Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

BYEOS not downloading once in awhile.

skycamper

Question

After freezing my butt off all night till three am I may have about 20 minutes worth of the horse head. I kept having to restart BYEOS.  I noticed my photos were not being downloaded. The camera would be running and counting down and I would hear the finished chime but the photos would not pile up as thumbnails at the bottom of the screen. No photo displayed at all!!

In addition, every now and again I would frame and focus and move over to imaging, set my length and ISO but then notice the start capture button is not highlighted and I can't click it. I'm stuck sitting there.  Does this have something to do with keeping an SD card in the camera or the battery being low?  Restarting BYEOS helps which is really weird.

Thanks everyone.

Abraham

p.s. I posted this in cloudy nights as well (full disclosure ;-) )

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

28 answers to this question

I upgraded to the premuim edition just for fun, Im thinking of running two DSLRs for twice the capture of the same target.  I just need a 2nd refractor.  I have three DSLRs  is this possible with BYEOS?

Thanks

Abraham

Guylain,

Would a firmware update on my EOS help with the SDK error? Or a possibility the firmware is corrupt? Current version is 1.0.4. I don't see a newer one.

Thanks

Abraham

Good question, I don't know.  But, the issue is internal to the camera and/or the SDK.  Since the SDK is able to catch the error and return an error type (EDS_ERR_STREAM_OPEN_ERROR) it leads me to believe that the camera itself is causing the issue otherwise the SDK would report a more generic error.

Another canon reply after I asked them if they will offer any help at all with an SDK error which I still don't know what SDK means..LOL

Dear Abraham Shadbeh,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Backyard EOS is not a Canon application. The Canon SDK was used to create it, but you would need to contact the publishers of that software in order to get support.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Trevis

Technical Support Representative

Dear Abraham Shadbeh,

Here is Canon's response.....they basically told me to search the web if this keeps happening. What am I missing here?? Canon doesn't support firmware sold with the camera?

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding the difficulty you've encountered with the Canon Software Developer's Kit (SDK) for your Canon camera. I can understand the frustration this can cause and I'm happy to assist you.

Assistance with the SDKs is limited to the examples in the library at the SDK site. Because we receive no training for the Canon SDK, we are unable to offer support for them. I'm very sorry for the difficulty this causes.

Having said that, you may want to perform an internet search for "Canon SDK forum", or something similar. You may be able to find the answers you're seeking.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Richard

Technical Support Representative

Email is not a secure form of communication. Please do not send us your credit card number or other personal or financial account information via email.

----- Original Message -----

Date: 1/5/2016 5:23:03 PM

To: "digicam_sdk@cits.canon.com" <digicam_sdk@cits.canon.com>

Subject: Canon SDK downloading error

Just to clarify...The Canon Software Development Kit (SDK) is a software library that is provided on an as-is basis to 3rd party developers, like Guylain, for writing Windows applications that can communicate with and control a supported Canon EOS camera when it is tethered to a Windows PC.  The software is in the form of a Windows DLL.  It is not firmware that installed and runs in the camera.

Perhaps Guylain has a different idea, but my interpretation of the error you are getting is that the SDK is having a problem when it attempts to allocate memory when downloading an image from the camera.  This does not seem to be a camera issue, but a PC issue.

Are you now running the latest version of BYE (3.1.5)?  What model of camera? What version of Windows? Have you tried replacing the USB cable?  How long a cable are you using? If you are using BYE 3.1.5, which version of the SDK are you using when you connect BYE to the camera (Canon, Canon215, or Canon210)?

These are all questions that were asked in previous posts, but never answered.

Canon also provides a tethering program of its own that can also control the camera via the SDK.  It is called the Canon EOS Utility. It comes on the CD that came with your camera or you can download it from the Canon web site.  It may be useful to see if the EOS utility shows the same symptoms as BYE.  But be careful...

* BYE and the EOS Utility cannot both be connected to the camera at the same time.

* The default setting for the EOS Utility is to automatically connect and you will need to find the setting that controls that behavior and change it

* BYE has a default setting that will prevent it from trying to connect with the camera if the EOS Utility is running (even if it is not connected).

