Jump to content

Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!
  • 0

Unable to connect EOS M50 Mark II


denis.dunderdale@gmail.com
 Share

Question

Hello Guylain,

Firstly, thank you for all of your great work in developing this fantastic software.  I'm just getting into astrophotography and cant wait to try night sky imaging.  Your program seems to be just what I need to simplify the process.

However, After a successful installation of BYE v. 3.2.1 yesterday, I cannot get my EOS M50 Mark II to connect to the application.  I can get the camera to function remotely, using the EOS Utility, so I know that I have the correct drivers on my laptop.  I also have a computer that meets the software system requirements. 

I see that EOS M50 is listed as a compatible camera in your "Camera Grid", but I don't see the Mark II edition.

Can you help?

Many thanks in advance

Denis Dunderdale,

Cotter, AR, USA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, denis.dunderdale@gmail.com said:

Thanks for the quick reply. Pardon my ignorance, but what is SDK? I’m

Software Development Kit.  It what Canon givers us developers to allow us to communicate with the camera via software.  Canon sometimes takes months to release the SDK and until they do I cannot establish a connection to the camera.  It's nothing for you to worry about... it's my way of saying that I'm dependent on Canon release it before I can even attempt to support new cameras.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Again, this information is NOT for you, it's for me.  You'll never know if the SDK is released, and it is irrelevant to you.  What is relevant to you is when I say the camera is supported.  And I can only claim it is when Canon releases the SDK and I compile a new BYE version with that new SDK. 

I watch for the SDK release, you watch for a new BYE version to be release :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

You cannot get your current BYE to work by dropping in a newly released version of the SDK. First, the SDK is only available to registered developers so you could not grab the SDK and just drop it into your existing BYE installation. You can only use the new SDK with a new version of BYE that is designed to work with it. This is also because there is a bit of custom code in BYE for every camera model. I know this not only because I am a long time user/supporter of BYE, but also I am a registered developer with Canon for the EOS SDK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, pdventer said:

Hello just upgraded my software and can report that my M50 works perfectly - Regards Dawie Venter

I just noticed that your reply is not from Guylain. Sorry, I thought it was and got all excited. 

I still can't connect.  You say you can connect your M50.  That camera is listed as being supported on v. 3.2.1, which is the version that I have. The issue that I'm having is with the M50 Mark II.  If yours is the Mark II please let me know and I'll try to find the updated version. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 1/18/2021 at 5:48 PM, astroman133 said:

You cannot get your current BYE to work by dropping in a newly released version of the SDK. First, the SDK is only available to registered developers so you could not grab the SDK and just drop it into your existing BYE installation.

Thanks for replying @astroman133,

I realize that I have nothing to do with the SDK and that it requires ADMIN to update software.  I should have been clearer in asking how I will know when that's. been done.  I should have asked if Guylain will get back to me when my camera is supported, or, if there well be a "Forum" post, or if I have to just keep trying to connect my camera, by trial and error.

With the latter process, I imagine that I'll have to redownload BYE to get the latest update on my laptop.  I'm happy to do whatever it takes, but just need to know the process.  As you can tell, I really new at all of this.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I believe that there is a way to set up your profile so that you are notified when a new version of BYE is released, but I have never done that. Also, if you set up to follow posts to this thread, Guylain usually updates all threads that are impacted (with support for new cameras or software fixes) when a new version is released.

And yes, when a new version is released you will need to download and install it on your laptop to take advantage of whatever changes (M50 Mk II support) have been made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

 

 

Try this new pre-release, it will not connect, but you should be getting something like this displayed in the message center, send me those numbers; they will tell me your model is supported by the current SDK, and we'll take from there.

14:26:58  DEVICEINFO DESCRIPTION IS MTP USB Device
14:26:58  DEVICEINFO NUMBER IS 2971957769.
14:26:58  YOUR *REAL* MODEL NUMBER IS 2147484722(80000432)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, admin said:

 

 

Try this new pre-release, it will not connect, but you should be getting something like this displayed in the message center, send me those numbers; they will tell me your model is supported by the current SDK, and we'll take from there.

14:26:58  DEVICEINFO DESCRIPTION IS MTP USB Device
14:26:58  DEVICEINFO NUMBER IS 2971957769.
14:26:58  YOUR *REAL* MODEL NUMBER IS 2147484722(80000432)

 

Hopefully, you mean these numbers.

Thanks

 

17:37:00  Licensed to denis.dunderdale@gmail.com
17:37:00  BackyardEOS 3.2.2 RC2
17:37:36  Attempting to connect camera...
17:37:36  Canon drivers 'Canon\' initialized.
17:37:36  DEVICEINFO DESCRIPTION IS Canon EOS M50m2
17:37:36  DEVICEINFO NUMBER IS 2971957843.
17:37:36  YOUR *REAL* MODEL NUMBER IS 2147484776(80000468)
17:37:36  YOUR camera is not currently supported by the Canon SDK available at the time of this software release.
17:37:36  Camera Not Found!  Make sure it's connected to the PC and turned ON :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hi Denis my M50 is the standard model year 2020 so I am not sure what the deference with the Mark 2 is between the two models. Last night I tried it out for the first time. All image functions worked very well and I was impressed by the battery life at the end of the night. One problem that I did pick up was their is a problem with the video function. It runs for 3 seconds and then the video stop. I tried all sorts of settings and it always stops live video at 3 seconds. So their is still work to be done. My work around was to loop images so that I could get my images in the center of the capture frame were I normally use live video to align my guider scope and main camera.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 1/22/2021 at 7:08 AM, pdventer said:

Hi Denis my M50 is the standard model year 2020 so I am not sure what the deference with the Mark 2 is between the two models. Last night I tried it out for the first time. All image functions worked very well and I was impressed by the battery life at the end of the night. One problem that I did pick up was their is a problem with the video function. It runs for 3 seconds and then the video stop. I tried all sorts of settings and it always stops live video at 3 seconds. So their is still work to be done. My work around was to loop images so that I could get my images in the center of the capture frame were I normally use live video to align my guider scope and main camera.

By video not working, do you mean the liveview?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

When you say LiveView "runs for 3 seconds and then the video stop", what is your indication that the Video has "Stopped"?? 

Are you seeing an indication within the BYE App??  What indication??  (If so, send Admin a Log File - Instructions here: 

Or are you seeing something on the Camera itself??  Is the Back Screen turning Dark??  (If so, this is likely a Setting in the In-Camera Menu.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I solved the Live view problem by upgrading my M50 firmware to ver CCF19110. Frame & Focus run with no time limitation. The Planetary live video also works as expected. Did test it with latest BYE this morning and reported video problems was still their. The Firmware upgrade seem to have fixed things for me.

Firmware can be found here follow instructions on the PDF support file by Canon.

EOS M50 - Support - Download drivers, software and manuals - Canon Central and North Africa (canon-cna.com)

Hope this feedback helps M50 users.

Regards Dawie  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
14 hours ago, pdventer said:

I solved the Live view problem by upgrading my M50 firmware to ver CCF19110. Frame & Focus run with no time limitation. The Planetary live video also works as expected. Did test it with latest BYE this morning and reported video problems was still their. The Firmware upgrade seem to have fixed things for me.

Firmware can be found here follow instructions on the PDF support file by Canon.

EOS M50 - Support - Download drivers, software and manuals - Canon Central and North Africa (canon-cna.com)

Hope this feedback helps M50 users.

Regards Dawie  

That is awesome, thank you for reporting back your findings.  Really appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies to offer your a better browsing experience. You can adjust your cookie settings. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies, our Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use