Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Help - could not get me key/identifier to work to allow me to use program

Astroboy1

Question

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

25 answers to this question

Scroll to the top of this web page. Click on "My Purchases" in the blue menu bar. When the menu drops down, click on Orders to see your key(s). Swipe the mouse across your permanent license key and press Ctrl+C to copy the key characters into the Windows Clipboard.

Bring up BYE/BYN. Click on the padlock button at the right end of the top window bar. Then click on the "Edit license..." button. Click in the Licence Key box and press Ctrl+V to paste the license key. Type  your username into the Identifier text box and click Validate.

Hi Astrobuy1,

You are not entering the key properly. Your key does work, I just tested it, and it validated for me.

Your key and identifier are available here on the website under "My Purchases -> Orders" from the blue main menu at the top of this page.

1. Make sure you download the latest version, currently 3.2.2
  2. Cut&paste your key from "My Purchases -> Orders"

Keep us posted.

I am so sorry to keep this thread going.  I have downloaded the correct software (3.2.2) several times. I can see that it is correct.  See picture below.   I have cut and pasted the key and identifier as you said.  Still shows "not found".  I am running a Windows 10 64 bit PC.  I paste the key at the beginning at the left with cursor, it takes just fine and than I paste the identifier the same way.

image.png.32f4fccff3beaa61cf5b473b5bfa43d5.png

First, you are correct to not post your key, as part of your screenshot, to this forum or in any other public forum or list.

From your description you are following the correct procedure, and as admin has said, your key is valid.

This happens to new users and is almost ALWAYS due to the information being entered incorrectly. This is confirmed since admin is able to validate your key and identifier. So either the key is incorrect, or the identifier is incorrect.

After pasting your key into the dialog you need to look at the key, especially to make sure that you have not accidentally pasted extra characters, even blanks, into the License Key field, and that you have entered your username with the correct casing into the Identifier field.

If you are still unable to validate your information, you may need to set up a time that you can share your system with Admin to watch you enter the information and advise you how to perform it correctly.

1 hour ago, Astroboy1 said:

I believe I have tried every possible combination with no luck.  Do you have my email address?  Send me an email, and I will send you my phone number.

You email address is irrelevant, it's your identifier "Astroboy1" with a capital "A" that matters.  Your key works, I have tested it and can confirm it is working.  

One other possibility is that your license is for BYN, but you are trying to load it into BYE. The license is keyed to the product so a BYE license will only work for BYE. Check My Purchases | Orders again to verify that the license key is for BYE.

The owners/authors/admins have day jobs, so please be a bit more patient.

3 hours ago, Astroboy1 said:

Meaning I tried it the way you wanted, typed it free hand, download program again etc.   Will you be contacting me?  We can do it over teamviewer to see what is happening on my end

What do you mean will I be contacting you?  We are speaking right now!

Your key + identifier works, I tried it, and it validated the first time. 

sorry you need to be clearer in your responses.  I took at as being someone would be contacting me via phone.

So if you say everything is working on your end but not mine- is there a solution?  Who is Guylain?  I have received no further help.

I am very interested in the product but what is the next step?

Guylain is the owner of O'Telescope, the lead developer of BYE and BYN, and the admin on this forum.

Literally everyone else who has had a problem registering their license key is able to do so when they use copy and paste their key from the web site into BYE or BYN, rather than manually typing in their key string. This probably leads Guylain to think that you are doing something wrong to be unable to register yours.

The important steps are these:

1. Be sure that the product that you are trying to activate the license for is the same product that you got the key for
  2. Make sure that you have a working Internet connection from the PC that you are trying to register the software on.
  3. Use copy/paste to transfer the license key from the web site to the Validation dialog rather than manually typing in the key since it is easy to mistake a 1 for an l or a 0 for the letter O.
  4. Make sure that you do not copy any leading or trailing blanks and that you have pasted the full key
  5. Enter your O'Telescope username as the Identifier, making sure to capitalize it correctly. In your case, "Astroboy1", with an uppercase A, is your Identifier.

I understand that you have tried several times to register your license but each time it failed. Do you always get the same error message? It may help to post a screenshot of the error, as long as it does not show your license key.

Are you in the US or Canada? Are you on a corporate or university network? Is it possible that your internet security is blocking you from accessing O'Telescope's servers during the validation process?

Also, a Trial License requires a working Internet connection each time you start BYE/BYN. This is not true with a purchased license. The software must check that your 30-day license has not expired.  The developers had to add this test because some unscrupulous users tried to extend their Trial license by adjusting the system date of their PC. Blame them, not the developers who have been forced to protect their intellectual property.

You should get the software working and test as much as you can at home, at the kitchen table with your camera, BYE, and the PC. Once you are sure that the software is working as advertised, then purchase a permanent license key. That way when you go to a dark sky site with no internet connection, the software will still work. Also once you have been issued a permanent license key, there is no refund possible since you have the key and no way to return it.

Also, if it fails each time and you are doing the exact same steps, then perhaps your steps are incorrect in some way. It may be helpful to describe, in detail, the steps that you are performing and what you see, including a screenshot of any error message, without showing your key.

As for me, if you are curious, I am a user, like yourself. I have no relationship O'Telescope besides being a customer. I purchased BYE in 2011 after seeing a product presentation at NEAF and I purchased an upgrade to the Premium license in 2015 when the Premium license was first introduced. I regularly try to help new users here on these Support forums. My name is Rick, I am a retired software developer, and I live in Arizona. I am also a member of the ASCOM Core Team and provide support for ASCOM Users and Developers, as well.

Hi Rick,

I just gave up on my laptop trying to get the key working.

I switched over to my desktop computer and everything took fine.  Now I can at least try it on my camera and learn what the functions of the program are

I did the exact steps the same way on my laptop.   I just does not work.  I hope that I can you license of different computers?

You question, as posed, did not make sense. However I think that you are asking if you can run BYE on multiple computers with a single license key.

The answer is a qualified Yes. It is OK as long as you don't run multiple copies of BYE on multiple computers at the same time.

I hope that is what you were asking.

Sorry- multitasking between 3 computers.

Yes,  you answered my question.  I can use it on different computers as long as I don't have multiple copies running at the same time.  Thank You. 

I find it odd that I can not seem to get the key to work on my laptop.  It is connected to the internet and I cut and paste from the order as instructed but the message indicated "not found".