Still with all those complications it may be useful to see if the EOS Utility functions correctly.  If it does not work, then at least you could go back to Canon and report an issue with a Canon product.

Hi Richard,

The Software Development Kit (SDK) is provided as-is and is NOT supported by Canon.  They make that very clear.  It is there for the grabs for people like me to develop apps as Rick indicated.

Their answer is typical and expected with regards to the SDK. 

The thing is since this is an SDK error I'm willing to bet you would get the same error once in a while with EOS Utility.  Then you have a claim to call Canon.  BUT, EOS Utility do not have any log files that I'm aware of so you would not even get to know what error code was generated and there not able to let Canon what the actual error is :(

Regards,

I think Im beginning to understand now regarding what SDK is,   Thanks for your guys help.    It may be awhile before I know exactly whats happening though.    For now,  here is their last response which is similar to what Astroman133 stated.

(canon representative)

I would like to get a little more information from you regarding your camera and your computer.  I want to make sure that this is not a problem with the camera.

• What model of camera do you have?
  • What operating system are you using?
  • Are you able to download images and save them to the computer using the EOS Utility software that came with the camera?  If so, then the camera is just fine.  The error would then be isolated to the software or its settings on your computer. 
  • What location is this "Backyard EOS" software attempting to save to?  Does the folder exist?  Is it a folder that is on a drive in the computer (a "local" drive), or is the folder on a network drive?  Do you have write permissions to this folder?  If you're on Windows 8 or 10, what happens if you right click the shortcut for the software, and select the option to run it in "compatibility mode" for an older version of Windows, or select the option to run it as an administrator? 

I look forward to your reply with the information I've requested.  Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Dirk     Technical Support Representative

So since this does not happen on every outing in the middle of the night I may not be able to replicate this error soon but here is what I do know:

1. This problem exists accross more than one USB cord.

2. Im running windows 8.1    2.3 gigherz DELL 3520 laptop with 500GB HD and 8 Gig RAM

3. Canon (T4i) Camera firmware 1.0.4 I dont know the SDK version ...how would I find that?    BYEOS version  has now been upgraded to premium for running two cameras!! . I have not tested it yet.

4. I dont know enough about computers to know if I have admin privileges but I can look that up and see whats up. Typically my photos are downloaded into my BYEOS picture file in my photos.   So if I didn't have admin privileges I wouldn't be able to get any of the photos at all.

5. I can run the canon utility and see if that functions ok.    I dont believe I ever installed it but I can check on that and remove it if necessary.

I really do appreciate the support im getting here and at canon too.  Like Ive said this problem is not severe but has happened at least 4-5 times in about two dozen imagining runs over the last 15 months or so.  I was also using an older version of BYEOS not the new one.  

Thanks! 

Abraham

Cool, looks like someone at Canon is interested in finding out what is happening.  If this conversation gets deep on their side and wish involve SDK developers I'd be willing to be part of that conversation at an SDK level.  Just keep that in mind... though I doubt it will get that detail on their side... but we never know.

Regards,

So since this does not happen on every outing in the middle of the night I may not be able to replicate this error soon but here is what I do know:

1. This problem exists accross more than one USB cord.

2. Im running windows 8.1    2.3 gigherz DELL 3520 laptop with 500GB HD and 8 Gig RAM

3. Canon (T4i) Camera firmware 1.0.4 I dont know the SDK version ...how would I find that?    BYEOS version  has now been upgraded to premium for running two cameras!! . I have not tested it yet.

4. I dont know enough about computers to know if I have admin privileges but I can look that up and see whats up. Typically my photos are downloaded into my BYEOS picture file in my photos.   So if I didn't have admin privileges I wouldn't be able to get any of the photos at all.

5. I can run the canon utility and see if that functions ok.    I dont believe I ever installed it but I can check on that and remove it if necessary.

I really do appreciate the support im getting here and at canon too.  Like Ive said this problem is not severe but has happened at least 4-5 times in about two dozen imagining runs over the last 15 months or so.  I was also using an older version of BYEOS not the new one.  

Thanks! 

