Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Nikon D90 not connecting to BYN 1.0.3.22807;Windows 10

Kmmathews

Question

I just upgraded from the trial edition of BYN and can not connect to my Nikon D90. I was able to connect with the trial edition but a couple of times I received a cannot find camera but, trying again usually achieved success. This isn't the case with the upgrade. I have purchased the Shoestring Astronomy DSUB for controlling the shutter for Bulb and have tried with this disconnected because I didn't have this on the trial version but it did not make any difference. Windows 10 recognizes the connection of the Nikon D90 and prompts for what action to take. I also have DigiCamControl software which recognizes and controls the Nikon through the USB cable, so the connections is satisfactory. I have attached the two log files from the last attempt to provided debug info. Please let me know if you need anything else.

I have attached an additional two files when the program connected to the Nikon camera, if it will be any help

logfile-20151226-14h47m48s607-3992-2015-12-26.txt

logfile-20151226-14h47m52s470-backgroundworker-10904-2015-12-26.txt

logfile-20151103-20h00m15s622-102184-2015-11-03.txt

logfile-20151103-20h00m30s864-backgroundworker-100380-2015-11-03.txt

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30 answers to this question

That is a known behavior.  The Nikon SDK builds an index off all images on the SD card before allowing it to connect.  If you have several images it can take a few minutes.  For Nikons always start with a clean SD card (or very few images) each time.  For Canons this is a non issue.

All in all I think you had 2 issues which made it hard to trouble shoot.  The images on the SD card (when one was present) and the SDK going in a weird state requiring a reboot to have it reset.

Regards,

There is no difference in the trial and the purchase edition, it is the same download and the same app.  Therefore the issue has to be related to usb/crivers/sd card.

DigiCamControl does NOT use the Nikon SDK, BYN does.

Try without an SD card.

Keep us posted.

I tried the camera without the SD card; did not work (performed before the post).

I had both USB cable connected; one to the camera mini USB port, one, from the DSUB box to USB and DSUB cable to the GPS connector on the camera (performed before the post). Did not work

Tried another USB cable to the camera

The OS is Windows Home 10 Edition upgrade to version 1511 OS build 10586.36

The physical hardware of your computer is irrelevant.

The fact that W10 sees the camera as a storage device is also irrelevant.

I have seen several users with connection issues after a w10 upgrade.  Probably due to some drivers not being ported during the upgrade.

Did you try to re-install BYN after your w10 upgrade.  This would ensure all prerequisites are reinstalled on w10.  Try that.  Keep us posted.

If you read my post carefully, I purchase your software program TODAY!!!! When it didn't work after installation I uninstalled it and re-installed it. Also, rebooted my machine.

Being an engineering I was trying to give you as much information as possible to trouble shoot the issue. I even provided you a before and after logs of your software if it would help.  Also if you read my post it identified it as a Nikon D90 camera not a storage device! You let me know what you need to figure out what this problem is and I will stop guessing.

If you were really paying attention I purchase your software program TODAY!!!! Uninstalled it and re-installed it. Being an engineering I was trying to give you as much information as possible to trouble shoot the issue. I even provided you a before and after logs of your software if it would help. At this point I think I would like my money back. Also if you read my post it identified it as a Nikon D90 camera not a storage device! You let me know what you want to figure out what this problem is and I will stop guessing. I will be happy to write a review of this program and the insulting support

Wow :(

If you were really paying attention you would have seen from this forum that several posts already exists where users are having issues connecting their camera after upgrading to w10... this has been asked and answered several times, I was just pointing out that some info are not pertinent to resolving your issue.  Ruling stuff out right from the gate is very useful; too bad you saw this as an attack.  It was not my intent.

If it did work in the past and no longer works something has changed at your end because the software did not between your trial date and purchase date, we just need to figure it out.  Don't quit yet and please do not think that I feel intimidated by the threat of a bad review; I do not.

If you want to write a bad review there is nothing I can do to stop you... and no refund on any software that has been activated.  This is clearly stated in the notification area in the store.

I hope we can sort this out and you be on your way to start using BYN again.

Regards

I apologize for my initial reaction. I had read the other post on connection problems with windows 10 but because they were with Cannon cameras and single USB connections and did not think they were applicable. I guess you must see the multiple edits and I got up from bed to edit the post once more. You may be correct in that Windows 10 is not identifying the plug and play correctly. The device manage listed the D90 under portable device. I could not find any references to ports I spot checked the USB ports listed in the device manager. Once again I apologize, I have spent sometime trying to solve the issue myself and was trying to provide as much information for you to understand the configuration.

