Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

New Canon T5 - what cables do I need?

baron555

Question

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 answers to this question

I am acquiring a modified Canon T5.  I know it doesn't have the mirror lock feature.  What limitations will this create using BYE?

Will I need more than one cable to run this camera?

Tnx in advance.

I can highly recommend one extra cable: AC adapter for the camera. Never again have to worry about a battery getting too cold to function.

In BYE Mirror Lock is only used when the Mirror Lock delay time is non-zero.  For your camera just leave the value at zero.

You can control the rest of the camera's operation with a single USB cable. According to the Camera Support Grid, you do NOT need a serial cable for BULB exposures.

Great and thank you.  What does one use the mirror lock function for then?  (just to derail my own thread!)

Some people believe that the flipping up of the mirror causes vibration that can be seen in the subsequent image.

In my experience this is not really significant for most astroimaging. The only situation is where it could be a problem is when the mount is not steady and the exposure is short (very short for astrophotography).

If the mount reacts at all to the mirror flipping up it should quickly settle down after perhaps a second, at most.  But if you are taking a long exposure, the portion of the exposure that was captured during the initial disruption will be overwhelmed by the signal that was captured during the rest of the exposure. So in effect you will never see it.

Mirror lock is over rated.  People want to use it, some even convince themselves they need it because it's available.

Mirror lock is only useful on short exposure < than a second or 2 and only and only your mount is flaky.  On long exposure image any vibration cause the the mirror is washed out overtime and it is useless to use mirror lock.

So, do you need mirror on long exposure photography, NOPE, NADA, ZILCH :)

I use 12VDC for my camera (via an adaptor), USB 3 hub, mount, etc.  and a mains to 12VDC rectifier system to power it all. I find this an easier solution than multiple mains feeds. I made this choice as if I ever did decide to take my mount for a walk to an external site everything would power from the 12V battery.

Probably a '6 of one half a dozen of the other' choice.

Jim

Archived