Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

mount guiding

jimwc6491

Question

anyone

Just took a look at the changes/new options in the latest updates.

it mentions manual dithering via ascom  for mounts that does not require guiding.

how does this work? and what are the requirements? in short will it work with my mount (CGEM DX).

I know Celestron has done some upgrades to the firmware will this allow this. 

Thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 answers to this question

Rick is correct.

ASCOM dithering in BYE/BYN is only for those that do unguided imaging.  If you guide with PHD or MetaGuide DO NOT use ASCOM dithering, you will only mess things up as your guiding software will *fight* the ASCOM dither.

If you are guiding with PHD you must use PHD dithering in BYE/BYN.

Regards,

Rick

Thanks for the info. I had read the post a little while back and it had sparked the idea of dithering with out using PHD2

now will I still need to Guide with PHD2. it looks like I may have to when doing long exposures.

which bring up another question. does the BYEOS dither cancel out guiding or does it compliment guiding via PHD2. 

Jim,

As your exposures become longer, guiding becomes more necessary.

The option that you asked about is only for dithering with unguided imaging, i.e no PHD or Metaguide.

If you are using a guiding application then you should not use BYE's ASCOM dithering. Dithering should be coordinated with the guiding app so if you are guiding with PHD2 then you should dither via PHD2. 

It would really not make much sense to guide with PHD, but dither directly to the mount from BYE.  Especially since PHD supports initiation of dithering from BYE.

If you tried ASCOM dithering while guiding with PHD it is likely that 1 of 2 things would occur. Either PHD would cancel out the dither when it moved the guide star back (because PHD would not know that the guide star was moved as part of a dither), or if the dithering was very aggressive it would cause PHD to lose the guide star altogether.  Neither of which you want to have happen.

Rick, Guylain

Thanks for the clarification.

I do a lot of non guided photography. I have found that anything over about 90 seconds needs to be guided.

so when I do non guided ill use the BYEOS dithering. when guided Ill use the PHD2 dithering.

Thanks again.

Archived