Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

BYE Busy and Hangs

Tbear

Question

I've been using BYE for a year now with no issues. Twice yesterday while taking 90 second subs at ISO 800 with my Canon M6 Mark II ( which I have always used ), I went out to check my system and it was hung with the word BUSY. I found a couple of posts on this forum of folks with the same issue but I could never find how they resolved the issue.

Attached is my log. The last picture that downloaded was at 11:05 so I started the log at 11 pm since the entire thing was too big to load.  That was after taking pictures for the last hour or so. Same computer, camera, software, hardware for the last year - no change that I know of in my system because if it works I don't mess with it! 

Camera is hooked directly into my computer USB port; other devices (guide camera, polemaster, etc) are on a powered hub. I've got the connection to the camera strain relieved so it doesn't wriggle the connection as the mount tracks. The second time it happened, I shut the camera and computer completely off, started over, and after about an hour it happened again.

Using an Acer Concept D computer - fast microprocessor and lot of solid state disk space. I checked that its not saving the pictures on the camera card. 

Running latest version of BYE premium.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

BYE BUSY issue log.txt

3 hours ago, astroman133 said:

The log file that you attached appears to be incomplete and does not include  when BYE first connected with th camera or when BYE attempts to download the 2nd image from the camera.

Since the log file was so large, I tried to just load the last part. Here is the entire thing. I guess I have to load it in 5 replies. Thanks for your interest.

I attached a zipped file in a later post.

Please follow the instructions I provided when sending logs via email, posting them here cost $ in the long run in hosting fees.

There is nothing in the log file... but that sometimes is a clue in of itself.

Your last picture was at 11:05pm like you said.... then you clicked abort at 11:11pm... in between nothing except for the attempt to read the weather.  It's almost like the camera was taking a break.  The software seemed to be running fine since the ReadWeatherCenter took place every minute in between.

The camera was not disconnected, no evidence of this in the log file.... but it did take a break :( 

Would your usb port set to sleep in power settings?

2022-01-17 23:05:11,048 [MoveFile(Normal)] INFO  - moved to C:\Users\mitro\Documents\Astrophotography\NGC 1975 running man\NGC1975 take 2_LIGHT_90s_800iso_+18c_ra(5.60743)_dec(-4.67323)_20220117-23h03m36s304ms.CR3
2022-01-17 23:05:11,048 [6] INFO  - CameraPropertyChangedArgs fired: SensorTemperature    = '+18c'
2022-01-17 23:05:11,048 [6] INFO  - CameraPropertyChangedArgs fired: SensorTemperature    = '+18c'
2022-01-17 23:05:11,048 [6] INFO  - NGC1975 take 2_LIGHT_90s_800iso_+18c_ra(5.60743)_dec(-4.67323)_20220117-23h03m36s304ms.CR3
2022-01-17 23:05:35,845 [ReadWeatherCenter(Normal)] DEBUG - No weather provider configured.
2022-01-17 23:06:36,738 [ReadWeatherCenter(Normal)] DEBUG - No weather provider configured.
2022-01-17 23:07:37,647 [ReadWeatherCenter(Normal)] DEBUG - No weather provider configured.
2022-01-17 23:08:38,571 [ReadWeatherCenter(Normal)] DEBUG - No weather provider configured.
2022-01-17 23:09:39,448 [ReadWeatherCenter(Normal)] DEBUG - No weather provider configured.
2022-01-17 23:10:40,345 [ReadWeatherCenter(Normal)] DEBUG - No weather provider configured.
2022-01-17 23:11:31,230 [Main] DEBUG - ButtonPlus_MouseClick(btnAbort = 'Abort')

1 hour ago, admin said:

Please follow the instructions I provided when sending logs via email, posting them here cost $ in the long run in hosting fees.

There is nothing in the log file... but that sometimes is a clue in of itself.

My apologies. The good news is that BYE has worked so well for the last year that I've had no reason to access this forum - thus my unfamiliarity with protocol. Now I know better.

Your assessment is perfectly accurate. There seems to be no assignable cause.  I just took 40 90sec 'armchair' photos without a hiccup.

