Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Settings revert everytime you open BYEOS

lrhodes@huonit.com.au

Question

Hi, have seen this raised many times, but first time for me. Everytime you close and open, all settings revert to default. Have reinstalled app in a different directory as I had read in forums, but still fails everytime unless you right click and run as admin. Is there any pending fix to this as of all apps, the windows update seems to have only affected BYEOS? Can it be added somehow to a safe list for apps or any other approaches welcome?

Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 answers to this question

This has been discussed several times already here on the forum.

This is caused by a Windows update messing up with folder security profiles.

The easiest way to fix this is to install BYE in a new folder and you should be fine.

Regards,

Oh, shoot...

It seems that you too have been caught up in a Windows 10 Directory Permissions Issue.

You don't end up with the correct Permissions to write the Settings to File (even though BYE doesn't know that the attempt failed).  Thus those Settings are LOST when you Close BYE, and you revert to the Defaults when you next restart BYE.

The only solution (unless you are proficient at correcting Windows Permissions) is to Uninstall BYE, and then do a fresh Install to a different Directory.

Let us know how this comes out for you...

1 hour ago, astroman133 said:

Guylain,

The OP said that he did try installing BYE to a different folder, but had the same issue.

I still think this is the issue... I suspect maybe the old icons are still on the desktop and these are pointing to the old installation and there he may me running the old install still.

To the OP.  Please delete all icons on the desktop and run the application from clicking on the actual application .exe from the install folder.  If this works create new desktop shortcut icon from there and that should work.

Keep us posted.

It is so frustrating to have to change all the default settings every time you run BYE. I have deleted and reinstalled the program,  checked run as admin under advanced properties, and changed all permissions to full control.  Previous versions of BYE allowed you to  change and save default settings. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

Joe

17 minutes ago, jrb258 said:

It is so frustrating to have to change all the default settings every time you run BYE. I have deleted and reinstalled the program,  checked run as admin under advanced properties, and changed all permissions to full control.  Previous versions of BYE allowed you to  change and save default settings. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,

Joe

This has been asked and answered a dozen times here already.

THIS IS CAUSED BY A WINDOWS UPDATE!

Please re-install in a separate folder and you will be fine.

Regards,

Archived