Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Shutter release cable for Nikon D80

JonSlater

Question

Does anyone know where I can get a serial cable for a Nikon D80? I want to be able to use Backyard Nikon for exposures of longer than 30 seconds but I can't control bulb mode from USB so I need a serial cable, i.e. one end of the cable goes into the cameras shutter release port and the other end is USB and connects to my laptop. Any help as to where I can buy such a cable would be amazing.

Kind regards,

Jon.

22 answers to this question

Jon,

Scroll to the bottom of this page and under the BackyardNikon column, select the Supported cameras link.

You will see two things. First you will see that the Nikon D80 is listed as "Not Supported" by BYN. Second, just above the table is a link to Shoestring Astronomy's web site where they sell shutter control cables.

Obviously, because the camera is not supported, you will probably not need the serial cable. I mention it in case someone else has the same question regarding a cable for their camera.

The D80 was released in 2006.... a serial cable may cost more than the actual value of the camera.  For a bit more $ you may be able to get a second hand body D5300.... which does not require serial cable and has live view.  Just a thought before you sink money to try to work things out with the D80, which is not supported as per post above.

Regards,

18 hours ago, astroman133 said:

Jon,

Scroll to the bottom of this page and under the BackyardNikon column, select the Supported cameras link.

You will see two things. First you will see that the Nikon D80 is listed as "Not Supported" by BYN. Second, just above the table is a link to Shoestring Astronomy's web site where they sell shutter control cables.

Obviously, because the camera is not supported, you will probably not need the serial cable. I mention it in case someone else has the same question regarding a cable for their camera.

Thankyou. I was not aware of that when purchased. In that case, I do have a Canon EOS100D (which is supported) is it possible to switch my license to BackyardEOS?

Kind regards,

Jon.

They are sold as separate product.  What I have done in the past is give 30% off on the purchase of the premium edition.  Let me know if that is of interest to you and I'll send you a coupon code.

Regards,

that's interesting because way back in jan '20 I got the trial edition of backyard nikon to see if it would work with my Nikon D80 and it did so (although it did crash sometimes) i went ahead and purchased the premium edition. I conversed with one of your colleagues at the time and they said it worked with the D80 except that it needed to be run in compatibility mode. (The D80 option is even there in the menus of the software!!!!) At the time, the "Supported Cameras" link was not on your website. This seems highly unfair that I can't switch to the EOS version. 

There is a difference between 'it connects' and 'it is supported'.

I removed the D40 to D80 from the supported matrix in 2019 (could be 2020).  It's a 16-year-old camera and officially the SDK only supported them up to Windows Vista.

I make no excuse for selling them as a separate product. Others sell you a subscription where you have to pay a yearly fee, I do not.

They each require separate TLC to maintain and upkeep, now counting the initial time investment (well beyond 5000+ hours since inception).

I appreciate they are sold as a separate product and that they are developed separately. The problem is the version of the software I was sold has the D80 option (see image) but it doesn't support "Bulb" i.e. fully functioning. I asked about the D80 in my email when I trialled it and was told it would work, but only now do I know it only works partially, and you have since put on your website that the D80 is not supported at all, which is fine. All I am asking is to switch my license to EOS.

D80.png

Still not supported... and the rationale is that Nikon stopped its support with Windows Vista.  I can't support something that the manufacture stopped supporting 10+ years ago.

It is still in that application because the SDK still allows connectivity... but I no longer support them.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Jon,

The threads that you started last year showed your investigations into getting your D80 to work with BYN. Apparently you abandoned your thread from the Feb-Mar 2020 timeline. Admin asked you a question that you never replied to.

Then in September, you indicated that you got it working and asked about where to get a shutter control cable. That info was provided to you at that time. And then again.

I re-read the threads and did not see anywhere where you were told that the BYN would work with the D80, just things to try.

BTW, the Supported Cameras table for BYN has been on the web site since BYN was released. If you read your old thread you will see where Admin told you that he had moved the D80 to Not Supported status. I believe that this was while you were still using a Trial license.

Still sorting out how to move forward is between you and Guylain.

They are sold as separate products, that is not going to change.

If you want BYE you need to purchase a copy.  What I have done in the past is offer a 30% discount, and I'm extending the same courtesy.  Let me know, and I will create a store coupon for you to use at checkout.

BTW, you can still use your D80 if it connects, I haven't removed any code towards it and do not plan to.... but because Nikon stopped supporting it after Vista I'm unable to provide any support anymore.... but if it works for you and does connect, you certainly can continue to use it with your D80.

Regards,

we are going round in circles here and you seem unwilling to assist. I am sure you are able to stop the license key I have for the Nikon from being used aren't you? Is that not possible? I purchased it for the Nikon D80 in May (after trialling it) and you told me much later in September that it was no longer supported. Normally you get 12 months from the date of purchase and if the product is defective or not fit for purpose you can get a full refund. All I'm asking is to switch to using EOS.

Jon,

I am not affiliated with O'Telescope. I am a user just like you, but I have used BYE since 2010.

The license is yours. You have it. It cannot be disabled or invalidated. You also have the software. There is no way for O'Telescope to prevent you from using what you have purchased and currently have in your possession.

You have said that you are able to connect BYN with your camera, so it appears that it works for you. I believe that the D80 was removed from the supported list due to a combination of factors. Some were reported by users and also due to Nikon dropping support for that model.

It is up to you to determine fitness of purpose. The authors give you a 30-day free trial period to determine this. The End User License Agreement says nothing about a 12 month warranty period. You tested the software with the Trial license and then purchased a permanent license. I don't understand why you cannot purchase a shutter control cable and continue to use the software that you have. You have not explained this.

You have said that the camera works with BYN so fitness of purpose does not seem to be an issue. 

Expecting to be able to swap BYN for BYE is like trying to get Microsoft to let you replace Word with Excel, when they are separate products with different purposes and capabilities; and with different licenses.

In any case,  a BYE license is ridiculously inexpensive, especially with the discount price offered by Guylain.

2 hours ago, JonSlater said:

we are going round in circles here and you seem unwilling to assist. I am sure you are able to stop the license key I have for the Nikon from being used aren't you? Is that not possible? I purchased it for the Nikon D80 in May (after trialling it) and you told me much later in September that it was no longer supported. Normally you get 12 months from the date of purchase and if the product is defective or not fit for purpose you can get a full refund. All I'm asking is to switch to using EOS.

We are not going in circle, I remain firm on the fact that they are 2 separate products, this has been the case since inception 7 years ago.  If you want BackyardEOS you need to purchase it.  I can and will offer a 30% discount.... but I will NOT transfer a license from one to another. 

You are in no different position than someone who has been using a camera that works with on old version of BYN but is removed from support by a newer version because the camera maker dropped support. Camera makers drop support for old models every year. Independent software developers are at their mercy, as are end users.