Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Backyard Nikon using VMware fusion on MAC

markminor11

Question

Is anyone using VMware fusion to run Backyard NIkon on a MAC?  My issue is connecting the camera.

I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro running the latest OSX.  I'm running VMWare fusion version 8 and I just installed Windows 10 from the Microsoft website.  Everything runs beautifully.  The theory on a VMware machine is that everything is wrapped in Windows such that an application can't tell the difference.  However,  Backyard will not connect with my Nikon D5500.  Windows itself recognizes it and I can look at pictures on the camera using the included Nikon USB cable but Backyard will not connect.

I did install backyard Nikon on my old Gateway desktop running the same version of Windows 10 and it does work so I know my cable and camera are good.  I believe as long as the SDK is using all Windows components it should be transparent.   I know a lot of people would love to run this on a MAC and this would be an easy way to allow that.  Guy wouldn't have to lift a finger and it would open this up to a lot of folks.  I've seen the results of this software from a buddy and it's amazing. 

My question is if anyone else has successfully done this?  My second thought is that I have read many of these threads and I see that people have been able to run this on one windows machine but for some reason a problem on different machine.  So my issue may have nothing to do with VMware on a mac so if anyone has any tips to try, please let me know.

My system:

MacBook PRO 8,1  late 2011 model  Intel i5 processor  16GB memory

OSX El Capitan version 10.11.5

VMware Fusion 8.1.1

Windows 10 Home 64bit

version 1511  Build 10586.494

NIKON D5500

Backyard NIKON 1.5  ( I tried 1.4 as well)

Thanks, Mark

13 answers to this question

Hi Stellar, Today i just download the trial version and i'm wondering the same question as you, because i'm in the same situation. I'll try today and i'll let you know if i find a solution.

Did you try with the 2.0.1 version?? Just let me know if u solved the problem.

Regards.

There are several Mac users who run BYE or BYN in their Mac, but not as a native Mac application. It must be run inside a Windows VM (or wrapper). I am not a Mac user, but apparently it is not straightforward how to configure the wrapper to correctly expose USB ports to applications running inside the wrapper. However, it is possible because several people are using BYE and BYN that way.

1 minute ago, robbie00 said:

Please make plans to support native MacOS. And maybe even an IOS version for iPhones.

This is ridiculous that there is only a Windows version. Many people do not use Windows and love the MacOS.

Thank you.

Robbie

There are no plans. Anything but Windows would require a complete 100% rewrite. Sad but true.

The bottom line is that there are nearly 10 times as many Windows systems as there are macOS systems and if anyone is going to commit to an effort of several thousand hours to develop an essentially new application for macOS, there has to be some realistic expectation of reward for the effort. Making the time to do this has also got to be behind any day job and family commitments. I understand why the authors have decided to let someone else write a DSLR camera capture app for macOS.

17 hours ago, robbie00 said:

Please make plans to support native MacOS. And maybe even an IOS version for iPhones.

This is ridiculous that there is only a Windows version. Many people do not use Windows and love the MacOS.

Before you tear into a Provider of Software for the Hobby you are looking to get into, do some research:

• Just how many AP Imaging Softwares are there currently for MacOS??  And how many are Low-Cost??
  • What is the realistic distribution between Windows and MacOS and Linux amongst Amateur AP Imaging Hobbyists??  (probably 85/5/10 respectively)
  • What is the Cost of all the Required AP Imaging Equipment??  (Scope, Mount, Imaging Camera, AutoGuiding Rig, Software, Accessories)  Factoring the purchase of a $300-500 Windows Laptop into the mix is only going to add 15-20%.

I am going to presume that the individuals who replied are not software developers, other than maybe the Admin here. First, if the software were written in a common development language, it could be ported over. Second, Its not just MacOS. If they write it for MacOS, Linux OS would add to the mix....And I promise you, just about every development platform runs Linux. Its pretty naive to say 10x more Windows. MacOS is (and Linux) very developer friendly...unlike Windows. Would it take work? Yes. Can it be done? Absolutely. Is there a reward? Totally....Look on the App stores for IOS and MacOS ....and even Android phones too....You have many more people using "Linux" than Windows now.....so that blows that theory out of the water.....everybody has a phone....and those phones both run Linux or Unix of some sort. BackyardEOS would be great on all of those platforms...even Ipad...imagine having just an iPad out there instead of hauling a laptop.

Check Sky Safari for their various device support.

Anyway, I like BackyardEOS actually. I just wish the backward Windows only thinking would go away.

Hi robie00,

Thanks for your opinions.  However, there are many reasons why various Programs, including BYE/BYN are only available on a certain OS/ Platform - of which Windows has an 88% market share (Mac OS 9.4% / Linux 1.5%).  In the case of BYE/BYN, it is initially because BOTH Canon and Nikon have chosen to ONLY supply their SDK software to the Windows platform.  Given that limitation, the Author (Guylain - aka Admin) decided to develop his Product using Windows .NET (again only available for Windows). pr

It would also surprise you about how Restrictive Apple is regarding Programs offered through their App Stores - belies the "easy on Apple" idea.

How often have you been to a Star Party where there are lots of AP Imagers??  What do you see them all running??  Even though there is no one limiting users to Laptops (Windows Laptops), that will be the prevalent favorite.  The availability of Image Capture and Scope Management and Image Stacking and Post Processing Applications, the longer-lasting Battery Power, the number of USB Ports and larger Storage Drives, and the Larger Screens and Keyboards and Mice/Pads - all reasons why Laptops (Windows Laptops) are favored.

But, you are free to pursue whichever alternative you wish.  With enough Googling, you may find a suite of programs that will run on what you brought.  Or else, you too can step-up and develop something that is as well accepted and productive as BYE/BYN.  When you do, let us know.  We all like to broaden our horizons...

Clear Skies

You made a bad assumption when said that you assumed that those who replied about the effort to make a program with BYE's level of sophistication and features were not software developers. I am a retired software developer with 45 years of experience. I bought my first home computer in 1979. It was an Apple II. and have written in several languages on numerous operating systems over that period of time.

You then said that "if the software were written in a common development language, it could be ported over". It is naïve on your part to assume that a simple language port is all that is necessary. The reality is that the effort is much more involved than that. I believe that the BYE software is written in C# and it relies the .NET Common Language Runtime. This is a language that was invented by Microsoft for development using .NET on Windows. There is a cross-platform environment, called Xamarin Studio, that allows developers to write in C# for IOS. However, porting the code is much more complex than changing and compiling the lines of code. There are external API's like the Canon and Nikon SDK's, like other external code such as DCRAW, connections with PHD2 and MetaGuide, and ASCOM that would also need to work under IOS. This is code of Windows applications that are external to, and not controlled by O'Telescope. I do not believe that BYE is written to use the Windows Presentation Foundation user interface. This means that it is written to use WINDOWS Forms. Does it use 3rd party custom controls like those from DevExpress? Is it possible to write code in Xamarin Studio in C# that ports all of the external interfaces and libraries from the Windows world? These are the types of questions that would need to be answered before considering making IOS native version of the product, in addition to determining how many Mac users who do astrophotography .would potentially want to purchase their software.

I did not make up the numbers about there being 10 Windows PCs for every Mac. I found multiple sources on the Internet with those numbers. This means that there would be far fewer users of a BYE version that runs natively on IOS. It is ridiculous to assume that the developers of BYE and BYN would embark on making their product available for such a small audience with no significant promise of reward. And all because you love your Mac? Sorry.