Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

D600 connection problems

twentymeters

Question

Greetings,  I'm having trouble getting my D600 to connect to v1.04.  I've looked through the previous posts and tried the basics: empty card, no card, different USB cables, different ports, two different computers with no luck.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks

-Ian

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29 answers to this question

Well, connection issues usually boil down to drivers and cabling. 

According to the D600 manual, you should not connect the camera via a USB hub.

I am not a Nikon owner, but looking in the manual I could not see any communication settings.  The manual however does not talk much about controlling the camera with a PC, they talk about downloading and printing images from the camera.  Are there any communication settings?

Do you know anyone with a different model of Nikon camera that you can try?

Have you tried controlling the camera with some different software...preferrably software that also uses the Nikon SDK.

It may come down to looking at the log files.

I just purchased this D600 so I haven't yet had it work on either computer.  Besides Manual and bulb settings are there any other conditions to check on the camera?

I'm using Windows 7--not sure what you mean by Windows compatibility Vista SP2. 

Right click on the BYN desktop icon and click Properties.  In there look for a "Compatibility" tab set it to Vista SP2.  That is required for some older models... but I doubt the D600 is part of that... but it is worth a try.

Regards,

Thanks for the log files; they show that all Nikon prerequisites are installed.

I've sent you 2 Nikon SDK files for the D600.  Replace the ones in folder C:\Program Files (x86)\BackyardNIKONv1.0\Nikon\Type0008 with the one I sent you.

Let's continue the conversation here on the forum so everyone can see your progress in the hope that it may help someone else in the future.

Regards,

There is no option to enable/disable PTP and the camera has no wifi.  I was hoping someone with a D600 might jump in here since according to the compatibility chart this camera should work.

thanks for your help--this is really frustrating for me since I've used BYEOS with a Canon and absolutely love this app

There is no option to enable/disable PTP and the camera has no wifi.  I was hoping someone with a D600 might jump in here since according to the compatibility chart this camera should work.

thanks for your help--this is really frustrating for me since I've used BYEOS with a Canon and absolutely love this app

I do not own a D600 but if the grid says the D600 is supported it means I have received at least 2 positive results from people who owns D600's.  

I did rent a D610 last year for some tests but that does not mean the D600 and D610 are somewhat equal :(

I don't have a D600 but issues I've had in the past were related a lot to bad USB cables.  Using a hub is not recommended either.  I only use a hub for mouse and connecting to my Atlas mount.  Using a cable that was USB2.0 not 3.0 was an issue.  My system has 3.0.  I've also had bad camera-usb cables.  Now I have a bad jack on my D5100.  I suspect your issue is in the drivers.  Uninstall your camera.  Reboot then reinstall the camera.  Worth a try.

William

I don't have a D600 but issues I've had in the past were related a lot to bad USB cables.  Using a hub is not recommended either.  I only use a hub for mouse and connecting to my Atlas mount.  Using a cable that was USB2.0 not 3.0 was an issue.  My system has 3.0.  I've also had bad camera-usb cables.  Now I have a bad jack on my D5100.  I suspect your issue is in the drivers.  Uninstall your camera.  Reboot then reinstall the camera.  Worth a try.

William

Hi William,

What do you mean by uninstalling the camera then reinstall the camera?

I searched around for another program that would control the D600 to try to rule out physical connection problems and was able to get "digiCamControl" to work perfectly with the camera.  I can capture live images and stills and control all major camera settings with that software.

Not sure what that tells me exactly except that the USB connection seems to work ok.

Interestingly, digiCamControl also has an astronomy function that allows exposures longer than 30 seconds and has an interface for PHD guiding and live view focussing, but it's not nearly as polished as BackyardNIKON

Try the Nikon Wrapper by itself; outside of BYN.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nikoncswrapper/

You will need to copy both nikon file I sent you last week in the folder where you have the Nikon wrapper running from.

If you have difficulties setting it up I can package the wrapper with the correct Nikon files for the D600 and send you a download link.

Regards,

I get your frustration.

Did you re-send your log files to support@otelescope.com?

As Guylain has said no other D600 users have reported this issue.

If you are able to communicate with your camera with digiCamControl (using PTP) then this would seem to confirm that WIA is not the issue.  This would seem to narrow it down to the driver that the SDK is trying to use. Do you have the latest D600 drivers from Nikon?

Because we get posts from people of all different levels of Windows expertise, I try ask detailed questions to make sure that when someone says "I restarted WIA" that they actually followed the correct steps.  I apologize if this seems excessive, but at least we will be in sync going forward.

So you used the Administrative Tools/Services applet from the Control Panel to restart the WIA service.  After you started it, did it stay running? You may need to refresh the applet to update the status.  On my Win 7 machine the WIA service requires 2 other services that must also need to be running.  You can see this from the Dependencies tab of the Services Properties. So if WIA does not run or will not stay running, I would check them.

After connecting your camera to the PC and powering it on, then trying to connect BYN to the camera does the WIA service show that it is still running?

Can you see any errors from the WIA service in the System Event Viewer?

Those are the only other things that I can think of at this time.

I don't know whether it would be useful for someone to remote into your machine to actually see what is going on, but I know that Guylain has offered to do that in the past.

This is a little embarrassing,  but inexplicably the camera and BYN started working fine!  The last thing I was doing was checking all the services and logs which were all working as far as I can tell.  Before digging into the Nikon Wrapper files I decided to check the connection and voila!  

Although I tried to follow best troubleshooting practices I must've missed something and unfortunately I can't report back what that thing was.  My best guess is that it had something to do with the services, but I suppose it might be related the camera.  I'm only working now on the laptop so I'm going to switch over to my desktop today and see if I can get that to work. 

Thank you for all the help and if I discover anything more definitive I will report back

Archived