Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
admin

BackyardNIKON 1.0.0 Is Now Officially Released.

Question

The title says it all, BackyardNIKON is now released to the wild.

Please refer to it as either BackyardNIKON -or-  BYN when posting images on the web.  Having a consistent naming convention helps building a brand.

Thank you to everyone who participated in getting it there by testing it out for the past 11 months now since the first BETA release last year.

The price schema follows the same as BackyardEOS and it too has a 30-day free trial :)

Thank you

Guylain & Chris.

Congrats, Guylain and Chris!!

And congrats to all the new BYN Licensees!!

We're glad that you are able to join all of us BYE Users in one using one of the Biggest and Best small Apps in all of Astronomy!!

(Now, Guylain, get a good couple nights rest / see the Family a bit...  then let us know what you have planned for v3.2!! ;^) )

The biggest Issue that I've seen posted on various Astronomy Forums relating to Threads announcing BYN (ok, I've posted a couple of them - gotta spread the word):

New Customers cannot find the "Camera Support Grids" easily...  (they are rather buried on the new site)

Also, the "reputed price is $35 but the BYN Store only offers $50 Premuim version"...  The "Featured Products" page fails to mention "Classic"...

I know...  But these are Potential New Customers...

The biggest Issue that I've seen posted on various Astronomy Forums relating to Threads announcing BYN (ok, I've posted a couple of them - gotta spread the word):

New Customers cannot find the "Camera Support Grids" easily...  (they are rather buried on the new site)

Also, the "reputed price is $35 but the BYN Store only offers $50 Premuim version"...  The "Featured Products" page fails to mention "Classic"...

I know...  But these are Potential New Customers...

Good point, I just added both Classic editions as featured products so they all show on the featured page.

The supported camera grid is a bit trickier to address :(

Always said I would buy as soon as it came out to full release and have just gone and bought the premium version.

Have to love the exchange rates as works out as £35.00  An absolute bargain for what work has gone in so far and what is to come.

Thanks very much for working so hard at getting this sorted and released.  Have enjoyed the trials and tribulations of the betas and am looking forward to grabbing some data with this when the skies eventually clear up.

Random question time.....what is the difference between premium and standard versions?

Thanks again

Please do ssomething for the D3200!

I can not... the issue is not me, it is Nikon.

Nikon does no provide a Software Development Kit (SDK) for the D3### models so there is nothing I can do to support these models sadly :(

Regards,

I can not... the issue is not me, it is Nikon.

Nikon does no provide a Software Development Kit (SDK) for the D3### models so there is nothing I can do to support these models sadly :(

Regards,

Is there any chance in the future that it may be offered for the 3200?

Is there any chance in the future that it may be offered for the 3200?

No, as I said in my previous post... Nikon does not have an SDK for this model and they have no plan of creating one.  In fact, the reason why the D3### series is less expensive is because they have less features... and the lack of an SDK is one of those features.  Therefore the D3### series will never be supported in BYN.  Sad but true :(

Regards,

For those that are money tight like me.  I got my D5100 refurbished from Best Buy.  Both Best Buy and Nikon directly sell refurbished cameras.  I've gotten a D5100 and a 55-200 zoom lens refurbished.  Both at significant less cost.  I've gotten refurbished stuff from both Best Buy and Nikon direct.  William

Couple of questions.  I have an older laptop that I use on occasion that runs Vista.

Will BYN work with the older laptop?

Also do I need to purchase another key or use the one I currently have to install BYN?

So far I really like BYN.

William

BYN should work JUST FINE on your Older Laptop.  Vista shouldn't be an issue - either 32-bit or 64-bit - as long as you have working Drivers for your DSLR.

Simply confirm that BYN or the Camera Control App that came with your Nikon can successfully control the Camera - taking note from the BYN Camera Support Grid that you will NEED a Serial Shutter Controller.

BYE/BYN has been confirmed to run on Older Processors - down to old Dual Cores as well as many of the Current Tablet-oriented CPUs.

Couple of questions.  I have an older laptop that I use on occasion that runs Vista.

Will BYN work with the older laptop?

Also do I need to purchase another key or use the one I currently have to install BYN?

So far I really like BYN.

William

It should run just fine on older laptop running vista, or even xp for that matter.

You can use the same activation code on your second laptop provided you only use one laptop at a time, otherwise you need a second license.

Regards,

Thanks.  I only have one Nikon that is controllable by BYN right now.  Even if I get lucky and get another I don't foresee using two BYN computers at the same time.

Basically I want one computer to control the mount and guider while the other the camera.  I prefer it this way.

William

Basically I want one computer to control the mount and guider while the other the camera.  I prefer it this way.

Does that mean that while you mention Guiding, you don't intend to use Dithering ?? (which requires BYE to communicate with PHD)

Or do you intend to build a Network between these two PCs, so that BYE can access the PHD Server Protocol ??

No network.  No dithering.  Complete separate running computers.  In the past I had one computer running a SBIG and one the mount and PHD.  Preferred it that way.  I use PHD2 for the guiding.  I will do the same even though BYN could run the guider.  Problem is that often I got conflicts in the past with Cartes program running the mount.  So I always did things separate.  Then I never had issues.  My new computer could probably handle things ok but will still probably run separate computers.  I have not tested the new Cartes and BYN yet in the field.  We'll see.  I have not had the weather or my health to get my mount out and do any work.  Right now I can't lift more than 10lbs.  A single weight of the Atlas mount is 11lbs. :(  I might try and guide with the BYN but I still need the Cartes program running the mount for asteroids and comets.