Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Trouble using 5x planetary zoom

crsthomas

Question

Hi there,

I'm using version 3.2.0 Backyard EOS, with a canon 200d mii (Rebel SL3, EOS 250D or Kiss X10 depending on the area of the world).

When i am in Planetary mode, and click on the 5x zoom, i get the loading symbol on my mouse cursor, and then nothing happens.

Is this something my camera does not support or another issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

7 answers to this question

There was a long thread about this in the Backyard EOS forum which is where questions and issues with BYE should be posted.

There was a LiveView bug with the 250D but it was supposedly fixed in August. This bug was due to the 250D behaving differently from other models. It caused an Err 70 error to be reported.

Please be sure that you are using version 3.2.0 that was released in August 2020. If you still have the issue, please post in the BYE Forum.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to be so promptly. 

I have just downloaded the pre release and am still experiencing the same issue.
I click the 5x button, the computer "thinks" then does nothing. I am assuming I should definitely notice a difference in the view when it is working?

I have tried moving the zoom box around.

Any Suggestions?

log files attached - 176kb file is the new v3.2.1 - 264kb file is off the v3.2.0

Thanks

logfile-[20201110-17h36m31s643]-[13840]-2020-11-10.txt logfile-[20201101-21h06m53s899]-[11624]-2020-11-01.txt

The camera has a setting for LiveViewFocusMode. Change the setting from Face+Tracking to Live 1-point AF.

The problem is that the camera is trying to autofocus but cannot and so LiveView never starts.

I would also say that you would never shoot Planetary videos with a lens, so your test conditions are not realistic. You really need a telescope with a focal length of 4 meters or greater.

Thanks for the quick response astroman.

I had seen the LiveViewFocusMode in other posts and had a quick look through my settings for that and couldnt find it.

The lens was for a quick test, rather than setting up the telescope. Unfortunately ive had cloudy skies for a while..

Will try find the setting and let you know how i get on.

Thanks again