Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Folders and viewing.

willcarney

Question

Had another session that had same issues.  The memory card was not in the camera this time but had same results.  I specified a separate download folder but left the other two folders as original default.  It showed the image taken but did not save the photos in the specified folder.  Saved them in the original default folder.  If I specified all three folders it did not show any images at all after each shot and still did not save the images in the specified folders.  It also did not rename any images as any names I tried to specified.  I have yet to get any names I choose to work.  Regardless of what settings I do.

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It did not work yesterday.  It was not saving images to proper folder.  It was not naming picture files.  It was not copying log history to clipboard.  It would not display any images.  Later it would not even take the pictures.

It did not work yesterday.  It was not saving images to proper folder.  It was not naming picture files.  It was not copying log history to clipboard.  It would not display any images.  Later it would not even take the pictures.

Send me an email support@binaryrivers.com and I'll do a remote session again.

I've tried both ways.  This time I specified the other two folders specified the download folder.  It still stuck the pictures in the BackYardTemp and Download sub folder.  Not the folder I created.  It would not show the images only the preview and it would not name the images either.  I specified the folders save and exited the program.  Then opened the program again to run it.

post-3117883-141893876626_thumb.jpg

This has not been a topic in quite some time, but BYE used to have an occasional issue with reading and modifying the EXIF data in your image.  When it had that problem, the images were left in the temporary directory where they were downloaded from the camera.  These seem to the the symptoms that you are seeing.

Try checking the "Skip Read EXIF data" and "Skip Write EXIF data" checkboxes on the Advanced Settings screen and see if that changes your symptoms.

I've tried both ways.  This time I specified the other two folders specified the download folder.  It still stuck the pictures in the BackYardTemp and Download sub folder.  Not the folder I created.  It would not show the images only the preview and it would not name the images either.  I specified the folders save and exited the program.  Then opened the program again to run it.

Send the log files in "BackyardTEMP\logs" folder and I'll take a look.

Send them to support@binaryrivers.com

Are you running on XP, Vista, W7, or W8?

Regards,

I'll try that in just a few minutes.  It's odd that these problems only occurred when I tried to use my own folders and my own picture names.  This last time I specified the original default except the folder I wanted the images to go to.  It still placed them into the download folder not mine.  No names or viewing either.

post-3117883-141893876631_thumb.png

Tried the skip as you mentioned.  Still saves images in default not my specified folder.  Won't show the images.  Won't name the images.

This looks like the background thread is failing somehow. 

When you take a picture, once it is don downloading... so you have a BackgroundWorker task running in Windows?

I would like to remote login to find out what is happening.

Guylain

Will,

According to  your most-recent screenshot you still have the download folder as a sub-folder of the BackyardTEMP folder.  This is what Guylain suggested that you change. Something like this is more normal:

Download folder:          C:\Users\William\Pictures\BackyardNIKON

Plan folder:                 C:\Users\William\Pictures\BackyardNIKON\Plans

BackyardTEMP folder:   C:Users\William\Pictures\BackyardTEMP

Notice that the Download and Plan folder are under the under directory tree of the BackyardTEMP folder.

I believe that the BackyardTEMP folder is for internal use by BYN/BYE and even if it worked, storing your captured images and stored capture plans in that temporary folder structure is not a good idea.

Perhaps there is come confusion about the purpose of the Download folder.  This folder is NOT where BYN stores the images when they are downloaded from the camera.  It is in this folder, and its sub-folders, that BYN stores the images when it has finished with them.

I did some more testing.  On the closing issue.  If I don't try and connect to the camera the program will close properly.  When I try to connect it fails and that's when the program locks up.  I had one test the ctrl-alt-del would not even come up and I had to hit the off switch.  I could open the program then change the folders with no problem.  Then close the program so long as I did not try and connect.  Once any attempt to connect is tried it always fails then locks the program.

I've tried changing the download folder four or five times.  No go.  And, yes, it does save the images in the BackyardTemp/Download folder.  That's part of the problem.  No matter what folder I specify it won't save it to that one.  If it's suppose to store them somewhere else than that temp/download it's NOT.  No matter what I specify as the download folder it places the images in the BackyardTemp/Download.  It will store a preview picture in my specified folder just not the sequence shots.  Also does not show the images or rename them.  Not sure what's going on since it worked before using the defaults.  When I changed them that's when the program stopped working normally.

