Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Reminder to switch from AF to MF

BillM

Question

I would find it very useful if a reminder to switch your lense from AF to MF popped up when you pressed the Start Capture button. I, and I'm sure many others, often make this schoolboy error and then have to go back and redo their focus. For the pros, this could be disabled in Preferences.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 answers to this question

I don't think that this is necessary, at least not for all cameras. 

There is an in-camera Custom Function that can move the AutoFocus control from the shutter button to a different button when in one of the "creative zone" modes, like Manual.  For my T5i the option is  C.FnIV:Operation/Others. The value of 1:AE lock/AF moves the autofocus control to the <*> button when in Manual mode. The button is near the upper right corner of the camera back. It is intended for advanced shooting where focus and exposure might be controlled separately, but it is useful for AP.

I have a 1000D and this workround does seem to work - thanks for that. However, for those that also use their cameras for normal photography (for me at least), the auto focus on the <*> button is not all that intuitive, so you still need to remember to switch the custom function on and off as you switch between normal and astro use. I still think an elegant solution would be for BYE to give a reminder. As I said, for those that don't need it, it could be disabled in Preferences.

Bill

There must be a camera difference between you camera and mine.  Either that or you do more creative terrestrial shooting than I do. 

With my T5i, when the camera is in automatic mode pressing the shutter halfway still activates autofocus.  Only when in Program, Tv, Av, or Manual do I need to press the * button to focus.  Since I rarely use those shooting modes for terrestrial photography, that solution works fine for me.

Still if others see value, and the warning can be disabled, I have no issue with the change.

Only when in Program, Tv, Av, or Manual do I need to press the * button to focus.  Since I rarely use those shooting modes for terrestrial photography, that solution works fine for me.

Of curiosity, which Mode(s) do you find yourself using for your Terrestrial Photography if not Av or Manual??

Archived