Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

PolarFinder software

zelonisv_bob

Question

Does anyone know if "Telescope Polar Finderscope Software" by Dr. Jason Dale is available but in a safe version?  I tried to run my existing copy of this software and also re-download PolarFinder.exe and my Norton security software not only blocked its download, but Norton removed the version I've in my computer for years!  In case you're not familiar with this software, it showed on graphic reticules on one's computer screen the hourly position of Polaris relative to the north celestial pole as determined by one's local time and location.  Yes, I know about all-star-polar-alignment when using my CGEM mount, but sometimes it's fun and comforting to double-check using other alignment procedures.  Thanks.

Bob Z.  

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 answers to this question

I solved my problem by first deleting every instance of PolarFinder in my computer.  Then, I went into my Norton AV and disabled "Auto-Protect" for as long as it took to return to myastroimages.com and download the PolarFinder.exe file.  Everything worked as before, and then I turned on Norton AV Auto-Protect again.  Excelsior!   \ :D/  Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bob Z.

If you have re-downloaded it, make sure that you get your Norton AV to Scan the Download File before moving to Install it.

Unfortunately, many of the "So-Called Safe Download Sites" have become either "Corrupted" by Malware Providers or simply "Corrupt" by adding their own Adware/Malware Wrappers to other Developers' Installation Files (and simply renaming theirs to the original Filename).

Or, at least allowing Ads on the Download Pages - Ads whose graphics are essentially "Click Here to Download" Images which Mimic or Outshine the actual Original Site "Click Here" Button.

Even Download Server Sites need Money, and (Hey) Anything for a Buck!!

I realize how dangerous downloading can be because of the confusing congestion on many web sites that are results of "Google searches" for a particular topic.  Also, many of those search choices are terribly outdated.  If I don't get any encouraging results on this question from the CGEM users forum, I'll probably just forget the whole idea of using PolarFinder.  Thank you for your advice.

Bob Z.

Thanks for those two most recent suggestions.  Firstly, believe it or not, this troglodyte doesn't have a smart phone, but I have access to a tablet that's Android based.  I've done well by Norton for many years and sometimes run Window's Defender after putting Norton to sleep.

Archived