Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
Sign in to follow this  
admin

BackyardNIKON v1 BETA 01c is ready for download.

Question

YEAH... a step closer :)

*** DOWNLOAD BackyardNIKON v1 BETA 01c ***

http://www.binaryrivers.com/download/setup-BackyardNIKON-v100-BETA01c.exe

Please report your findings using this thread. 

You can refer to this grid for a quick overview.

http://forum.otelescope.com/post/backyardnikon-v1-beta-progress-grid-6857530?pid=1282424740

As with other beta releases, the setup.exe is pre-packaged with its own tester license.

BETA 01c will install side-by-side to other betas, it will not overwrite BETA 01b.

Thank you for all your support in getting this to a production quality.

Guylain & Chris.

Rick,

Its connected via USB with the Nikon supplied USB cable.

Dave

Dave, if you set the camera dial to M, and then try to take a BULB picture in BackyardNIKON with only the USB cable, does it work?  If not it means the D600 requires a serial cable for BULB pictures. 

Try it and let me know please.  At worse you may the to purchase a serial cable (or DSUSB cable).

Guylain

I didn't have the camera on manual focus. It looks like everything is working correctly, although the downloads seem rather slow.

Dave

Dave,

It is not the download that is slow, that usually takes less than 2 to 3 seconds.

Loading the raw image will take about 5 seconds.  Reading the exif data and writing your target data to the exif data will take an additional 2 to 3 seconds.  Creating the histogram 1 second.  It add up to 10 to 12 seconds on average... on older computer this may take up to 20 seconds.

This is not an issue usually because 80% is done in the background and will not stop the next picture to be taken.

Hope this makes sense.

Guylain

Guylain,

It works fine over USB. I am getting an error in the log file but the program appears to be functioning correctly.

Dave

Yes, I know about the error being displayed on screen, I'll address that separatly... but the good thing is that BULB over USB is working for the D610.  YAHOO :)

Guylain

Apr 20, 2014.  Nikon D5100, Beta 1c, Win7/32bit, DSUSB cable and camera cable.  Working very well this evening.  The only area I get an error message is when I test the dither in PHD, it fails.   Don't know if this is supposed to be working in the beta or not?

Paul C

Apr 20, 2014.  Nikon D5100, Beta 1c, Win7/32bit, DSUSB cable and camera cable.  Working very well this evening.  The only area I get an error message is when I test the dither in PHD, it fails.   Don't know if this is supposed to be working in the beta or not?

Paul C

Yes it should work, it is the same as in BackyardEOS. 

Are you sure your followed these instructions, especially the enable server in PHD and accepting all indows firewall warnings?.

http://forum.otelescope.com/post/setting-up-bye-and-phd-for-dithering-6796145?pid=1282413951

Guylain

I followed those instructions.  The only thing I did not see was a Windows firewall warning.  I will check it the next time I set up for imaging.

BackyardNIKON is really a pleasure to use.  It can only get better, thanks Guy.

Paul C

I followed those instructions.  The only thing I did not see was a Windows firewall warning.  I will check it the next time I set up for imaging.

BackyardNIKON is really a pleasure to use.  It can only get better, thanks Guy.

Paul C

If you did not see the firewall warnings it means 1 of 2 things.

1) You accepted them in the past

2) You declined them in the past.

If it is #1 you should be fine.

If it is the #2 you need to go into windows firewall settings and add PHD manually as a rule.

Hope this makes sense.

Guylain

Hi, 

I tried Beta01c with D800.  Live view seems to work OK.  I can take a Bulb exposure via USB, but not series of Bulb exposures.  When I ask to take multiple Bulb exposures, it always stops after the first one is taken.  On the other hand, if I ask to take multiple non-Bulb exposures, it goes well.

I also noticed that it doesn't save images to the camera although I asked to save images to both PC and camera.

These are what I found so far.

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

Hi, 

I tried Beta01c with D800.  Live view seems to work OK.  I can take a Bulb exposure via USB, but not series of Bulb exposures.  When I ask to take multiple Bulb exposures, it always stops after the first one is taken.  On the other hand, if I ask to take multiple non-Bulb exposures, it goes well.

