Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Wireless control

Heno

Question

This is one for the future I suppose, but after I got my D750 with built in wireless I started thinking if wireless could work with Backyard Nikon as well?
I can control the camera from my iPhone using Nikon WMU app (very simplistic) and as I understand the Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 can operate the camera using a wireless connection. I can connect to the camera directly from my laptop, but I cannot do anything as I have no software to control the camera.

Wouldn't it be great if we could do away with the USB cable all together?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 answers to this question

I am just trying to say that as a feature wireless communication with the camera has little value to me.  Automatic focusing is a different story. I would rather Guylain and Chris put their efforts into that.

If wireless control of DSLR cameras is going to become popular it can and should be transparent to the application software such as BYE and BYN.  It will just take the camera makers time to get there.

Add to this that:

1) With the best of configurations, WiFi connections are still Slower than USB2 (USB3 on some of the newest models) - especially for Image Transfer which is one of the Primary Features of BYE/BYN.  Throughput suffers even more when there is Contention for the WiFi Channels.

2) Most of the current DSLRs WiFi Offerings do not support Ad-Hoc Network Connections for their PC SDKs, so one needs to provide (and Power) a WiFi Router/AP as part of an Infrastructure Network setup. (This also slows things down if using a distant Home or Site-supplied WiFi infrastructure.)

3) The On-Camera WiFi electronics are yet another Battery-Drain and Heat-Source - undesirables for most AP Imaging.

Why all these arguments against a feature meant to be an option? If you don't want to use it, then don't. If you're not allowed to use it, then don't. But maybe some of us would despite all arguments against it. I'm just sayin'!

The critical issue is that both BYE and BYN use software libraries (SDKs) that are provided by, but unsupported by the camera manufacturers.  In addition to the camera and the PC supporting WiFi, the appropriate SDK for the camera must also be able to connect to and control the camera via WiFi. This makes the connection method invisible to BYE or BYN.

At this point I do not believe that the camera makers intend the camera to be fully-controlled via a wireless connection.  I am sure that they will get there.

I would also say that some star parties do not allow wireless control of scopes, cameras, etc at their star parties because only a few users would then be able to dominate all of the radio frequences used by the WiFi standard.  Notable are the Winter Star Party, and the Texas Star Party.

I would also say that some star parties do not allow wireless control of scopes, cameras, etc at their star parties because only a few users would then be able to dominate all of the radio frequences used by the WiFi standard.  Notable are the Winter Star Party, and the Texas Star Party.

Add to this that:

1) With the best of configurations, WiFi connections are still Slower than USB2 (USB3 on some of the newest models) - especially for Image Transfer which is one of the Primary Features of BYE/BYN.  Throughput suffers even more when there is Contention for the WiFi Channels.

2) Most of the current DSLRs WiFi Offerings do not support Ad-Hoc Network Connections for their PC SDKs, so one needs to provide (and Power) a WiFi Router/AP as part of an Infrastructure Network setup. (This also slows things down if using a distant Home or Site-supplied WiFi infrastructure.)

3) The On-Camera WiFi electronics are yet another Battery-Drain and Heat-Source - undesirables for most AP Imaging.

For the Higher-end Canons and Nikons which Offer WiFi Connectivity, one must be discerning whether that Connectivity is implemented through the Issued SDK (Software Development Kit) or through one of the Alternative Connection Modes such as PTP (which several other Apps opt to utilize instead of the SDK).

The SDK-based Connectivity can sometimes be identified by whether the EOS Utility or Nikon Camera Control provides the same Functionality (as these two Apps are based upon their respective SDKs - unfortunately sometimes using Undocumented Features).

These Apps have strongly hinted that the newest SDK might indeed provide WiFi Connectivity and Control (a must for BYE/BYN purposes) for a couple of the Newest DSLRs (as other Forum Threads have referenced), but those Functions must be exposed by the SDK for a 3rd-party Developer to make use of them.

Sorry if it has been discussed before. I tried a search, but could not find anything. It was just an idea that popped up in my head. I don't know enough about this to partisipate in any meaningful discussion.

Sorry if it has been discussed before. I tried a search, but could not find anything. It was just an idea that popped up in my head. I don't know enough about this to partisipate in any meaningful discussion.

That is the purpose of this forum.  Do not be shy to post questions of make suggestions.  We are here to share and learn... and that mean participation from every corner of the world regardless of your background :)

Welcome to the forum.

Regards,

Archived