Can Real Player be a problem.  A number of times I got this error when I turned the camera on with the program running.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BEX
  Application Name: recordingmanager.exe
  Application Version: 17.0.9.18
  Application Timestamp: 53423f1c
  Fault Module Name: StackHash_5861
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
  Exception Offset: PCH_07_FROM_ntdll+0x0003D72C
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Data: 00000008
  OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 5861
  Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
  Additional Information 3: d1d9
  Additional Information 4: d1d94a13d3609d6b740644c12508f581

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Might be a conflict here.

I did some more testing.  On the closing issue.  If I don't try and connect to the camera the program will close properly.  When I try to connect it fails and that's when the program locks up.  I had one test the ctrl-alt-del would not even come up and I had to hit the off switch.  I could open the program then change the folders with no problem.  Then close the program so long as I did not try and connect.  Once any attempt to connect is tried it always fails then locks the program.

Thanks Will.

It still does not make sense to me as to why you have this behavior <_>

I need some time to maul over this one.

Thanks for reporting back.

RealPlayer is a PITA in general, as it tends to "snoop" on which Files are being Written, and then look to "process" quite a number of types (including "CR2" files on my PC) in a heavy background process.

Perhaps this process is getting in "too quick" and locking the files while BYN is expecting to be able to Open them for further EXIF and Histogram processing...

Can Real Player be a problem.  A number of times I got this error when I turned the camera on with the program running.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: recordingmanager.exe

Application Version: 17.0.9.18

Application Timestamp: 53423f1c

Fault Module Name: StackHash_5861

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: PCH_07_FROM_ntdll+0x0003D72C

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 5861

Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2

Additional Information 3: d1d9

Additional Information 4: d1d94a13d3609d6b740644c12508f581

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Might be a conflict here.

Oh yes it can.  Once BYE or BYN downloads a file it has a few process accessing the file to rename, read/write exif, load the image, copy to final folder... etc.

If any other apps tries to access the file, and places a lock on it, it will prevent BYE or BYN to do its job and may result in unexpected behavior.

Regards,

Another odd test.  When I had the camera disconnected and ran the program it of course said it can't connect but it did close.  Each time I ran the program without the camera it did close.  It only would not close if the camera was attached and then failed connection.  Weird.

Then BYN won't work with Real Player.  I don't understand why it worked before and now it won't.  It also does not explain why BYN won't use named folders.  Or why BYN won't name the picture files either.  BYN worked fine until I changed the folder for download.  Then it did not.  It worked with Real Player before I changed the folder.  Now it does not.  It all started with changing the download folder name.  I can disable Real Player and it still does the same thing.

Then BYN won't work with Real Player.  I don't understand why it worked before and now it won't.  It also does not explain why BYN won't use named folders.  Or why BYN won't name the picture files either.  BYN worked fine until I changed the folder for download.  Then it did not.  It worked with Real Player before I changed the folder.  Now it does not.  It all started with changing the download folder name.  I can disable Real Player and it still does the same thing.

We need to reschedule our remote login session.  Without it I can only speculate <_ i did not say realplayer was the issue. said if a software is trying to access file in temp folder before byn done with it may create issues. at all convinced doing that.>

Regards,

I completely disabled all RealPlayer-Real Cloud programs and ran a test.  It still did the same thing with no RealPlayer in the background.  Right now I'm on a late night schedule.  I usually get up about 3-5pm CST US.  Any time in the evening is ok.  Just e-mail me.  I like the program and would like to solve this issue.  Has anyone else changed the folders or named the picture files and have it work?

I completely disabled all RealPlayer-Real Cloud programs and ran a test.  It still did the same thing with no RealPlayer in the background.  Right now I'm on a late night schedule.  I usually get up about 3-5pm CST US.  Any time in the evening is ok.  Just e-mail me.  I like the program and would like to solve this issue.  Has anyone else changed the folders or named the picture files and have it work?

I've been running several tests here tonight changing the folders left and right and everything is working as planned.

The issue is something else.  I need to remote login!

Can I remote login right now?  If yes send me an email right now at support@binaryrivers.com

Yeah,

I was finally able to remote login on Will's computer and fix it. 

The issue was actually in the installer, it was missing a configuration file.

I have just updated the BackyardNIKON v1 BETA02 to include this missing config file so all is good now :)

Thank you for your patience Will.

Regards,

Archived