Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

D5500 Issues

drbyyz

Question

First off, I'm using version 1.0.3 of BYN on Windows 10 with a Nikon D5500.  I've had issues connecting to the camera before in the past but have always been able to get it to connect after turning the camera on and off a few times.  Now I can't get it to connect at all.  The camera is connecting to the computer just fine as I can open it up in file explorer and open the pictures on it just fine.  But I can't get BYN to recognize it no matter what I do.  I've reinstalled the camera's driver several times as well as uninstalled and reinstalled BYN.  Nothing is working.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14 answers to this question

Thanks for the log files.

Looks like some SDK MD3 files are loaded and others are not.  This does look like a classic C++ redistribution package missing.  See post above and see if they are installed on your computer.  

Regards,

BYN uses a Nikon-supplied software library (SDK) to communicate with the camera. When the SDK first connects with the camera it creates a list of the images that are on the memory card that is in the camera.  This is a time-consuming process and can cause BYN to fail to connect.  The workaround is to make sure that the memory card is removed or is empty before trying to connect BYN to the camera.  Could this be causing your issue?

BTW, there have been a few cases where re-installing BYN has fixed a problem, but only if it is installed to a different folder on the PC. That is just something to keep in mind.

Hi

I have a D5500 which works fine with win 10 and Bynikon !. Only problem I had is when I tried qdslrdashboard which wiped my USB drivers and I couldn't use Bynikon then. Had to then reinstall win 10 a real PITA. If you would like me to try something with mine? BTW I have BYN Installed in its own directory on the C drive.

Steve

Trying to connect without the SD card did not help :(

Next thing I'll try is reinstalling BYN in a NEW folder, I did let it reinstall in the old folder last time I did it so I'll give that a shot.

doing a little digging on here and then again with Steve's comment I keep hearing about this qdslrdashboard thing....I don't think I've ever used that, is there anyway to check for sure?

Reinstalling in a fresh folder didn't help.

guyroch - this was an upgrade version of W10, not a clean install, has that caused issues before?  Also I sent the log files from my most recent attempt to connect.  I did notice when I looked at them that on start up there are tons of errors loading Nikon driver files:

2015-12-27 13:03:17,217 [Main] ERROR - Error loading Nikon driver file : C:\Program Files (x86)\BackyardNIKONv1.0\Nikon\Type0009\Type0009.md3
2015-12-27 13:03:17,217 [Main] ERROR - LoadLibrary failed to load MD3 file: C:\Program Files (x86)\BackyardNIKONv1.0\Nikon\Type0009\Type0009.md3. Download the MD3 file for your device on Nikons SDK website: https://sdk.nikonimaging.com/apply/
2015-12-27 13:03:17,217 [Main] ERROR -    at BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.Wrapper.NikonMd3..ctor(String md3File, String md3EntryPoint)
   at BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.Wrapper.NikonManager..ctor(String md3File, String md3EntryPoint, SynchronizationContext context)
   at BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.NikonCameraManager.LoadManagers(String dir)

I'll play around with making sure I have the correct MD3 file and see if that helps.

Reinstalling in a fresh folder didn't help.

guyroch - this was an upgrade version of W10, not a clean install, has that caused issues before?  Also I sent the log files from my most recent attempt to connect.  I did notice when I looked at them that on start up there are tons of errors loading Nikon driver files:

Yes it will cause some issues as a W10 upgrade will NOT ensure the Nikon SDK pre-requisites are re-installed.

I'm pretty sure this is the case given the error you have is occurring when BYN tries to load the Nikon SDK files.

Reinstall BYN and try again.

DO NOT try to replace the MD3 files, they are already provided by BYN.

It looks like you are missing the VS C++ redistribution files.  BYN requires 2010 x86 , 2012 x86 , 2013 x86 C++ redistribution files.  Not all are used but some cameras requires that they be there.

Check to see if those are installed on your computer.  The BYN installer should have installed them.

Regards,

DO NOT try to replace the MD3 files, they are already provided by BYN.

It looks like you are missing the VS C++ redistribution files.  BYN requires 2010 x86 , 2012 x86 , 2013 x86 C++ redistribution files.  Not all are used but some cameras requires that they be there.

Check to see if those are installed on your computer.  The BYN installer should have installed them.

Regards,

Where should I look for these files???

Looks like the redistributables were the answer!  Installed all the ones that you mentioned(they were all already installed it appeared, so I did the "repair" option after downloading them) and also installed the lastest 2015 as well.  Anyway, camera connects fine now.  Thanks for the help!

Archived