Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

image Plus 6.5 with auto focus

jimwc6491

Question

Hay Guys

a month or so ago I upgraded my Image Plus to 6.5, and it comes with a camera control with a auto focus routine.

the camera control is no where near what BYEOS is.  

I was wondering if anyone has used the auto focus. seems like a lot of setup before you can even use it. any thoughts.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 answers to this question

Guylain & Rick

I was just wondering if any one that uses BYEOS has tried to use the Autofocus part of the IPCC.

if it takes the amount of setup that IPCC takes to make it work. I can appreciate the work that Guylain is putting into the auto focus portion of BYEOS.

I just was not aware of all the settings involved. I am sure that Guylain is simplifying the process for us.

Jim,

All those steps and settings are needed to determine the effect that focuser movement has on changing the star size for your optical train.  This relationship is used to estimate how much to adjust the focuser to bring the target star close to focus.  That said, if there is room for improvements to simplify the training and focus adjustment processes, I am sure that Guylain and Chris will figure them out.

Rick

I was thinking all it took was to monitor the FWHM similar to what I do manually and make adjustments accordingly.

if Guylain and Chris are trying to simplify the process I'm sure there is a lot of tweaking involved to make it work correctly.

and not a lot of time on the weekends and evenings to do that, especially if you are trying to make it fit with the rest of the programming in BYE. 

I've done a little programing but nothing as complicated as BYE so I sort of know how much time tweaking and debugging can take.

Rick

That paper was very interesting. now I understand the complexities of the operation. I can only start to comprehend what needs to be done when you have multiple cameras and scope combinations.

some of the camera specs called for in the equations are hard to find for DSLR cameras, so a data base of these constants would have to be compiled, or if entered by the user, then saved to a file.

a artificial star of some sort would almost have to be used during the day just to get it close. then you have the BYE, ASCOM, and Canon commands to contend with. WOW its mind blowing just to think of how much work is involved.

I just wish Guylain could keep us informed of his progress, although I know some people would not understand what is going on, and it would only start a thread of asking irrelevant questions and take away from Guylain's work time.

Rick

That paper was very interesting. now I understand the complexities of the operation. I can only start to comprehend what needs to be done when you have multiple cameras and scope combinations.

some of the camera specs called for in the equations are hard to find for DSLR cameras, so a data base of these constants would have to be compiled, or if entered by the user, then saved to a file.

a artificial star of some sort would almost have to be used during the day just to get it close. then you have the BYE, ASCOM, and Canon commands to contend with. WOW its mind blowing just to think of how much work is involved.

I just wish Guylain could keep us informed of his progress, although I know some people would not understand what is going on, and it would only start a thread of asking irrelevant questions and take away from Guylain's work time.

My biggest regret was to start communicating my plans for auto-focusing a few years back.  Ever since then I get asked and asked again when it will be ready.  I failed in my first implementation and I had to go back to the drawing board (this is a no compromise feature, it needs to work the first time and all the time).  I have decided to no longer communicate the plans for big features like this because then I'm on the hook to deliver (or explain why it was not delivered).  This is just not practical when BYE/BYE is still a weekend/weeknight gig.

Regards

Regards,

Guylain

I am sorry that I have ruffled your feathers on this matter. I know you are only working Nights and weekends on BYE/BYN.  I am one of the people that have been waiting since the inception, I just get a wild hair once in a while and wonder what is happening. I did not realize the complexities of this feature, as I said before I thought it was just a mater of monitoring the FWHM and making adjustments as needed for a one time shot auto focuses before a imaging run. Thanks to Rick in providing me with a very informative paper, I now know different, and will try to sit back and be patient and hopefully be pleasantly surprised when it is finally released.  

Archived