Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
PLEASE READ ==> If you get a StructureMap or EdsInitializeSDK() error please RE-INSTALL before posting in the forum <==
Carlesa25

Error - Processor affinity assignment

Question

Rfa: BackYardEOS 3.2 + Windows10 Pro + INTEL i7 Processor + 8 Gb RAM.

Processor affinity assignment.

When executing the program especially during the download of the photo by USB it crashes, if it is not in the first photo in one of the immediately following ones.
The problem is aggravated if BackYardEos-Camera 2 is running simultaneously. Working with two Canon EOS cameras.

Description: Processor tuning is always assigned to CPU 0 (only one CPU out of 7 available) for both the "BackYardEOS 3.2-Camera 1" process and "OTelescope.BackgroundWorker.Start.exe" and BackYardEOS3.2-Camera 2 and the OTelescope.BackgroundWorker.Start process (Camera 1 and Camera2) are also assigned to the same CPU 0.

If I manually proceed to modify the processor assignment and change it to "No Affinity" (all CPUs available) BakYardEOS 3.2 works perfectly for both cameras.

Unfortunately this situation does not always repeat itself, on many occasions BackYardEOS 3.2 starts without affinity, that is to say all available CPUs without problem, on the contrary, the process "OTelescope.BackgroundWorker.Start.exe" always runs assigned to CPU 0.

9 answers to this question

Do not set processor affinity and do not use the background worker.

This will let windows handle it natively.

Only use processor affinity and/or the background working in you have issues.... and only enable one at a time.

BTW, USB crash is due to the wire being over saturated with data and both options above won't to address any of that.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Do not set processor affinity and do not use the background worker.

This will let windows handle it natively.

Only use processor affinity and/or the background working in you have issues.... and only enable one at a time.

BTW, USB crash is due to the wire being over saturated with data and both options above won't to address any of that.

Hi, thank you for you answer.
What I can tell you is that all this problem with the previous version did not exist, I have worked for a long time with two canon cameras without any problem.
If it worked before and now it doesn't and the rest of the equipment, hardware, software etc ... is the same, the cause I think is in the new version of BackYardEOS.
I have never had a problem with USB traffic using a USB3 powered hub. Regards.

Define USB crashes.  Do you get an error?  

What do you mean on occasion BackYardEOS 3.2 starts without affinity.  You either have set processor affinity in advance settings or you have not.

For clarification, if you have process affinity set BYE will use a single CPU, otherwise Windows will distribute the load to all cores.  It's is either on or off, no in-between.  

I've re-read your initial post and this caught my attention "The problem is aggravated if BackYardEos-Camera 2 is running simultaneously. Working with two Canon EOS cameras".

This is the fist clue that the problem may actually be data saturation on the wire because there is absolutely no cross threads between these 2 windows process, BYE1 and BYE2.

Humor me for a second. Downgrade to a previous version you said it was working, use the same equipment/setup and the absolute same workflow. Does it still work.

2 minutes ago, astroman133 said:

So, when BYE's Processor Affinity setting is unchecked, Windows decides which processors to use.

Yes, the OS will assign a thread form the thread pool for anything that spawns a new thread.

8 hours ago, admin said:

Define USB crashes.  Do you get an error?  

What do you mean on occasion BackYardEOS 3.2 starts without affinity.  You either have set processor affinity in advance settings or you have not.

For clarification, if you have process affinity set BYE will use a single CPU, otherwise Windows will distribute the load to all cores.  It's is either on or off, no in-between.  

Thanks for the prompt response.
When a photo is downloaded, it is blocked, the entire previous process of taking, focusing etc ... has worked perfectly.
It is not fixed ... sometimes it is the first photo and in others at the end of a sequence of 6 shots for example.
I do not have any affinity assignment system predefined for BackyarEos or for any other process.
I have simply seen that BackYarEOS and OTelescope.BackgroundWorker.Start.exe always start with the allocation of a single processor and it is not usually normal in the operation of a program.
But I have changed the assignment to all CPUs and the hang problem during USB download persists.
As you suggest, I will reinstall the previous version and see if the problem persists or is fixed.

Hello: I have proceeded to uninstall the program clean all possible remains and config. then I have reinstalled the program (the latest version) and the first impression is that there has been an improvement, there is no longer any CPU affinity assignment, we will see if it has been the solution, I will report. Regards.