Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

3.2.1 RC2 not saving settings

Go to solution Solved by admin,

Question

I am setting up a new machine, and my installation of 3.2.1 RC2 works fine, and the settings work, but they're not being saved. So the next time I restart, everything is back to default settings.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it with a reboot between, but it's still not saving settings.

Any ideas?

• Answers 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I understand about classic Windows privileges, but this is the first time since I started using BYE that I have had a settings issue. Also, I have Full Control of the settings subfolder, just as I hav

Right click on the application icon and switch to the security/permissions tab. Assign the account you are logged in all the write/read permissions. This should solve the problem, although it should n

Thank you for sharing this.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, astroman133 said:

I am in the Administrators group which has Full Control over the folder where BYE is installed.

In addition, the settings are saved with BYE 3.2.0, but not with 3.2.1 RC3 which is installed in a different folder.

I'm also an administrator on my PC and I had to change the permission and give write access to "users".  This is by no means a permanent solution, but a workaround.  I'd be interested to see if it works with write access granted to "users".

4 minutes ago, astroman133 said:

However,  for BYE 3.2.0, Users does not have Modify permission on its installation folder, but it works anyway.

Agreed, it's a hit-and-miss... one of these days I'll just have to bite the bullet and change the entire settings sub-system.  In the meantime this is a good workaround.

On 11/29/2020 at 3:43 PM, admin said:

I'm also an administrator on my PC and I had to change the permission and give write access to "users".  This is by no means a permanent solution, but a workaround.  I'd be interested to see if it works with write access granted to "users".

It does work! The one I had tried earlier was giving full control to the icon, which didn't help. Changing the permissions on the install directory as listed above did the trick!

Guylain,

I also noticed this not saving issue in BYE.  Hadn't worried about it as I only have a few settings different from the defaults, but it was mildly annoying.  I was also tweaking other things with my rig and the weather has been awful.  Unfortunately, it looks like it is time to update the settings sub-system.   The workaround does work.

You can blame my old college roommate who works at MS.  He must have found out I use BYE and is just messing with me.  Sorry, my friend.

BTW, I realized I'd been using your software for 10 years now.  Where did the time go?

Astroman133 et al: In reading through the entire thread, it is not clear what the "actually works" solution is.  Some work, some don't.  Can someone please list the steps (with illustrations, if possible) that are known to reliably and consistently SAVE Setting updates until the user/owner wants them changed again?  IMHO, without this, the value of BY EOS is diminished.  Better yet would be a YouTube video.  Also, the problem I have with Settings is for BY EOS 3.1 Premium.  The DSLR is a Canon T3i.

Edited by nahrstedt
Defines equipment and S/W version