Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Nikon D7500 not recognised

PhilBlack

Question

Hi, new trial user of BYNikon. Downloaded, installed and registered software no problems. However cannot get Nikon D7500 camera recognised at all. Windows 10 PC can see the camera attached and Digicam Control sees and operates camera with no issues. Looking at log file it says error loading MD3 file and links to file name/location with text suggesting to download from Nikon SDK resource. However, looking in the file location the correct file for my camera appears to be there? so my question is the file corrupt in case should I just redownload and re-install or is there another problem with the file. My camera firmware is version 1.10 and the software is vers 2.1.2 trial

Thanks for your help

12 answers to this question

If the installer was corrupt, then it would not actually be able to install anything, so re-downloading the installer is not necessary. If you re-install BYN, remove the current installation and install it again, but to a different folder.

Also make sure that the D7500's WiFi is disabled in the camera's menus and that no other applications, like Digicam Control, are running when you start BYN.

38 minutes ago, PhilBlack said:

Hi, new trial user of BYNikon. Downloaded, installed and registered software no problems. However cannot get Nikon D7500 camera recognised at all. Windows 10 PC can see the camera attached and Digicam Control sees and operates camera with no issues. Looking at log file it says error loading MD3 file and links to file name/location with text suggesting to download from Nikon SDK resource. However, looking in the file location the correct file for my camera appears to be there? so my question is the file corrupt in case should I just redownload and re-install or is there another problem with the file. My camera firmware is version 1.10 and the software is vers 2.1.2 trial

Thanks for your help

If the MD3 file is not loading you do not have the C++ Redistributable installed on your computer.  You need to install those.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

You need to install the x86 (32 bits version)

Regards,

Ok, have installed the C++ Redistributable 2015-19 (x86) which is the latest shown, but get the same error. Wifi on camera was already turned off and have uninstalled Digicam Control, removed SD card. I noticed that I already had C++ 2010 version and that the 2012 and 2013 versions appeared to install yesterday, presumably when I installed BYNikon. I also see that I have (x64) versions of the redistributable already installed, could these be  causing a conflict?

Extract from log file

2021-08-16 10:14:07,674 [Main] INFO  - -----------------------------------
2021-08-16 10:14:07,675 [Main] INFO  - Application state changed: 'Connecting'
2021-08-16 10:14:10,519 [Main] DEBUG - ButtonPlus_MouseClick(btnCam1 = 'For most models generaly manufactured after 2016, or older models with recent 2016 firmware update (DEFAULT)')
2021-08-16 10:14:12,454 [Main] DEBUG - ButtonPlus_MouseClick(buttonPlus35 = 'D7500')
2021-08-16 10:14:12,468 [Main] INFO  - Attempting to connect camera...
2021-08-16 10:14:12,469 [Main] INFO  - Camera action fired: 'MaestroChoose'
2021-08-16 10:14:12,475 [Main] DEBUG - Nikon drivers 'Type0021_D7500/C:\Program Files (x86)\BackyardNIKONv2.1\Nikon\Type0021_D7500\Type0021.md3' is loading...
2021-08-16 10:14:12,484 [Main] ERROR - Error loading Nikon driver file : 'Type0021_D7500/C:\Program Files (x86)\BackyardNIKONv2.1\Nikon\Type0021_D7500\Type0021.md3'
2021-08-16 10:14:12,486 [Main] ERROR - LoadLibrary failed to load MD3 file: C:\Program Files (x86)\BackyardNIKONv2.1\Nikon\Type0021_D7500\Type0021.md3. Download the MD3 file for your device on Nikons SDK website: https://sdk.nikonimaging.com/apply/
2021-08-16 10:14:12,486 [Main] ERROR -    at BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.Wrapper.NikonMd3..ctor(String md3File, String md3EntryPoint)
   at BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.Wrapper.NikonManager..ctor(String md3File, String md3EntryPoint, SynchronizationContext context)
   at BinaryRivers.Camera.Nikon.NikonCameraManager.LoadManagers(String dir)
2021-08-16 10:14:20,002 [Main] INFO  - Camera Not Found!  Make sure it's connected to the PC and turned ON :)
2021-08-16 10:14:20,008 [Main] INFO  - Camera state changed: 'Disconnected'
2021-08-16 10:14:20,176 [Main] INFO  - -----------------------------------

Any further thoughts?

Cheers Phil

No conflict between x86 and x64.

No able to load the MD3 file (that is the Nikon SKD) is related to your computer environment. This is not related to your camera/sd card or anything else like this.  This is 100% due to the fact that Windows is not loading the Nikon MD3 file at the computer/operating system level.

Try uninstalling BYE and re-installing it in a different folder; see if this makes a difference.

Thanks for your quick responses.

Tried re-installing in a different folder, also running as administer, but still doesn't detect camera. I noticed that under device manager the camera appears with a very old Windows driver, I have Nikon software installed on the PC, should it be finding and installing a Nikon driver. Tried uninstalling device and reconnecting but still loads old Windows driver.

Thanks

Forget all about that for now.  The MD3 file is not loading, your problem is that and until it loads, there is nothing else worth trying to fix or troubleshoot.

Anti-virus maybe? Try disabling it momentarily while loading BYN and connecting your camera.

Ok, looks like I have sorted this. Obviously not tested everything yet but camera loads and I can see all relevant data, adjust settings, take photos, focus camera and capture video. Tried re-installing again after uninstalling all current installed C++ (x86) versions still no change. Following on from something I had seen whilst searching for answers, I decided to download the relevant SKD and DLL directly from the Nikon site, bit of a faff but got there in the end. Compared them to those in the BYNikon D7500 directory and both files had different sizes although same file names. Replaced the BYNikon version with the new Nikon version and everything so far works.

I wonder if BYNikon works with the D7500 with camera firmware vers 1.00 and 1.01 but not with the latest vers 1.10

Thanks for your help and I look forward to proper testing of the functions now, that's if the clouds ever clear here in the UK.

38 minutes ago, PhilBlack said:

Ok, looks like I have sorted this. Obviously not tested everything yet but camera loads and I can see all relevant data, adjust settings, take photos, focus camera and capture video. Tried re-installing again after uninstalling all current installed C++ (x86) versions still no change. Following on from something I had seen whilst searching for answers, I decided to download the relevant SKD and DLL directly from the Nikon site, bit of a faff but got there in the end. Compared them to those in the BYNikon D7500 directory and both files had different sizes although same file names. Replaced the BYNikon version with the new Nikon version and everything so far works.

I wonder if BYNikon works with the D7500 with camera firmware vers 1.00 and 1.01 but not with the latest vers 1.10

Thanks for your help and I look forward to proper testing of the functions now, that's if the clouds ever clear here in the UK.

Really?  I download the latest and that is was I usually package with BYN installer.

Please send me those SDK files you downloaded at support@otelescope.com.  Do you remember the version you downloaded from the Nikon website?

Yes really,

I've tried to send an email with the files but it was blocked by my email server (Gmail), tried the whole zip file and then just the two files.

The two files were extracted from the SDK zip file I downloaded today from the Nikon site. Unfortunately the process to receive the Nikon SDK files involves receiving an email link which appears to be single use only so I can't go back and check version numbers/dates but it was the newest for the D7500

No changes made to my PC, re-installed BYN to another new folder, checked the C++ files had been loaded automatically, which they had, as before. Tried again but no luck, so swopped the files for those above and everything works.

Viewing properties it looks like the new Nikon files were created in Mar 2020 and those in current BYN are dated Dec 2019?

I will see if I can upload the files to Drive and email you a link if that is succesful

Hope this helps

Cheers Phil