Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

CR2 images will not load in Astrometrica

mmiller1951

Question

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17 answers to this question

I too would like to see CR2 saved as FITS file.  The DSLR has gone past being used just for pretty pictures. You may want to check out the AAVSO DSLR Observing Manual and articles in the Journal of Double Star Observations that use DSLR cameras. 

You will need to explore several of the available RAW-to-FITS Converters, because FITS is a "loosely defined general format" that allows for countless variations and not all Converters will structure the resulting File such as various Apps might wish.

FITS is used in a large portion of the Scientific Community specifically because it is so "extendable" that they can stuff all sorts of non-Image data into the same File.

When you find a Converter that works well for you and your Astrometrica usage, please be sure to post the results to this Thread so that others can benefit from your search efforts.

I use MaximDL for my deep sky imaging using a OSC ccd camera, where Maxim saves the RAW file in Fits format. I use BYE for dslr wide-field imaging and I for one would like to see BYE save in Fits format too as it would make all subsequent processing more compatible. The Fits format can still keep the image as a RAW, un-debayered image. That would be fine as my processing software (PixInsight) can do the debayering as part of its batch processing routine. Is this not something that can be incorporated into BYE without much fuss?

Can't PixInsight also convert the CR2 files to FITS along with debayering and calibration?  What is the advantage of having BYE do this?

I don't think that the issue is that BYE couldn't do it, it is that, for most users, this functionality is duplicated by other processing software that the user already has.

I think we might be talking at cross-purposes! PixInsight and Maxim can handle cr2 files but they work better if the files are in Fits format as a completely RAW file (ie not debayered). In particular, PixInsight's Drizzle Integration tool works better. All I'm asking is that BYE save in Fits format, with no calibration, debayering or any processing whatsoever. To my non-programmer mind, that sounds as it would be simple to do and a benefit to me, and hopefully others.

The CR2 image taken with BYE is as-is from the camera, no alterations are made to the image whatsoever.

BYE may add some EXIF meta data; see Settings -> Advance settings and check the  " Skip EXIF write " option.  I believe the default is skip.

If you take a CR2 right off the camera does it work?

I am sorry but this question makes no sense.....the images are stored in computer in the Backyard EOS folder??

they are not in the camera...

I have used other software and not had a problem...a CR2 image should be the same no matter what software was used..

I am sorry but this question makes no sense.....the images are stored in computer in the Backyard EOS folder??

they are not in the camera...

I have used other software and not had a problem...a CR2 image should be the same no matter what software was used..

Mike, my friend,

BYE does no alter image data in the CR2 file, it never did and never will.  Period.

However, BYE does add EXIF data (FITS header equivalent) if and only if the " SKIP Exif Write " is uncheck, which is the default.  So unless you have changed this value in the advance settings I can guarantee you that the .CR2 are as-is, unaltered by BYE, coming out of the camera.

There is already a posted enhancement suggestion for BYE/BYN to save files in FITS format.  It was originally posted in March 2015.  It was not a complaint, as your post is, but a suggestion for improvement.  However, the OP did not respond to a request for more information about his need. Until now no other users have seen lack of FITS support in BYE as a drawback.

That said, it is "on the list" and Guylain has not said that it will not be done, so perhaps for the future.  I use ImagesPlus and CCDStack 2.  Both processing programs convert DSLR RAW files to FITS.  Personally, I would rather see Guylain add functionality that will more directly improve my image capture experience and the quality of my captured images, than to add more output file types.

I would also add that conversion of CR2 to FITS is not a trivial effort.  Some of the concerns are debayering the raw data, whether or not to apply the bad pixel map, and whether or not to apply the in-camera white balance setting.  These are just off the top of my head and I have probably missed some big issues.

I currently use AIP4Win to convert CR2 to fits...would be nice to have it capture that way and save a step, however

I also thought that I could "blink" images in BYEOS but am having problem getting that to work..

will just continue to use Astrometrica .

This software is geared toward the "pretty picture" group and i do "science"/ Photometry and Astrometry

I took my first "pretty picture" with it of M42 and was quite impressed..

Every App that produces a Display Image from a CR2 File has to apply both Interpretation and Processing in order to take the "RAW" Sensor Data and make a "Presentable" Image.

This is made more difficult, because while the File Extension remains "CR2", the Contents are changes/augmented with every New Model of DSLR (same for Nikon NEFs and Sony ARWs).

It is also a factor in FITS file Interpretation - only FITS Standards expect the "clues" to interpreting FITS Files to be embedded (something that the Makers of Proprietary RAW File Formats don't see as "Essential").

In fact, ALL Image Processing Apps which support ANY of the various DSLR's RAW Formats need to be Regularly Updated to accommodate the Newest Models.  Adobe does it with ACR Updates.  Others do it with Updated DCRAW Libraries.

Astrometrica doesn't indicate that it has ANY ability to Read from ANY DSLR's RAW Files - the Changelog mentions no such Updates (nor any mention of other Color Image functions such as Debayering or White Balancing or...)

(Which Model of Canon DSLR are you using, btw?)

I currently use AIP4Win to convert CR2 to fits...would be nice to have it capture that way and save a step, however

DSLR's do not Capture to FITS - none of the Manufacturers see Any Need for such a Feature, given that their Primary Market is for Daytime Photography.  There are, however, several Apps which can convert RAW to FITS (but most of them do so as a byproduct of Image Calibration and/or Stacking - something that you likely want to Avoid.  Take a look at ImageMagick and it's Convert function.

I also thought that I could "blink" images in BYEOS but am having problem getting that to work...

BYE doesn't have a Blink Function.

This software is geared toward the "pretty picture" group and i do "science"/ Photometry and Astrometry

Careful about dissing "Pretty Picture AstroPhotography" - without it you'd have None of the Consumer-Priced Hardware that you are using.  

In fact, NASA has learned rather well that even THEY need to Produce and Publish "Pretty Pictures" - and the ability to do so from Hubble Data has probably been one of the Prime Factors that have kept the Public from allowing Congress to Defund NASA.

Since Astrometrica is an App which isn't normally considered by DSLR AP Imagers, but might be of Interest if more knew about it...

Please post a quick description of the Steps necessary to Load a CR2 File into Astrometrica (is the CR2-to-FITS conversion being done in a 3rd App - AIP4Win?), and perhaps the main Image Capture considerations you have to keep in mind in order to make DSLR Images suitable for usage in Astrometrica.

It might be interesting to know what "Scientific Measurements/Investigation" you are able to pursue with a Canon DSLR and Astrometrica...

(You've got me curious, now...)

Archived