I also noticed that it doesn't save images to the camera although I asked to save images to both PC and camera.

These are what I found so far.

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

Hi Wei-Hao,

Thank you for the feedback on the D800.  Can you please send me the files so I can see why the end bulb sequence seems to be an issue.

The log files are in "My Pictures\BackyardTEMP\logs".

Regards,

Guylain

Well without any memory cards image capture seems to work fine on the D600 - including bulb over usb!

21:23:49  Licensed to BETA TESTER (support@binaryrivers.com)
21:23:55  Nikon drivers initialized.
21:24:29  Attempting to connect camera...
21:24:30  D600 CONNECTED!
21:26:08  Camera SHUTDOWN!
07:58:54  Attempting to connect camera...
07:58:55  D600 CONNECTED!
07:59:08  Imaging session started.
07:59:42  Imaging session completed successfully
07:59:51  Imaging session started.
07:59:54  Imaging session cancelled
07:59:54  [kNkMAIDResult_ValueOutOfBounds] (kNkMAIDCommand_CapStart, 33560, kNkMAIDDataType_GenericPtr, 365947896)
07:59:56  Imaging session cancelled
08:00:06  Imaging session started.
08:00:27  LIGHT_Tv15s_1600iso_--_00123stdev_20140421-08h00m01s794ms.NEF
08:00:49  IMAGE_20140421-08h00m08s108ms.JPG
08:00:57  IMAGE_20140421-08h00m31s747ms.NEF
08:00:59  Imaging session cancelled
08:00:59  [kNkMAIDResult_ValueOutOfBounds] (kNkMAIDCommand_CapStart, 33560, kNkMAIDDataType_GenericPtr, 496888872)
08:01:01  Imaging session cancelled
08:01:13  IMAGE_20140421-08h01m08s350ms.NEF

Here's the full log file......

Thank you, I have updated the progress grid with your info.

I'll have to dig deeper to find the cause of this and fix for sure.  For the time being the work around for the D600 and D610 is to remove the card.

I find it curious that this occurs on the D600 and D610 only... and the fact that they are both in the D6## series leads me to believe there is a special feature/setting in that line up that makes them behave differently.  I hope I can find over time, it's kind of a pain to have to remove the card.

Guylain 

Hi Gyulain,

This is a feature request, for both the Nikon and Canon versions.

I would love to see an option that allows to save image files to PC with file names

identical to those used in-camera.  In other word, just the camera sequential number

in the file name.  I remember this function did not exist on the Canon version when

I was still using Canon.  Today when I tried the Nikon beta, I still do not find such

an option.  

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

If it is the #2 you need to go into windows firewall settings and add PHD manually as a rule.

That's exactly what I did after reading your explanation Guy.  Now just waiting for another clear night to test it.

I do have another question though, in BN, the capture storage settings are PC and SD card.  When I finished imaging, I was surprised to find no images on the SD card?

This is a minor annoyance, since I like to load the DS data into Nikon ViewNX for reviewing and discarding bad images prior to stacking in DSS and processing in PS5.

Is there a fix for this? 

Best...Paul

That's exactly what I did after reading your explanation Guy.  Now just waiting for another clear night to test it.

I do have another question though, in BN, the capture storage settings are PC and SD card.  When I finished imaging, I was surprised to find no images on the SD card?

This is a minor annoyance, since I like to load the DS data into Nikon ViewNX for reviewing and discarding bad images prior to stacking in DSS and processing in PS5.

Is there a fix for this? 

Best...Paul

This is the normal behavior of Nikons when connected to a PC, I say this because I do not control that yet in BYN.  I do nothing to tell it NOT to save to the card so I suspect this is how the SDK works... but I'm not 100% sure yet.  I will focus on those functional issues once we move to BETA 02.

So far I have feedback on 11 out of 22 supported cameras.  I would like to get feedback on at least 4 to 5 more models before wrapping BETA 01.

New rule... please always tell me your camera model when posting issues... otherwise I need to search the thread and that is painfully long <_>

All cameras each have their little intricacies and issues are more often tied to a single model rather than all.  The only way I can make some sense out of an issue is knowing the model number first :)

Guylain

Hi 

just had a quick try with my D90 and the it comes up camera connected. But cant do any think else. Just using the lead that I use for down loading images, do I need a different lead? Will ask some one who uses Backyardeso to have a try. but have you any ideas 

Do you have a memory card with lots of images in your camera when you connect? 

