Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
PLEASE READ ==> If you get a StructureMap or EdsInitializeSDK() error please RE-INSTALL before posting in the forum <==
angutier

Nikon D500 has 1:1 (100%) pixel mode in Live View?

Question

Hi.  My D500 appears to allow me to achieve "1:1 (100%)" pixel display in Live Mode.  It's the 4th zoom level, or alternatively, the multi-selector button toggles directly to the "1:1 (100%)" zoom mode as defined in the Custom Settings --> Controls --> f2 setting.  Does this mean that I have the same ability to achieve best resolution in Planetary mode as Canons?

My other alternative on the D500  is to record 4K /30fps video (which employs a 1.45x crop) bypassing BYN, though that results on much bigger (but still manageable) video files that I need to convert to .avi before stacking.

I'd love to hear views on which of these methods will give me the best planetary videos for stacking.

Thanks!

Andrew

5 answers to this question

Thanks for the quick response, Rick.  Seems like I only have the 5x option in BYN, which I'll test to see if it's the same magnification as 1:1.  If not, I'm hoping my backup plan for recoding 4K video (which is 1:1) will achieve the same result.

The Nikon SDK allows me to set it to 4 it needs be.  Nikon are a bit more flexible than Canon in that respect.  Let me know if your get the 1:1 with BYN set a 5x.

5x on BYN does indeed seem to be 1:1 on the D500.  Here's what I found out:  On Photo Playback mode, there are 8 levels of magnification, the 6th of which is labelled "1:1 (100%)".  On LV Movie Shooting mode, there are 4 levels of magnification, and the 3rd level renders the same FOV/framing as Playback's "1:1 (100%)".  BYN's 5x mode (for both Frame & Focus and Planetary modes) also renders the same FOV/framing as Playback's "1:1 (100%)".  So based on this, I believe BYN's 5x is indeed 1:1.  That should then allow the D500 to use BYN's Planetary mode at 5x to achieve the best resolution.

Does this reasoning make sense?