Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Camera stays in Tv mode, will not go to bulb

Daniel_Marcus

Question

I tried using astro tortilla, and and could not get it to work. When done, it looks like BYEOS will not let the camera go to bulb mode. Uninstalled BYEv3.1 and reinstalled it. Still same problem. After leaving frame and focuse, when you try to image for 10 sec the camera informaton center shows Tv : 2", and will show downloading after 2 sec and keep showing downloading till the time the shutter is set for (if set for 300 sec will do it for 300 sec, and only take a 2 sec exposure.???????? Program worked before Astro Tortilla was installed. Have not tried to uninstall astro tortilla yet. Any suggestions? Running XP. Camera works ok on other computer (win 7) running BYeos v3.1.

Daniel Marcus

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

camera firmware is ver 1.0.2,

and have uninstalled the eos software and have the newest(?) - just down loaded it  fresh last month from web site, removed, rebooted, and installed the eos software before trying it the last test. EOS software will bring the camera in and out of bulb and images show proper exposure for the setting shown. Computer is hooked to the internet and does update. Believe it has XP-SP3 on it (32bit).

Dan,

I would expect that lots of people use the T3i without encountering the same issue as you.  If your friend's camera does not show the same issue I would compare the in-camera settings screen-by-screen to see what is different.

If you don't want to wait that long, perhaps another T3i owner could PM you so you could compare how the camera is set up.

Hi

yah the camera works ok on 3 of 4 computers that I've tried. Will try on a 5th and 6th  when I see Mike I-( His might be XP) and Dennis B -(win 8?), as they use it as well. The unfortunate thing is the computer that I run the telescope with is the one that is giving me the problem. Will keep you up to date - only go out to the site once a week, so it may take a while before I can try anything out.

Dan

I believe, based on the scant information that you provided, that your issue is due to pilot error. Do not uninstall AstroTortilla.  It does NOT make any permanent changes to BYE.  AT only asks BYE to capture an image.  The duration of the image is specified on the AT screen. Un-installing or re-installing AstroTortilla will not impact the operation of BYE in any way.

Some Canon cameras have separate mode settings for Bulb and Manual, but for most of them Bulb is not a shooting mode. I will assume that your camera does not have a separate BULB setting on the dial.

There are 2 different settings that you can set to capture a 10 second image with BYE. The first is to set the Shutter dropdown to 10". This will capture a 10 second image with the exposure being timed by the camera. It will work if the dial on the top of the camera to the right of the viewfinder is set to either M or Tv.  The way to take a 10 second exposure is to set the Shutter dropdown to BULB and the duration to a value of 10.  This will also take a 10 second exposure, but when the shutter is closed is controlled by BYE.

So when you tried to take a 10 second exposure which settings did you use? What mode was the camera set to (Tv pr BULB)? What camera are you using? Which version of BYE (there have been 3 updates to 3.1 so specify all 3 numbers!)?

The more information that you provide, the better the help that the community can provide.

HI all

No the camera was on M, unpluged it from the one computer and plugged it into the other, worked fine for the rest of the night. Still had problems with the first computer when we tried it again before going home after uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Usually it is the loose nut behind the keyboard :-) and may still be!

hard to explain as I am not sitting in front of the computer that is not working properly. but when it comes off of focus mode to imaging mode, and set the exposure for Bulb and set the time for 300 sec, it still shows Tv: 2"  when you take the exposure. At 2 sec it then says downloading and circles around for the remainder 300 sec. When you get the image it looks like a 2 sec exposure. The camera information center Tv will not show Bulb when you expose using Bulb and an exposure time.

Dan

using windows xp , byeos 3.1.3 Camera is set to M, go to imaging tab,  shutter setting in imaging is set to bulb, duration to 300 sec, hit start exposure, 2 seconds later it says downloading, and does that for the remainder 300 sec, the camera information center  Tv window shows 2", NOT bulb like it should. Exposure is 2 sec long, but you wait 300 sec for it to download. that make more sense??? I do the same thing with the other computer -just move the USB cable over to it, and it works just fine, the camera information center changes over to bulb and exposes for 300 sec, and I get a 300 sec image. Looking for suggestions

Daniel Marcus

If the camera information center says TV then the camera is in TV mode and not BULB.  We need to figure out why it is not moving to BULB.

Try EOS Utility and see if you can take BULB images.

Try also setting the BULB mode using the camera dial, maybe this will set the firmware to BULB and may/should work after that.

