Jump to content

Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!
  • 0

Z7 / Z6 Compatability


stevenmorris5
 Share

Question

23 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

BYN uses a software library (SDK) that is provided by Nikon for 3rd party developers to use for remote shooting. If Nikon continues to add support to the SDK for new cameras then it is likely that these cameras will be supported by BYN. However, if you are buying a camera primarily for astrophotography, I would hold off making your purchase until Nikon has released a version of the SDK that supports that model.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I'm really hoping that Nikon does not cripple their mirrorless series camera like Canon did by removing some important functionality.  Canon removed the possibility to do remote shotting via computer in their M series camera and for this reason the Canon M series are not supported.

If Nikon does not cripple their SDK and keeps most functionality intact I and releases the SDK I see no reason that the Z series won't be supported.  However, I will fall short of saying it will be supported until I see evidence that Nikon has released the Z series with the same software functionality as their full body counterpart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I have a download ready for testing.  Please send me an email to support@otelescope.com if you're interested in testing and I'll you a download link.

No promises, these are a bit different than the normal DSLR line up and I don't have a Z6 or Z7 for testing so I'm going at it totally blind :(

Regards,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Okay, looks like I can't make this work blindly without a camera.  I have contacted Nikon and they will try to send me a Z6 and Z7 for testing when they come available from their loaner pool.  This can take anywhere from 2 to 6 months based on past experience. 

More to come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hi, I have a Z7 and while the option shows up in the selection window it doesn't do anything when I click it.  I can click the Z6 button, but of course the camera doesn't connect because it's a z7.  Is this a bug with the button or are you still working on getting the SDK working?  Let me know - I'm happy to test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

It's there because the Nikon SDK supports it but it will not work for now. 

I'm waiting for Nikon to send me both a Z6 & Z7 from their camera loaner pool.  It can take anywhere from 2 to 6 months before they can send me one.  It's a waiting game until then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/3/2019 at 6:50 PM, tedswanson said:

Hi, I have a Z7 and while the option shows up in the selection window it doesn't do anything when I click it.  I can click the Z6 button, but of course the camera doesn't connect because it's a z7.  Is this a bug with the button or are you still working on getting the SDK working?  Let me know - I'm happy to test.

 

On 3/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, admin said:

It's there because the Nikon SDK supports it but it will not work for now. 

I'm waiting for Nikon to send me both a Z6 & Z7 from their camera loaner pool.  It can take anywhere from 2 to 6 months before they can send me one.  It's a waiting game until then.

I have the Z7 and same problem - clicking in the selection menu on Z7 - nothing happens.... any ideas?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, admin said:

You need to download the latest pre-release in the pre-release download section.

I have downloaded RC2::1499 and same as before - nothing happens... any ideas? My Z7 has firmware C2.0 and LF1.0 ( all latest FW), camera body set to M and time to B, AF off, single exposure...same settings as for the D850 (which works very fine)....help! :_)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, gnnyman said:

I have downloaded RC2::1499 and same as before - nothing happens... any ideas? My Z7 has firmware C2.0 and LF1.0 ( all latest FW), camera body set to M and time to B, AF off, single exposure...same settings as for the D850 (which works very fine)....help! :_)

 

Okay, got it.  The Z7 camera selector button is missing the click event so it does nothing.  I just fix it.  It will be in the next pre-release.  I have a few other bugs I need to fix first and then I should be able to upload it... probably by next weekend.

Regards,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
7 minutes ago, admin said:

Okay, got it.  The Z7 camera selector button is missing the click event so it does nothing.  I just fix it.  It will be in the next pre-release.  I have a few other bugs I need to fix first and then I should be able to upload it... probably by next weekend.

Regards,

Thanks, I´ll wait and try it as soon as the SW is released. My English is sometimes a bit strange, because it is not my prime language...sorry for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
40 minutes ago, gnnyman said:

Thanks, I´ll wait and try it as soon as the SW is released. My English is sometimes a bit strange, because it is not my prime language...sorry for it.

Your English is fine... and English is also not my prime language, I'm French Canadian... but we seem to communicate just fine :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
10 hours ago, admin said:

Okay, got it.  The Z7 camera selector button is missing the click event so it does nothing.  I just fix it.  It will be in the next pre-release.  I have a few other bugs I need to fix first and then I should be able to upload it... probably by next weekend.

Regards,

I just fixed that for the Z7.  Please send me an email at support@otelescope.com and I will send you a download link to try.

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 hours ago, admin said:

I just fixed that for the Z7.  Please send me an email at support@otelescope.com and I will send you a download link to try.

Thank you.

Hi again,

I have downloaded the file and installed it - it works very fine. Problem solved, I would suggest! - Thank you for your quick and efficient support

Regards

Georg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
7 minutes ago, gnnyman said:

Hi again,

I have downloaded the file and installed it - it works very fine. Problem solved, I would suggest! - Thank you for your quick and efficient support

Regards

Georg

YaaaaaaaHoooooooo!!!!!

I will try to upload a new version in the pre-release section by the weekend.

Thank you.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies to offer your a better browsing experience. You can adjust your cookie settings. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of cookies, our Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use