From what others have said, the Nikon API assumes that you want to access those image and so takes quite a bit of time just after connection to catalog the images on the card.  If this is the issue, you can improve this by replacing the memory card with one that is empty.

Hi Gyulain,

This is a feature request, for both the Nikon and Canon versions.

I would love to see an option that allows to save image files to PC with file names

identical to those used in-camera.  In other word, just the camera sequential number

in the file name.  I remember this function did not exist on the Canon version when

I was still using Canon.  Today when I tried the Nikon beta, I still do not find such

an option.  

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

You can change the file name template on the Settings screen to mimic the in-camera file naming.  This has always been so with BYE.  I cannot say for Nikon, because I don't know the builtin naming convention, but you should be able to come close.

You can change the file name template on the Settings screen to mimic the in-camera file naming.  This has always been so with BYE.  I cannot say for Nikon, because I don't know the builtin naming convention, but you should be able to come close.

BackyardNIKON works exactly the same as BackyardEOS for file name templates, it's the same code :)

Guylain

Do you have a memory card with lots of images in your camera when you connect? 

From what others have said, the Nikon API assumes that you want to access those image and so takes quite a bit of time just after connection to catalog the images on the card.  If this is the issue, you can improve this by replacing the memory card with one that is empty.

Hi just to chime in on this.

It looks like that is exactly what is going on. Here is a blurb from the writers of the Nikon wrapper we are using to access the camera :

Why does it take so long for my camera to be recognized?

When you connect your camera to your PC, the Nikon SDK (apparently) have to enumerate all the items on your SD/CF card. If you have a large, slow card and a lot of photos this can take a very long time. The DeviceAdded event will NOT be fired until this internal enumeration process is complete.
The solution is to empty your memory card.
Alternatively, you can remove your memory card altogether. Most features works fine even when a memory card is not available.

-Chris

Hi Guylain

I'm so glad you're doing this, and judging by the initial beta it's going to be a great piece of software.

I have a D5200, and can report that the camera can connect, take pictures with USB-cable (both <30s and >30s in BULB), download images and use LiveView. So all green boxes in the progress grid thread B)

Looking forward to buying the final product :)

/Patrik

Hi Guylain

I'm so glad you're doing this, and judging by the initial beta it's going to be a great piece of software.

I have a D5200, and can report that the camera can connect, take pictures with USB-cable (both <30s and >30s in BULB), download images and use LiveView. So all green boxes in the progress grid thread B)

Looking forward to buying the final product :)

/Patrik

Yeah... I'll update the support grid :)

Guylain

I almost forgot I have a D200.  I just tested it.  It cannot connect.  I attach the log file.  However, I have never used D200 on this computer.  So I don't know whether this is a problem of BYN or D200.  The computer seems to know that the camera is connected.

Another thing is, the installation of the 01c Beta seems to have problem on this computer. I got multiple warnings when BYN started.  The warning message is shown in the attached photo.

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

post-3085776-141893876451_thumb.png 

logfile-[20140426-21h30m14s152]-[2868]-2014-04-26.txt

I almost forgot I have a D200.  I just tested it.  It cannot connect.  I attach the log file.  However, I have never used D200 on this computer.  So I don't know whether this is a problem of BYN or D200.  The computer seems to know that the camera is connected.

Another thing is, the installation of the 01c Beta seems to have problem on this computer. I got multiple warnings when BYN started.  The warning message is shown in the attached photo.

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 8.58.36 PM.png 

Hi Wei-Ha,

This is a Windows/C++ redistributable dll.  Your computer certainly has issues outside BackyardNIKON that needs addressing before I can figure out why the D200 is not connecting <_>

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-performance/msvcp100dll-missing/9a687c31-0619-4ee9-b511-020985e29b5f

Regards,

Guylain

I also looked at the logfile you provided and the Nikon SDK type 8 to 12 did not load... this is due to the MSVCP100.dll missing.  Once this is fixed it will probably work.

Guylain