The only 'different' thing that I have done for a few weeks now is that I use BYE live view to get to my target and focus it the best I can, then I disconnect from BYE and connect the camera to NINA because I've been trying its autofocus routine and comparing to how I did in BYE. After it autofocuses, I disconnect the camera from NINA, reconnect it to BYE and let BYE do the rest. I like that BYE estimates the temperature in the camera and includes it in the filename. It helps me keep my darks more organized. Sometimes when I reconnect to BYE after using NINA, it shuts itself down ( crashes ) when I hit the connect button and I have to restart it. 

Do you think that switching back and forth like that could mess up the camera, its drivers, or USB connection?. I usually leave the camera plugged into the USB port when I cycle the camera on and off, but sometimes I don't.  Don't remember what I did last night.

Also, I've been using NINA to autofocus for many imaging sessions over the last six weeks or so, but the issue just occurred last night - actually occurred twice. 

Thanks for your input and expertise. I'm over my pay grade on this issue!!!! Any incite from you would be great.

I checked the USB extensible Host controller for the USB ports and the boxes WERE checked to allow the computer to power the port down. I unchecked it. The actual USB power settings for the ports did not have the boxed checked. I'm not sure which controls what and if this could be an issue. In any case, none of them now say the USB ports can be powered down.

Thanks for your input and expertise. I'm over my pay grade on this issue!!!! Any incite from you would be great.

Disconnecting and reconnecting is inconsequential, it can't be related as all camera sessions are insular from one another.

The only advice I can recommend is to go to advance settings and enable processor affinity and see it occurs again.

You said: "I like that BYE estimates the temperature in the camera and includes it in the filename"

This is incorrect! It is NOT an estimate that is made by BYE. The camera includes the internal temperature in the metadata for the RAW image. BYE reads that value and displays it in the Camera Information Center. If that value is configured to be in the name of the image file then it also goes there.

16 hours ago, Tbear said:

I like that BYE estimates the temperature in the camera and includes it in the filename.

As Rick states, it is not BYE that produces the Temperature Reading.  AND it is not an "Estimate", but rather is produced and recorded by a Thermal Sensor embedded somewhere (Canon won't document exactly) on the Logic Board(s) that back the Camera Sensor and provide the DIGICx Processor.  This reading is consistent enough for use in matching Darks to Lights, and to provide the user with a metric of which usage practices induce Sensor Heat issues.

3 hours ago, astroman133 said:

You said: "I like that BYE estimates the temperature in the camera and includes it in the filename"

This is incorrect! It is NOT an estimate that is made by BYE. The camera includes the internal temperature in the metadata for the RAW image. BYE reads that value and displays it in the Camera Information Center. If that value is configured to be in the name of the image file then it also goes there.

I know that BYE just displays and records it. Perhaps I didn't state it precisely enough. I'm happy to see the temperature included in the file name. I know it comes from a sensor buried in the camera somewhere and is not necessarily the sensor temperature. However, as I said, it helps me keep my darks straight for matching purposes.

1 hour ago, s3igell said:

As Rick states, it is not BYE that produces the Temperature Reading.  AND it is not an "Estimate", but rather is produced and recorded by a Thermal Sensor embedded somewhere (Canon won't document exactly) on the Logic Board(s) that back the Camera Sensor and provide the DIGICx Processor.  This reading is consistent enough for use in matching Darks to Lights, and to provide the user with a metric of which usage practices induce Sensor Heat issues.

I know that BYE just displays and records it. Perhaps I didn't state it precisely enough. I'm happy to see the temperature included in the file name. I know it comes from a sensor buried in the camera somewhere and is not necessarily the sensor temperature. However, as I said, it helps me keep my darks straight for matching purposes.

5 hours ago, admin said:

Disconnecting and reconnecting is inconsequential, it can't be related as all camera sessions are insular from one another.

The only advice I can recommend is to go to advance settings and enable processor affinity and see it occurs again.

Thanks. If it happens again, I will try that as my last resort. I want to see if the other changes I made (unchecking the 'allow the USBs to go to sleep') will take care of it. Selective suspend was already disabled.

The USB ports are mapped as D0 for the S0 thread, D3 for S1, 2 and 5; and D2 for S3, 4. 

I'm not sure how processor affinity and USB mapping interact, but as I said, I'll give it a try as a last resort.

Out of curiosity, the Processor Affinity option in BYE must have been put there in anticipation of something. When is it usually needed?

usb and processor affinity are not related.

