Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Camera Cable Support

zelonisv_bob

Question

Last winter, during very cold weather cables stiffened, and when slewing or when a wind blew, I had intermittent disconnects between my camera and its tiny USB plug.  To prevent this from happening, I rigged a simple-to-make clamp that attaches to the bottom of the camera and uses a clothespin to hold the camera cable.  The linked photo shows that the clamp consists of a thin piece of wood cut from a common paint stirring stick and a clothespin with one of its legs glued to the stick.  A one-quarter inch hole is drilled through the stick so that a 1/4-20 machine screw of any style can hold the rig to the bottom of the camera.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/l55jfp8k8a3q9v3/Camera%20Cable%20Support.JPG?dl=0

Bob Z.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 answers to this question

Here's another option to Protect your DSLR's USB I/O Port:

23464972559_748e834189_z.jpg

550D Astro Camera by s3ig3ll, on Flickr

Invest in a 6in "Right-Angle USB2 Extension Cable".  This "Pigtail" can be securely strapped to the Camera Strap Hook just above the I/O Ports Panel, for No-Stress on the delicate USB2-Mini Port.  Or to your Wooden Tripod Base Extension.

Amazon (et al) have them available in whichever set of Ends is best for your Configuration - $3-5.

I choose a Male-A USB2 for the Connector-End, as I can then attach to my 10ft USB2 Cables OR to my USB2 30ft Active Extension Cable (depending on whether I'm Imaging In-the-Field or from my Backyard Pier).

Do ensure that you choose the proper "Left-Hand" or "Right-Hand" Right-Angle Elbow for your Camera (my 550D - pictured here - takes the opposite of my 60D).

Archived