Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

BYN locked up while taking photos

NightBikes

Question

Please see log file below.  Was only a handful of pictures in when it was stuck processing the photo.  Had to force close the program. Nikon d7200. Windows 11 laptop. BackyardNIKON 2.1.2 Trial Edition

I tried to replicate the issue this morning (inside), but it ran without issue.  All programs and cable connections were the same. 

Thank you

logfile-[20220204-21h03m28s553]-[6620]-2022-02-04.txt

13 answers to this question

5 hours ago, NightBikes said:

Windows Defender was off, but McAfee had it blocked similar to the instructions.  Hopefully that does the trick. Thank you!!

Unfortunately it locked up again tonight.  Windows Defender is still off.  McAfee has it as "incoming and outgoing open to all devices" and net guard is "off" for Binary Rivers Backyard Nikon. Please see attachments and let me know if you have any other ideas to check (I'll email the log).  Twice I checked on it and it wasn't taking pictures, but hadn't locked up (I had it set to take 300 pictures and was nowhere close to that). The third time I checked it was locked up. 

failbyn.jpg

failbyn2.jpg

17 minutes ago, NightBikes said:

Unfortunately it locked up again tonight.  Windows Defender is still off.  McAfee has it as "incoming and outgoing open to all devices" and net guard is "off" for Binary Rivers Backyard Nikon. Please see attachments and let me know if you have any other ideas to check (I'll email the log).  Twice I checked on it and it wasn't taking pictures, but hadn't locked up (I had it set to take 300 pictures and was nowhere close to that). The third time I checked it was locked up. 

failbyn.jpg

failbyn2.jpg

logfile-[20220205-20h11m46s454]-[9952]-2022-02-05.txt

I got the new log file.  You've turned off processor affinity again :(

We're trying to solve this by process of elimination, and this can only be done if we're trying one thing at a time.

Please go to advance settings and press maximum stability (this will enable processor affinity) and set other parameters as well and do not change them. However, if the background worker is not enabled, enable it.  From now on, do not change any of these settings.

Let's go back to the basics.

1. How long is your USB cable?
  2. Are you using a USB hub, is it powered, is it USB2 or 3?
  3. What other devices are plugged in the hub?
  4. Use BYN as a camera device only, do not connect any ASCOM devices to it
  5. Run a sequence.

23 minutes ago, admin said:

I got the new log file.  You've turned off processor affinity again :(

We're trying to solve this by process of elimination, and this can only be done if we're trying one thing at a time.

Please go to advance settings and press maximum stability (this will enable processor affinity) and set other parameters as well and do not change them. However, if the background worker is not enabled, enable it.  From now on, do not change any of these settings.

Let's go back to the basics.

1. How long is your USB cable?
  2. Are you using a USB hub, is it powered, is it USB2 or 3?
  3. What other devices are plugged in the hub?
  4. Use BYN as a camera device only, do not connect any ASCOM devices to it
  5. Run a sequence.

Maximum stability is now enabled with background worker- done.

1. USB Cable is 6 ft (Amazon)

2. USB Hub 3.0 connected by USB C to the computer (Amazon)

3. ZWO ASI120 mini is also connected to the Hub. Nothing else is connected to the hub.

4. So after plate solving, disconnect the ASCOM Device Hub Telescope? That is the only ASCOM connection to/from BYN.

5.  Ran a few tests. Even with firewalls completely turned off (not selective to just BYN), it still got hung up after a few pictures. I changed from using the USB hub to directly into a USB 3.0 port on the computer.  It worked fine for this test.  So I think it might be related to my USB hub. 

Is the USB hub powered? If not, then it gets power from the PC through the USB connection between the PC and the hub. That is limited to 250ma total shared by the guide camera and the imaging camera. A properly designed, powered hub would provide 250ma to each device.

I believe that Nikon directs that any connection between the computer and the camera be a direct, wired connection (no hub). That said lots of people are probably using hubs to allow more distance between the PC and the camera.

Why are you using ASCOM Device Hub for the telescope?

Traffic through the hub to BYN from the telescope should be insignificant compared to the total USB3 bandwidth. That said, disconnecting it once the scope is centered should not pose any problems. On the other side of that is that you need to have both BYN and the telescope connected to plate solve, so if that works it should still work when imaging.

As Guylain said, change one thing at a time. I would wait until everything else has been tested and then leave BYN connected to the telescope as your last test.

Forget my last post, I deleted it after re-reading what you had done in your last post.

Ok, so it looks like the hub may be the issue.

The hub in your link is a non-powered hub.  I suspect it may be...

1. starving power with the ASI120 pulling some power from the hub
  2. the short USB lead is not of good quality or has deteriorated over time.

13 hours ago, admin said:

Forget my last post, I deleted it after re-reading what you had done in your last post.

Ok, so it looks like the hub may be the issue.

The hub in your link is a non-powered hub.  I suspect it may be...

1. starving power with the ASI120 pulling some power from the hub
  2. the short USB lead is not of good quality or has deteriorated over time.

I'm sorry to report the USB hub is not the issue. I have the DSLR plugged directly into the laptop.  And it's locked up twice now.  Windows Defender Firewall and McAfee firewall were both turned off prior to imaging.  It keeps locking up with the busy signal. Any other suggestions?  

Edit- It worked all night last night.  No issues.  Maybe the firewall took a few minutes to turn off?  I don't know, the good thing is that it all worked.    The other two times it locked up in about 6 photos.  Thanks again!

logfile-[20220206-19h43m44s763]-[13176]-2022-02-06.txt logfile-[20220206-19h43m47s656]-backgroundworker-[14000]-2022-02-06.txt

Edited by NightBikes
Updated- it worked! :)