Abraham

Abraham,

I am a long time user and participant in this forum and the Yahoo! group before that.  I have never heard of anyone having an issue that was either caused by or fixed by a firmware issue in the camera, except perhaps by someone who installed the Magic Lantern firmware and was not able to take advantage of its new features. So I would say that as long as you use the camera as it came from Canon, that is unlikely to be the issue.

When you attempt to connect BYE to your camera you see the following popup window:

post-2029-0-19110200-1452103927_thumb.png

Your selection here is what determines which SDK version you will be using. The top 2 options (Canon & Canon215) should both work equally well for your T4i.  However, some people have reported issues with the latest release of the SDK (the top option). So, if you typically select the top option, I would suggest that you select the second, Canon215, option and see if your symptoms disappear or change.

Please let us know if updating to the latest version of BYE has changed your symptoms.

Thanks Astroman!

Ive actually never seen this window when using BYEOS.  However Ive only been using BYEOS version of 2 years ago and have never upgraded until a few days ago to the premium version....  Is this a window on the back of the camera or will this pop up on my computer?   Sorry for the newbie question.

Abraham

That is a screen shot of a popup window from BYE 3.1.5 that is displayed on the PC immediately after you click the Connect button. Of course, you may be able to see the checkbox at the lower left corner which allows you to "Remember my selection and don't ask me again". If you mark that check box BYE will take your answer and not ask you again.  It is possible to change your response. You can do so by changing a setting on the Advanced Settings dialog which is "Ask for camera drivers".

If you were automatically using a previous reply but have forgotten which version of the SDK you selected, you can look through a log file where you previously connected BYE to the camera.  Here is an example from one of my logs:

2016-01-03 11:48:34,119 [Main] DEBUG - ButtonPlus_MouseClick(btnCam2 = 'DIGIC 3/4/5/6 cameras generally manufactured between 2008 and 2014')

You can see that I chose the middle option when I connected my T5i.

I hope this helps.

I connected two cameras last night. Ran through 20-30 darks on each camera without problems using dual camera mode.... it was seamless and sublime!...  Ive not gotten back to canon yet but will give them some more info.  I still need to test the canon utility.  

I am worried about the difficulty in running two cameras having limited knowledge about stacking and aligning the images. Ive only used DSS for stacking which anyone can do.   I am worried about having to crop my photos if the two cameras are not aligned.  I guess I'll try in the daytime first.

Also,  I noticed Majic Lantern on one of the scan disk SD cards that came with one of the cameras.  I dont see myself using it but could this have caused a conflict with BYE?

I don't use DSS, so I don't know how to direct it to align and stack 2 images.  I use both ImagesPlus and CCDStack 2 which will easily do that.  Because I often shoot with a monochrome CCD camera I have to align my stacked luminance, red, green, and blue images.  What you need to do with both cameras is very similar.

Cropping would be done after the 2 stacked images are combined, so not a big deal.

That said, the process is more complicated. That is why I suggested taking the baby steps.  Learn how to get good data (pointing, framing, focusing, autoguiding, etc) and process the sub-exposures down to a single image (calibration, normalization, grading, data rejection, aligning, combining) while only running a single camera.  Once you get good at those steps, then I would suggest that you mimic two cameras by shooting the same target during a separate session (on another night) and try to combine that stacked image with the first session's stacked image. Then when that process is well understood you can extend your capture workflow to include dual cameras.

Understanding how to combine data from different imaging sessions is a very useful skill to have in your toolbox. 

At least, if I were just starting out that is how I would do it.

I connected two cameras last night. Ran through 20-30 darks on each camera without problems using dual camera mode.... it was seamless and sublime!...  Ive not gotten back to canon yet but will give them some more info.  I still need to test the canon utility.  

I am worried about the difficulty in running two cameras having limited knowledge about stacking and aligning the images. Ive only used DSS for stacking which anyone can do.   I am worried about having to crop my photos if the two cameras are not aligned.  I guess I'll try in the daytime first.

Also,  I noticed Majic Lantern on one of the scan disk SD cards that came with one of the cameras.  I dont see myself using it but could this have caused a conflict with BYE?