I tried to change the way Windows10 loaded the Nikon D90 drivers, from Portable Device to Image Device. I went to the Nikon web site for possible windows 10 drivers, nothing specific was listed in their software downloads page. I did read that their Camera Control Pro program was compatible with Windows 10 and had no issues. I downloaded the software as a trial version and it connected to the Nikon D90. I had removed the Portable Device D90 before the installation. After the installation it install the same Portable Device D90 drivers that were there before. The Camera Control Pro program operated the camera and brought up the viewing and transfer software which I had installed trying to get and image device driver. I'm sorry I can not tell you what drivers were installed when your trial version operated correctly. I left shortly after downloading your trial version and when I returned and was going to purchase the DSUB hardware and cabling my wife suggested that I let her provide it to me as a Christmas present. I figured that I would have no issues. After opening these gifts I tried to use the trial version to verify the compatibility but could not. Since your website said it was compatible I took a chance and thus is not the case. Attached is a screen shot showing the device manager, device & printer, and the Camera Control Pro windows.post-9890-0-48157900-1451199873_thumb.jpg

Is it possible that you've set the D90 to connect in "PTP Mode" (which DigiCamControl uses - but is incompatible with BYN)??

Is it possible that you have the Mirror-Lock set on the D90??

Also, do you have the BYN Capture Plan Center "Cable Support" pulldown set to "DSUSB" or "DSUSB2"??  And if so, do you get a Success for the "Test Cable" test (lower right corner)??

(These last two Qs are due to the contents of the log-file that you posted...)

I researched PTP mode for the D90 and found this on the web:

Richard replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry for having you chase rainbows. It took a lot of digging to find the answer but let me give you the exact naswer from Nikon.

There is no USB menu option for PTP or mass storage. It s stuck in PTP, meaning if you want to plug the D90 to your computer, that you'll need certain software or operating systems to recognize it.

The only mirror lock on the D90 is for cleaning you are not able to lock the mirror up and use the camera for imaging.

It maybe that one of the log files was generated when I had it disconnected

YOUR LAST QUESTION WAS THE SOLUTION: When I selected DSUB for the cable support the camera successfully connected to the BYN.

Thank You for your help

Sincerely

Kevin

Kevin,

I am totally confused. Perhaps because I am a Canon owner, but for BYE the Cable Support choice is in the Imaging screen.  It is not possible to activate the Imaging screen and choose DSUSB or DSUSB2 as the Cable Support option until you are connected to the camera.  So if you were not connected, how did you make that selection?

In addition, you should be able to take non-BULB exposures without the DSUSB (not DSUB) cable, so not selecting DSUSB or DSUSB2 should not prevent the connection between BYN and the camera.

Please clarify what was going on so that others can learn from how your issue was resolved.

Rick,

You are correct, for some reason when I selected connect the connection was made and I was able to make the DSUSB selection and the program operated correctly but, after exited the program I uninstalled the Nikon Camera Control 2 software (trial version). When I went back into BYN I was unable to connect to the camera again so I reinstalled the Camera Control 2 software think I lost the drivers. I was able to connect a couple of more times and I rebooted the computer and have not been able to since.

Rick,

I need to clarify something, you can get to the information center by selecting preview and you can change the parameters there without being connected. You certainly can't select the test cable until there is a connection.

At this point it appears the BYN software is unstable since it is switching something and connects sporadically. I have spent the last few hours trying to re-connect to the camera

Kevin,

Thanks for the clarification.  So your failure to connect was apparently due to missing or incorrect Windows drivers for the camera.  Installation of the Nikon Camera Control 2 application apparently installed the needed driver.

The driver issue may have been cause by the Windows 10 upgrade, after all.

Glad you are up and going.

I'm at a quandary, I have posted two log files today showing the connection after trying suggestions by Rick Burke it appeared that was the problem. I have posted my actions in earlier posts which I thought might have changed the Windows 10 configuration. I have tried to return the configuration with the re-installation of Nikon Camera Control software, it is connecting to the camera and controlling it. BYN continues to have connection issues. I retracted the "Marked Solved" flag.

Still Need Help

Sincerely

Kevin

logfile-20151227-11h25m27s402-3172-2015-12-27.txt

logfile-20151227-12h36m30s474-8124-2015-12-27.txt

So, it appears that a successful connection is not consistent.  Sometimes the SDK cannot find the camera, but other times it can.

The first log file shows a failed connection attempt at 11:25:48, but then, 17 seconds later it finds the camera and you are able to successfully connect.

I have read that Windows 10 is slower to recognize new devices and install their drivers than previous versions of Windows. So, my suggestion is to start with a freshly rebooted computer, connect the camera to the PC and turn the camera on.  Wait for at least 2 minutes before launching BYN and trying to connect.  Is this consistent in the result? Does it connect? 

