Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

D7000 w/ "true dark current" hack no longer works in BYN

drfalken

Question

Greetings,

I bought the 'pro' version of BYN and it's been working very well for me and my D7000, until I tested the  the "True dark current - Menu based" hack provided by nikonhacker .

The problem is that with the option turned on, the USB transfer of data to a PC in BYN no longer works: with the option dark current option (menu based) ON, I can no longer download the frames directly from the camera to the hard drive: the camera will just hang there.
If I revert the option, disconnect and re-connect, the transfer works again.

I thought this hack was pretty popular with nikon users doing AP, so I'm wondering if anybody else has encountered these issues...

I have posted this issue on the nikonhacker forum and was advised to use some other control software (digicam control), but since I've already invested money in BYN (and I quite like it), I would like to try to make it work.
Appreciate any help,
Dan

12 answers to this question

Hi guyroch,

Thank your for your reaction.

I downloaded the nikon backyard trail version to verify what exactly happens and to to check if I want to purchase a full license off course.

Everything seems to work fine with my D5100. I have the true dark current patch enabled completely.

There are two ways to apply the patch, (depending on camera model see Nikon Hacker to check possibilities):

1 ) completely (means no menu option, so the true dark current is always enabled)

2 ) menu option ( you can switch between true dark current or not using a menu option)

I haven't checked myself yet, but probably the menu option causes things to go wrong, whereas enabling it completely seems to work perfectly!

I just shot several test shots with a lens attached and all the images were downloaded throught the original USB cable without problems.

There is also a difference in image dimension output between the 2 ways of applying the patch. When it's enabled completely, the image dimensions are like normal. Otherwise the image dimensions are a bit larger.

To topic starter: for the D7000, there is the possibility to enable the true dark current completely on firmware 1.03, so maybe it can work for your camera too?

cheers,

Mabula

The problem is that with the option turned on, the USB transfer of data to a PC in BYN no longer works: with the option dark current option (menu based) ON, I can no longer download the frames directly from the camera to the hard drive: the camera will just hang there.
If I revert the option, disconnect and re-connect, the transfer works again.

Hi,

I have just patched my Nikon D5100 with the true dark current patch and the next step for me was to buy Backyard Nikon so dithered shooting becomes possible together with PHD.

Does this mean that Backyard Nikon totally doesn't work with the true dark current patch, or does it still work, but you can't download the raw files directly that you have shot?

Cheers,

Mabula

30 minutes ago, Mako said:

I also have a Nikon 7000, so will my camera work with backyard NIKON or not? Thanks This is my first time doing astro-imaging BTW.

Please start a new thread.  Your question is not related to this thread and as a result dilutes the usefulness on this thread.

The short answer is yes, the d7000 is supported.

Mako,

This thread is about the fact that when the user modified (hacked) the camera's firmware that BYN no longer worked. As long as you have a version of BYN that is newer than your camera and you have unmodified, factory firmware it should work just fine.

In the future, don't be shy about creating a new thread for a new issue.

Also you should read the following post and follow the link in it to the table with the list of supported Nikon cameras.

Be sure that your version of Windows is listed in the row for your camera. Also note that this table is for the most recent version of BYN. When Nikon releases a new camera model. It will not be supported by BYN until the new model is supported by the Nikon SDK and a new version of BYN has been released that uses that SDK.

On 4/26/2018 at 9:33 AM, jcbeyer said:

The problem using the dark current patch extends to several Nikon models.  My D800E will not work with BYNikon if the hack is active.  I only have used the temporary hack but same problem.

I had problems with DigiCamController after it seemed to work for a while with the hack so purchased this in the hope it might work, but I am getting unreliable downloads etc... I have to look into the firmware as I have an old (original) D800, early adopter. 

This is an old post. If you have a question or a problem that you would like help with, please create a new post in the BYN Forum.

The developers of BYN have provided a free 30-day Trial license to allow you to thoroughly test BYN with your camera before purchasing.

If you want help with "unreliable downloads etc..." please provide as much information as you can about how to re-create the issue. Your report is the first of this kind.