Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Nikon D90 to RS232 pin out or links

lostbit

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

11 answers to this question

You may have ordered too quickly. Shoestring Astronomy offers a pre-made shutter control cable solution for the D90. It is compatible with BYN.

Because you are a new poster here, you should know that the shutter control cable is only used to open and close the shutter for long exposures. All other operations need a regular USB cable to be connected between the camera and the PC, in parallel to the shutter control cable.

Thanks Rick, I did read before buying EOSnikon I could just use the USB for short exposures less

than 30 seconds. I have not been able to get that to work. I do plan on making a shuter release

setup in the near future. Ill have to play with that some more. I did find some other resources for

making the cable interface from rs232 to nikon DC2.

Thank You

Harry

OK update, I can take a photo only after I do a focus exposure. I can not

get the photo to work in the image tab. Looks like camera busy some times

other times just beeps.  Also the image I do shoot under the focus tab

is not saved to disk, should it be saved?

Camera Nikon D90, basic USB cable Camera set to 1 second manual mode.

What is strange I tried NINA and that takes the shot fine but does not download

to file! Bought BYN but I am still stuck. 

There is a BYN setting that controls whether Snap images on Frame & Focus are saved to the hard drive.

Are you testing with a lens? Make sure that the lens is in Manual Focus mode.

You should have worked through these "starter" issues while using the free Trial license. The authors have said that there are no refunds once a purchased license has been issued.

It is possible to shoot a 1 second exposure with either Tv or BULB settings. Be sure NOT use Bulb with the D90 until you have a shutter control cable.

1 hour ago, lostbit said:

OK update, I can take a photo only after I do a focus exposure. I can not

get the photo to work in the image tab. Looks like camera busy some times

other times just beeps.  Also the image I do shoot under the focus tab

is not saved to disk, should it be saved?

Camera Nikon D90, basic USB cable Camera set to 1 second manual mode.

What is strange I tried NINA and that takes the shot fine but does not download

to file! Bought BYN but I am still stuck. 

If you have a lens, set it to manual focus.... auto ficus does nto work in the dark anyways.

The default in image tab is BULB, be sure to change that to one of the shutter TV values until you get your DSUSB cable.

As mentioned above, snap images in Frame&Focus are not saved by default.  Go to settings and toggle that option on, and they should save after that.

Hello everyone, I had some of the items to make my own serial connection, did not want

to pay pay for a full solution. I could not get the  demo to work always said the key was invaled.

Good news I build the serial connection and it works fine. I now see saved images, now waiting

for a night no clouds and or rain or snow. 

Thank all for input.

Good day again, back to my eos nikon setup, I had only short RTS trigger over USB serial port.

Windows shows the adapter as com 3, so in BYN I select com 3. Today no voltage on any pins

from the rs232 adapter. Do I need an ascom driver for BYN to use com 3?

Thanks all

Harry