This is difficult to follow and to understand from an SDK perspective.

BYN uses the same camera SDK as the Nikon Capture Pro 2 program.  I'm stump :(

The good thing is that you did succeed at one point but now it no longer connects.  This confirms that the current BYN version can at least connect to it in a given PC/Driver configuration.  We now need to figure out what is changing from time time; not an easy task :(

I know you did these before, but I would like these to be performed in this specific order to help find the root cause.

Let's try installing BYN in a separate folder.

1) Re-Install BYN in a separate folder (this will also make sure all pre-requisites are re-install).

2) Remove the SD card.

3) Make sure the camera is able to connect to Capture Pro 2.

4) Close Capture Pro 2 and reboot.

5) Wait 2 minutes, then try Capture Pro 2 (I want to see if everything is still working properly after a reboot with Capture Pro)

6) Close Capture Pro 2 and reboot (to get the same starting point when starting BYN as you had when starting Capture Pro 2 in step 5)

7) Wait 2 minutes, then start BYN and try to connect the camera.

Keep us posted.

1. Installed BYN inton Program files (x86)BackyardNikonv1.0a

2. removed SD card

3. Camera connected to Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2

4. Closed Control Pro 2 and rebooted with both USB cables connected and Camera powered on. Window came up with the D90 device window open.

5.Control Pro 2 successfully connected to the Nikon D90 and operated camera/

6. Closed Control Pro 2 and rebooted with both USB cables connected and Camera powered on. Window came up with the D90 device window open.

7. OS up and connected to camera for >15 mins while recording steps in blog post. Started BYN it came up with Camera Information Center Default "Camera USB." 

I should have indicated that before connecting I changed the default value to "DSUSD." Selected connect and it successfully connected to camera and operated itpost-9890-0-78377600-1451247219_thumb.jpg

YEAH :)

There is a known issue with the Nikon Drivers and Windows where under some circumstances (which I do not know what they are) the driver gets stuck in a weird state and will not connect; this is also true for Capture Pro 2 as far as I know.  The Nikon development team knows about it I was told but the issue is so deep in the driver that it would require a complete rewrite from what I was able to understand.  Their work-around when this happens is to reboot; this is why I asked that you reboot between each tests.

Regards,

It appears that if I wait a couple of minutes after the opening of BYN the chances of connection are much better. I have been experiment with this delay. The other problem I have encountered is that the Bulb function doesn't open the shutter. It does go through the timer. I have tried the test cable function and it goes through a period but I can't find the results.

Kevin,

I am responding to something that you said in an earlier post that I missed when I first read it.

You said that you were able to change the Cable Support setting from the Preview Screen.  I had thought that the entire reason for the Capture Plan Center controls on the Preview screen was to support offline load, edit, and save of capture plans.  Why the Cable Support dropdown is displayed on the Preview screen is a bit of a mystery to me since the setting is not part of the saved capture plan.  Whatever you enter for Cable Support on the Preview Screen does transfer back and forth between the Preview screen and the Imaging screen, as you have found.  That is one setting that I have not had to play with because my camera supports BULB over USB, but it does not behave as I would expect.

Also, if you Google connection issues you find many folks who have had issues connecting their camera to Capture Pro 2. Waiting for Windows or iOS to fully initialize the camera seems to help some of them.

The cable support field in Preview does nothing because the camera is not connected.  Well sort of... it is there because it is part of the SAVE capture plan feature.  This allows one to have complete capture plans save/load for specific cameras that requires a serial cable and those that do not.

Regards.

I have rebooted my system several times now and make sure that the devices are shown in the windows OS. I start BYN and if I try to connect immediately it will fail. Waiting at least 1 to 2 minutes the connection is successful.

Odd behavior for sure and honestly I do not know why it takes that much time the driver to wake up.

Do you still have the SD card out of the camera in those tests?

Guylain,

No, I put it back in as part of the testing after I was successful connecting to the Nikon. But, you hit the nail right on the head. I noticed that during the initial start up of the BYN that the LED of the Nikon D90 which I believe is reading the SD card was lit. After a period of time the LED went out and I tried to connect and it was successful. The only thing is in following your original debug post within the program and your direction in the blog I had removed the SD card and tried at the start to connect and received the camera not found error. I can't remember if there was a lit LED on camera, I suspect not since the card was removed there was not. Also the card did have a significant amount of files on it. I had just cold started the laptop without any USB connections and then connected the camera with the two cables and verified that the device was mounted. Started BYN and was waiting a couple of minutes when I noticed the LED light out after being lit during BYN start up. It connected no problem.

Kevin

Archived