Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

BYE and Celestron 9.25

rkay12

Question

OK, newbie question here but I couldn't find the exact answer here.  [I probably didn't look hard enough].    I can  connect my laptop with BackyardEOS for Canon EOS 550D.  It works well for me and really like the features and images I've got so far.  Amazing help with alignment.   I just added a Celestron Focus Motor and since then I've had problems.   I downloaded the ASCOM driver for Celestron.   EOS works fine with the camera but when I click on the Telescope check mark it cannot to the telescope at all, let alone the focuser.  Same with the setting gear in that section.   When I do try, the program eventually crashes and I have to reboot to start all over. The Celestron Focus Utility connects, and can use that to focus as well as the focuser menu on the hand control.  CPWI wont connect to the telescope at all now.   Is there something I need to do more? or not do?   BYE works well without connecting the telescope.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

You haven't indicated which Version of BYE nor which Edition you have.

The ASCOM Focuser control is a Premium Edition feature.   (It is also available for 30-day Trial Edition.)

I'm not sure about any complication related to CPWI and the BYE ASCOM Connections, but the ASCOM Driver for Celestron should include an ASCOM Hub function which allows multiple Applications to connect to the ASCOM Layer at the same time.

It would be helpful to know more about your setup:

1) which version if BYE, like 3.1.18 or 3.2.0 are you using?

2) which Celestron mount (AVX, CPC, CGX, CGEM II, Nexstar)?

3) which ASCOM driver? There are a couple of different drivers for Celestron mounts. One is the Unified Celestron driver that you can download from the ASCOM web site. The other is the CPWI driver that you can download from Celestron. It may make a difference as to which driver you are using.

4) Is the focuser connected directly to the PC, or is it cabled to the mount?

The Telescope check mark button is a connect/disconnect button. The Gear button is for configuration. You must configure the driver before you attempt to connect. Are you sure that you have selected the correct COM port for communication with the mount?

I can help here, but I believe that your question is better posed on the ASCOM-Talk forum on Groups.io.

Sorry for the lack of information.   I have BYE 3.2 premium.  Celestron  mount is AVX, with a 9.25 Edge HD.    I'll have to check on the driver,   I downloaded it from Celestron.   The focuser is directly connected to the mount via cable.  

I just downloaded the Ascom Platform  6.5 dated 2020 and the driver for Celestron 6.1.7.350.  Wont know until if that helps till i set it up again.  

thank you for your help.  I will check on the ascom-talk forum

Richard

Edited by rkay12
updated info