Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

20D remote control with BYE

mguaveia

Question

hi,

I am having a problem with my canon EOS 20D.

Although I can connect with BYE, when I try to capture an image, the log history is saying:

2:07:38  Licensed to mguaveia
22:07:46  Attempting to connect camera...
22:07:46  Canon drivers 'Canon210\' initialized.
22:07:52  EOS 20D CONNECTED!
22:08:09  Imaging session started.
22:08:10  Imaging session cancelled
22:08:10  Your camera requires a configured serial cable for BULB or Mirror Lock.
22:08:11  Imaging session cancelled

I use the IFC-400PCU that connect the camera to my PC

I also have to say that when I use my other canon EOS T1i, I don't have such problem.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Michel

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 answers to this question

Michel,

S3igell gave you the solution.

The solution is also in the log file fragment that you provided:

22:08:10  Your camera requires a configured serial cable for BULB or Mirror Lock.

Your T1i is a newer camera and Canon makes it possible for BYE to control BULB exposures via the USB control cable.

The 20D is an older model and Canon does not allow control of BULB exposures via the USB cable.  In order to do BULB exposures with your 20D, you must connect a second cable, along with the first cable.  This cable connects from a USB port on the PC to the remote shutter jack on the 20D. This cable is called a DSUSB cable.  For more information go to the bottom of this page and click on the BYE Camera Support Grid.  Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Shoestring Astronomy DSUSB link.

Archived