-sized, full-resolution image then you need to use the Imaging screen functionality, or use the camera untethered to shoot HD video, which BYE and the Canon SDK do not support.

It looks like Imaging mode can only be used in Bulb mode. Changing the shutter speed gives no way to take exposures.

This is a big disappointment to me... It looks like I will have to use the multiple exposure mode in the camera, which is about 3 frames per second. This camera does not record video

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize how it works. BYE is still worthwhile to me. I will be buying it.

You are incorrect that Imaging mode only supports bulb exposures. As you can see from my screen grab below, for my T5i with BYE, the full range of exposures is available. Bulb is only one choice. While the dropdown list does not is not large enough to display all the shutter speeds I can scroll down to the bottom of the list to display the shortest exposures. When Shutter settings other than Bulb are selected, the Duration column in the capture plan is disabled.

image.png.d85dcc1c561f50022d42ca3ff3d3fc3d.png

So can one set it up to make multiple exposures?

Oh, I see it now! D'OH!!! Thank you very much for educating me on this! I'll try it out in the morning on the next ISS pass

Update: It takes about 10 seconds per photo. I guess I need to look for a Canon camera that takes video.

Thanks again for your help. I am going to try some deep sky stuff tonight.

3 minutes ago, darwin-t said:

So can one set it up to make multiple exposures?

Multiple Exposures is the purpose of the "Exposures" Field in the Capture Plan (see Rick's screenshot above).  You can select up to 999 Exposures for a specific Row in the Plan.  With normal DSO Exposures for a 1000D (attached to either Lens or Scope) being in terms of 30-300 seconds each, that single row will easily cover a full night's AP Imaging.

If you need to take pictures back to back without much delay in between images you need to save to CARD only.  You will still have a slight delay (the time it takes to save the image to card) but it will be much faster because there is no physical download of the image to PC... it might be just enough to satisfy your use case.

Also, you should familiarize yourself with the operation of BYE by reading the manual, which I will say has grown to be a bit out-of-date. There are also older videos posted by Guylain and other users that demo BYE. You can also play with BYE and your camera with a lens on the camera while sitting at your kitchen table during the day. There is absolutely no need to waste a clear dark night frustratingly learning how to use BYE.

On 11/11/2020 at 7:10 PM, AaronSmall said:

Darwin,

I used BYE for an ISS Transit a year or so ago.   Here is a link to the topic:

That is a really great gif!

My ISS photography is completely different. In order to use a DSLR for it, I really need to get one that does video. Here is my page about ISS photography. My mount can track satellites using a program called Sky Tracker.

http://darwinsastroworld.com/ISS2.htm