Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Nikon D5500 Firmware Update Doesn't connect

Professoran@gmail.co

Question

I was using this and it was connecting but I was having issues.

I updated the firmware to C.V.1.01 and it is no longer connecting. 

Attached are log files.

The computer is Windows 7. I've tried Vista compatibility mode and this doesn't help.

Using a freshly formatted SD card.

logfile-20160126-21h56m18s601-backgroundworker-3432-2016-01-26.txt

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30 answers to this question

Thank you for reporting back.

From the looks of it, it seems like Nikon has resolve quit a few connection issues with this new SDK release.  So far I have had 100% positive result with BYN 1.0.5.

Regards,

Thanks Prof for the update on the D5500 firmware/BYN relationship ;-). I`ll be interested to see if you find any other problems with it . BTW just been on the Nikon website and noticed the firmware 1.01 dated 2016/01/27 can`t see a later one ?.

regards

Steve

Hi,

That is the background worker log file, nothing in there relevant to camera issues.  I need the other log files.

However, connection issue is almost never BYN/software related.  In most cases it is a Windows/Nikon driver issue. 

Does Windows see the camera after the firmware upgrade?

Yes it does. It opens the transfer utility when plugged in. 

See attached photos which show the D5500 plugged in and the BYN error messages.

Which log files would be the most helpful to you?

This firmware causes even Nikon's own Camera Control Pro 2 to need an update to connect.

I wish I had of noticed this before updating the firmware which is just a few days old.

Obviously I am hoping this can be fixed with minimal fuss, but there might be an issue.

From the website:  http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/176.html

• Once this firmware is installed, the Windows edition of Camera Control Pro 2 versions 2.22.0 and earlier will no longer be able to detect the camera. Upgrade to version 2.23.0 or later.

Photos (2).zip

That is the issue then.  Nikon changed something for the new firmware for sure.  

Let me look in the Nikon development center to see if they have updated the SDK for the new firmware.  If they have there is a chance I can do something, if not I won't be able to do anything until they do.  I'm dependent on their SDK to connect and it all depends on what to make available in the SDK.

You should be able to downgrade the firmware though.

Regards,

Still not connecting. Tried reinstalling BYN after coping the files no go.

Would you not want to do those two steps in the reversed order??  If you are Reinstalling BYN, then it would stand that the Installer would Overwrite the "Test Version" of the SDK Files.

Would you not want to do those two steps in the reversed order??  If you are Reinstalling BYN, then it would stand that the Installer would Overwrite the "Test Version" of the SDK Files.

Good catch.  You need to copy the files AFTER, not before a reinstall.

hI!

I join this problem . But with the program DigiCamControl the DSRL works .

DigiCamControl does NOT use the Nikon SDK, it uses PTP protocol.  If there is a menu option on your camera for communication make sure it is not set to PTP.

Regards,

There isn't a Nikon Support site with the Nikon D5500 User Manual??

"No Setting Required" for Apple "Aperture 3" isn't all that "Authoritative" regarding Tethering using the Nikon SDK - especially since the Aperture 3 settings for many of the other Cameras specifically require setting to "PTP mode" which is what we are saying will defeat the Nikon SDK Tethering Connection.

Understood. Glad you guys have a 30 day trial. Please update this thread when it is fixed.

Sure, no problem.  If I get any updated sdk from Nikon I will let you have another 30-day trial for sure for testing.

Thank you

Perhaps not the same problem.  You should start another thread.  This thread is about an after-market firmware upgrade that has apparently caused a camera that was connecting to not connect.

There may be other reasons that your D5500 will not connect like other software that you have installed, or whether your PC was upgraded to Windows 10 that may be causing your issue.

As Rick said you should probably start a new thread.  

You should also tell us what firmware version you have on your D5500.  If you did NOT upgrade firmware then this is NOT the same problem... so a new thread would help to have a conversation aiming at solving your specific issue rather than convoluting this already complex thread.

Thank you 

Archived