Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Is it possible to load a plan and disconnect the computer?

hdoraisamy

Question

Hi

My trial version is about to expire and I would like to decide between the Classic and Premium version for EOS. Is it possible to load a plan and disconnect the computer from the camera so the camera knows the sequence and settings and takes over? The reason I ask is because I'd prefer to bring my laptop indoors during the colder weather when I am trying to image for an extended period of time.

If so, will the Classic version meet this requirement?

Thanks!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

The short answer is No.

Cameras do not support the ability to download a capture sequence from a PC and then operate autonomously. BYE is designed to control the camera exposure by exposure. There is tremendous advantage to being able see the captured images and to have the the program available to re-focus as necessary.

To see the differences between the Premium and Classic versions, click on the Compare Editions link in the page footer.

With the premium edition you can save and load plans.  You can not with the Classic edition.

With the premium, if you save a plan while the camera is connected, you can reload that plan with the camera disconnected and the saved plan will retain some of the camera values (like ISO) embedded in the plan so this will give you the option to edit that plan with some camera specific values.

Many of us do AP Imaging in Very Exposed / Cold Winter Environments - I've often Imaged from the 8100ft hillside elevation of my place in the mountains of Colorado - well below Zero...  And on special occasions, I venture to one of the High Mtn Pass parking lots in the middle of the San Juan Mtns to get as Dark and Clear (and COLD) Skies as possible...

I find that I need to run Dew Heaters on the Scope and the Mount's Hand Controller.  But the Laptop is just fine inside it's tipped-over Rubbermaid Storage Tub.  When I'm off to my Truck for a little Heater-Action, I put the Lid on the Tub and the Laptop provides its own heat.

Of course, your other option is to get an "Active USB Extension Cable" and a Powered Hub - these are made in 20-50ft lengths.  (Don't cheap-out on these, as they are otherwise a frustrating waste of money...)