Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
markminor11

Backyard Nikon using VMware fusion on MAC

Question

Is anyone using VMware fusion to run Backyard NIkon on a MAC?  My issue is connecting the camera.

I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro running the latest OSX.  I'm running VMWare fusion version 8 and I just installed Windows 10 from the Microsoft website.  Everything runs beautifully.  The theory on a VMware machine is that everything is wrapped in Windows such that an application can't tell the difference.  However,  Backyard will not connect with my Nikon D5500.  Windows itself recognizes it and I can look at pictures on the camera using the included Nikon USB cable but Backyard will not connect.

I did install backyard Nikon on my old Gateway desktop running the same version of Windows 10 and it does work so I know my cable and camera are good.  I believe as long as the SDK is using all Windows components it should be transparent.   I know a lot of people would love to run this on a MAC and this would be an easy way to allow that.  Guy wouldn't have to lift a finger and it would open this up to a lot of folks.  I've seen the results of this software from a buddy and it's amazing. 

My question is if anyone else has successfully done this?  My second thought is that I have read many of these threads and I see that people have been able to run this on one windows machine but for some reason a problem on different machine.  So my issue may have nothing to do with VMware on a mac so if anyone has any tips to try, please let me know.

My system:

MacBook PRO 8,1  late 2011 model  Intel i5 processor  16GB memory

OSX El Capitan version 10.11.5

VMware Fusion 8.1.1

Windows 10 Home 64bit

version 1511  Build 10586.494

NIKON D5500

Backyard NIKON 1.5  ( I tried 1.4 as well)

Thanks, Mark

6 answers to this question

Hi Stellar, Today i just download the trial version and i'm wondering the same question as you, because i'm in the same situation. I'll try today and i'll let you know if i find a solution.

Did you try with the 2.0.1 version?? Just let me know if u solved the problem.

Regards.

There are several Mac users who run BYE or BYN in their Mac, but not as a native Mac application. It must be run inside a Windows VM (or wrapper). I am not a Mac user, but apparently it is not straightforward how to configure the wrapper to correctly expose USB ports to applications running inside the wrapper. However, it is possible because several people are using BYE and BYN that way.