Keep us posted,

Finally got back to the Obs - cloudy as usual, but got to try out the XP computer again. When you go to planetary, or focus and set the shutter speed to a non bulb setting, and then go back to imaging it stays at the non bulb setting unless you manually at the camera set it back to bulb. of course I forgot to check to see if it will go from a non bulb setting in focus or planetary back to bulb. But I did use the canon software for remote shooting. The computer will control the camera, using the canon software, and will go from bulb to a shutter speed and back to bulb again. When I go back there on Sunday for a daytime event,  I will check to see if I can go from a  bulb setting in imaging to a non bulb setting and back again to a bulb setting and see what that does. When I unplug the usb cable and change computers without touching the camera, it still works properly on the other computer. ??

Daniel Marcus

Hi Daniel,

This is normal. 

In Live view and planetary mode the camera info center is live.

In imaging mode is is not because the settings are only initiated when you start you imaging session because the capture plan contains multiple values based on each line item. 

You do not have to set it manually.  Start a capture plan with a BULB shutter and BYE will automatically change it.

Hope this helps,

I was wondering if Daniel was confused about the imaging settings only being set when an exposure is shot. However the issue that he appears to be reporting is that when he has the set the capture plan time to some BULB value and starts the capture plan, only a 2 second image is taken and downloaded but that BYE hangs until the exposure was expected to be complete.

I have asked what camera model he is using and whether he is using a separate shutter control cable. I was wondering if he has an old camera where the second cable is needed for BULB exposures.  As far as I have read, he has never provided that information.

I was wondering if Daniel was confused about the imaging settings only being set when an exposure is shot. However the issue that he appears to be reporting is that when he has the set the capture plan time to some BULB value and starts the capture plan, only a 2 second image is taken and downloaded but that BYE hangs until the exposure was expected to be complete.

I have asked what camera model he is using and whether he is using a separate shutter control cable. I was wondering if he has an old camera where the second cable is needed for BULB exposures.  As far as I have read, he has never provided that information.

If this is correct I would need the log file to confirm.

It could be that the camera dial is on TV instead of M. 

Can you please send me the log file?

Regards,

Oops silly me should have mentioned the camera - camera is a T3i running it with a USB cable, camera set to M. If you use my xp (32bit)computer and byeos in planitary mode, and are not using bulb. When you go to imgaing again and set it for bulb and 300 second, it will use the settings from the planitary mode, and will NOT go to bulb. It will take a "300" second exposure, but after the time showing in the Tv frame is up it will show downloading for the remainder 300 sec and the exposure will NOT be 300 sec but it will be the setting show in the Tv frame. Unplug the camera from the xp computer and do nothing to it but plug it into the other computer (win 7 32bit) and it works as advertised. (I make NO changes to the camera settings on the camera). When I am out there again I will get the log file. Probably a user issue, knowing me, but it sure is a puzzlement why it works when you unplug the USB cable from the XP computer and plug it into the other computer it behaves properly.

Daniel Marcus

I tried to duplicate Daniel's issue with my T5i and BYE 3.1.3 on my Win 7 x64 desktop and was not able to re-create it.

I had Planetary/LiveView exposure set to 2", captured a 100 frame video, switched to imaging, captured a 40 second bulb exposure.  I heard the mirror go up at the start of the exposure and back down 40 seconds later. I repeated this test with the Max Sensitivity setting checked on unchecked.  It made no difference.

I hope that the log file reveals the root cause.

I've seen this a few times when cameras were not able to go back to bulb.  In all 2 or 3 cases I've seen it was due to a camera setting and a camera setting reset fixed the issue if my memory serves my right.  I would definitely like to find out which setting is that... but that can be a daunting tasks given there are typically > 100 settings in those cameras :(

Regards,

HI Guy

Problem cured - Works now????? I tried a friend's T3i on the offending computer, and it worked fine. Went in and out of bulb when going from focusing to imaging perfectly. Tried my camera after trying his, and it was working properly as well??? I had previously used my camera to image the conjunction of Venus and Jup. The only settings I remember changing - ISO, f, shutter speed,stops to underexpose, and the only one that may have made a difference is I used the self timer setting instead of a cable release? (it is now back to one shot mode) What ever, it currently is working properly now. Did not have time to try out Astro T and see if it made a difference. Will do that another night. If I ever figure out what the problem really was I'll let you know. My guess is it is a computer issue - It froze again - had a I/O boot error when we rebooted, had to reseat the PCI dual serial port card to cure that, then had driver issues with CCD soft and our SBIG ST-9 camera. So something maybe (is) going on with that computer, May have to look into replacing it to insure it's reliability.

Thanks for the help,  LOVE the program.

Daniel Marcus

Archived