Processor affinity is a stability setting, it ensures all BYE processing is done against the same internal cpu; so that the process or thread will execute only on the designated CPU or CPUs rather than any CPU. It takes advantage of the fact that remnants of a process that was run on a given processor may remain in that processor's state. If the hang is caused by a multi-threading synchronization issue, this may very well solve it at once.

13 minutes ago, admin said:

usb and processor affinity are not related.

Processor affinity is a stability setting, it ensures all BYE processing is done against the same internal cpu; so that the process or thread will execute only on the designated CPU or CPUs rather than any CPU. It takes advantage of the fact that remnants of a process that was run on a given processor may remain in that processor's state. If the hang is caused by a multi-threading synchronization issue, this may very well solve it at once.

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it.

Just a quick update for those following this thread. 

Was able to take 85 90sec exposures tonight ( until the clouds rolled in ) without any issues. I know in theory it shouldn’t make any difference, but Just to eliminate variables, I used only BYE tonight and didn’t disconnect and reconnect it back and forth with NINA.  The only change I made as mentioned earlier was to uncheck the ‘ allow USB ports to go to sleep ‘ option. 

Another quick update albeit not a favorable one.

Last night after about 7 pictures the system hung. I'm not blaming BYE for this; I just don't know what is causing it. I rebooted BYE, power cycled the camera and just for the heck of it switched it to my powered hub i instead of plugging it directly into the computer. Finished the night with 110 consecutive 90s exposures without a problem. Go figure.

As before, I just used BYE exclusively and didn't switch back and forth to NINA or any other program using the camera.

I emailed the log to the administrator in case there was any clue in it what might be happening.

Tbear

9 hours ago, Tbear said:

Admin - Did you ever get the log I emailed to you per your previous instructions? Curious if there was anything different in it that might help me with my issue.

Thanks

Tbear

I did not.

this said, did you set processor affinity?

On 1/27/2022 at 11:35 AM, admin said:

Hi Ted,

I got the log file.  Please enable processor affinity, the log file indicates this is not set. I need to know if this resolves the issue before anything else.

Regards,

I was able to take images tonight. I attached the camera directly to the usb port of the computer as I usually do. The affinity box was checked. The system hung  'busy' on about the 100th exposure taken 90 second subs at ISO 1250. I will send you the log vis email after I post this. Tomorrow night is also supposed to be clear so if you have any further suggestions they would be appreciated.

Tbear

I'm not seeing anything in the log file.  The only other suggestion is to disable EXIF read and enable the background worker.

Exif read has been a problem on some specific configuration in the past, albeit rare, and disabling might help.

With processor affinity enabled, the background worker will push all post image download process on a separate CPU from the one the main application uses.

Aside from that, I'm running out of ideas.

29 minutes ago, admin said:

I'm not seeing anything in the long file.  The only other suggestion is to disable EXIF read and enable the background worker.

Exif read has been a problem on some specific configuration in the past, albeit rare, and disabling might help.

With processor affinity enabled, the background worker will push all post image download process on a separate CPU from the one the main application uses.

Aside from that, I'm running out of ideas.

Ok, thanks. It is quite puzzling because there is no identifiable pattern. One night it hangs after 7 pictures: another night after 100 pictures. And everything has been fine for a year!

I'll try what you suggested. Also, the other night I put it on a powered hub after it hung, and it was fine the rest of the night. Perhaps coincidence?

Another thing I can do, which I should have done last night, is to check the device manager while the system is hung to see if the USB port still sees the camera. To reset, I've always closed BYE and power cycled the camera. Next time, I'll check and see if for some reason the camera isn't even seen any more on the USB port.

Another option is to use NINA for a few sessions and see if it occurs. If so, then it certainly eliminates BYE from the equation. I've got one more clear night tonight before a week of clouds so perhaps I'll give NINA a try.  The problem seems to occur sooner or later in almost every session lately, so I'll be curious to see what happens tonight. Obviously, it will take several sessions to come to any conclusion.

If I have time today, I might even run some indoor tests.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I doubt that BYE is the issue if I'm the only one that seems to have the problem.

I'll keep you posted with any new information.

Tbear

It is very odd to me that BYE can take 99 images but yet hang on the 100th image.  Software is usually very good about doing the same thing over and over.

How many images were you set to capture in the run?

Where were you saving the images to? PC? Camera? Both?

Saving RAW or JPG or Both?

How much RAM in the PC?