Your main issue will be to get Both Scopes ABSOLUTELY Coaxial.  

Even a Micron of "wedge" at the Scope Mount will cause significant Offsets within the Images - probably 10's of arc-minutes (far too much to just Crop-Off).

So, you will want to to look at Finely-Adjustable Mount for one of the two Scopes:  ADM Accessories Max Guider HD Mount

Your main issue will be to get Both Scopes ABSOLUTELY Coaxial.  

Even a Micron of "wedge" at the Scope Mount will cause significant Offsets within the Images - probably 10's of arc-minutes (far too much to just Crop-Off).

So, you will want to to look at Finely-Adjustable Mount for one of the two Scopes:  ADM Accessories Max Guider HD Mount

I own the MAX-DSBS and it is an awesome unit.  It is designed to carry 20lbs.

BTW, I'm an ADM Accessories dealer... yeah I know... a shameless plug.

Regards,

I had the same issue when I was running low on disk space (had around 1.5gb) and was having the images write to an external drive until I had time to free up space. I was thinking I was a throughput issue with all of the USB traffic or potentially some sort of caching issue. I freed up space and had the images write to the internal drive directly and that fixed the issue.

Are the images in the BackyardTemp\Download folder?

Cold can affect batteries.

What version of BYE? What model of camera, If you had a choice, which SDK did you select at connection time (Canon, Canon215, or Canon210)?

I don't know what would cause the Start Capture button to be disabled.

No worries about posting issues encountered on Cloudy Nights or anywhere else; posting success stories as well is issues you encounter is all part of troubleshooting.  However, please be aware that I no longer post of offer any kind of support on Cloudy Nights.  I have had too many issues with the moderators treating us (the small vendors) as second class citizens.  I have had enough of them.  They can rule their kingdom as they wish; but I'm out.

Okay, to the issue at hand.

It looks like the camera is not firing the image ready for download and there BYE is not notify f the image and because it does not get notified it does not have a memory pont to where the actual image in the camera memory.

This is just a hunch based on your description and past experience.  However, I can only confirm this (or rule it out) with the log files.  Please send the log files, instructions here.

As Rick said, are the images in "My Pictures\BackyardTEMP"?  If yes then the above hunch is not the cause.  Again, the log files are required to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards,

Thanks Guys,  Sorry about the Cloudy Nights issues. In general BYEOS is a great program which I'll mention and which is why I want to keep using it.  This problem only burned up 10 or 15 minutes of my time but I dont want it to happen again.   Im using a Dell 3520 laptop, 2.3 gighertz 8 gig RAM  plenty of storage space.  Batteries fully charged and using AC power.  

Log Files sent as requested, hope theres some info to help diagnose this.  

Thanks so much.

Abraham

I got the log files.  Thank you.

Your camera is reporting an error when create the memory stream to retrieve the image form the camera.  This is a Canon SDK error and there is not mush I can do with those.

2016-01-03 00:41:38,926 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(317066960)] INFO  - Running (log): EDSDK.EdsCreateFileStream(dirItemInfo.szFileName, EDSDK.EdsFileCreateDisposition.CreateAlways, EDSDK.EdsAccess.ReadWrite, out stream)
2016-01-03 00:41:38,930 [OnDirItemRequestTransfer(317066960)] INFO  - WARNING EDS_ERR_STREAM_OPEN_ERROR : EDSDK.EdsCreateFileStream(dirItemInfo.szFileName, EDSDK.EdsFileCreateDisposition.CreateAlways, EDSDK.EdsAccess.ReadWrite, out stream) 

Please upgrade to 3.1.5, you are still on 3.0.3 which over 2 years old.  The upgrade is free and the instructions are on the upgrade page.

You can also try to run BYN with admin privileges; this may work since the error is related to wither create the file or retrieving it from the camera's internal memory.

Ok I will try this. Thank you for looking into it so quickly especially on the weekend here. Is there any recommendations when leaving an SD card in or changing batteries? Just press disconnect before performing the activity? Would a software upgrade for my camera help if there is such a thing from canon?

Thanks

Abraham

Archived