Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

D300 Problem

krphotogs

Question

I apologize if this has been asked, but I could not find it. After months of winter, I fired up the SW tonight using a D300 and DSUB cable. Live mode (focus) works fine so the DSUB is working. But, when I take a picture it never downloads and the SW hangs. For some reason it will not download the photos - and it is probably a cockpit error but beats me. This worked during the Beta tests. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Kevin

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 answers to this question

Problem solved - wish I knew what solved it.... I went out today with another PC and D300; tried original config - did not work. Tried second D300 - did not work. I loaded SW on the 2nd laptop - worked with both cameras. Went back to the original laptop and D300 - did not work. I then de-installed the beta version (why, just to do something) and rebooted my laptop - works fine.

My apologies for wasting your time.... supposed to be clear tonight!!!

Kevin

The DSUSB cable is only used to control the shutter for computer-controlled BULB exposures, so I don't think that it is used for LiveView control.

I would try operating BYN without the DSUSB cable (only the regular USB control cable).  Test that LiveView still works and then try taking short exposures to see if the camera is controlled correctly for non-Bulb exposures that are shorter than 30 seconds.  You do not need to have the camera connected to a scope to try this, so you won't have to wait for, and waste, imaging conditions for this testing.

Once you have determined that all is working for short exposures then connect the DSUSB cable between the camera and the PC (but do not disconnect the USB control cable) and configure BYN to use the DSUSB cable.

If you look back through the BYN topics you will see a mix of people with a similar issue.  In a few cases the issue was a bad DSUSB cable. In most cases it was due to incorrect configuration of the DSUSB cable or the fact that when people connected the DSUSB cable they disconnected the USB cable. The DSUSB cable is used only for shutter control during BULB exposures.  The USB cable is used for downloading and the remaining camera control functions.

Thanks - I sent the email with the logs. I neglected to add there are no cards in the camera.

Rick thanks for your info. As I stated, I had used this a lot last year in the Beta SW and worked perfectly. I understand the difference between a DSUB and USB cable and I am going to try today what you suggest. I thought the DSUB cable was necessary for LiveView but perhaps I am wrong. My memory being what it is, I vaguely remember something similar last year but, damn, CRS strikes again....

Kevin 

Also remember that USB Cables, USB Ports, and USB Device Manager Configurations can Change or even Deteriorate over time.

Test with a Different USB Cable for your main DSLR to PC (non-DSUSB) Connection.  Test using a Different USB Port.

I'd suggest that you try the same tests using Nikon Capture Control Pro2, but it seems to be an Additional Cost and not a Supplied Utility. (Sorry, I'm a Canon user for whom the Canon "EOS Utility" App is always included Free.)

It looks like you may have mirror lock enabled and this may be the root cause.

Can you please verify mirror lock and make sure it is disabled, then try again.

Keep me posted please.

Regards,

There are only 2 ways I know to turn mirror lock on - one is MUP on the mode control (need to push shutter release twice, 1 to raise it and second to open shutter). The other is a delay - push shutter and mirror folds up, then a second or two later shutter opens. Neither are on. I can try a second D300 tomorrow.

Kevin

There are only 2 ways I know to turn mirror lock on - one is MUP on the mode control (need to push shutter release twice, 1 to raise it and second to open shutter). The other is a delay - push shutter and mirror folds up, then a second or two later shutter opens. Neither are on. I can try a second D300 tomorrow.

Kevin

Keep me posted.  I'll continue to dig into the log files as well.  This is an odd issue for sure :(

Regards,

Archived