Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Camera and Plan Center Modes Must Match

kaymann

Question

Canon 60D firmware 1.1.2

BackyardEOS 3.1.18 Premium Edition

Greetings, I own a 60D just like in your 2 hour video. I can see you keep the camera in M manual mode but use the planner to set the drop down for bulb to what ever time you want. In you video the 60D/BEOS takes it all in stride. When I do exactly what you did I get an error and I am told to turn my 60D to B bulb mode and BEOS is basically a brick (dashed timer signal blinks but abort does nothing). If I go to the camera and then change the mode I still have to red X BEOS to shut it down and start over. Selecting Program or anything other than the Camera Mode setting from the drop down also Bricks BEOS, If I start the camera in B bulb going to manual in the planner also bricks the BEOS. In others match the camera mode and planner drop down it bricks. So the planner can only hold one mode or it will not execute that is perfect as at least it did not brick on me. So I totally understand allowing me to select a different mode than the cameras but instead of briciking up could BEOS tell me to change mode on the camera first before the session locks up? So ultimately I now understand I cannot mix and match B or M  in my planner unless I disable the wrong mode until I go outside to the telescope and physically changing the mode dial FIRST.

If all of the above is true: A program change stopping me from bricking the BEOS program until shut down and restart would be fantastic. Also if true I am sorry for the user error and potentially giving someone reservations about BEOS when in actuality I love the program!

If the above is false and I should be able to have my camera in M manual and still select B bulb (or vice a versa) what am I doing wrong. I have cleared the cache and restarted several times with the same results.

BTW Every time you close the program like described above a new background process called "BinaryRivers.BackyardEOS.Start" for each time you do it, is left behind.

I absolutely love BEOS and it's integration with PHD2, dithering, and AstroTortilla. BEOS tying everything together in a fantastic interface is remarkable - thank you.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Randall

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

The capture plan center is not a *live* representation, it's an all in plan and therefore it shows all possible value.

The 60D is actually one of the worst camera for this because of (1) it has a B dial mode separate from the M dial mode and (2) most camera with a B and M dial mode allows to change the mode programatically even if the physical dial is set differently.  Such is the case with the 40D, but NOT the 60D sadly.

Because of item #2, on the 60D, you need to physically turn the knob on the camera. This is a physical limitation of the 60D.

I forgot the second part to your question.

The BinaryRivers.BackyardEOS.Start is a process used to push some of the work under a separate process.  This is optional.  If is turned off by default so you must have turned it on in the past. Goto Settings -> Advance Settings and you can turn of the background process.  The app will still work the same and in most cases users don't even see the difference.

The camera used in the 2 hour video demo of BYE on this site uses the EOS Rebel Xs (1000D), not the 60D. The Xs does not have a BULB setting on the rotary dial as the 60D does. This allows an Xs user to put the dial in Manual and shoot both BULB and Tv exposures. This is different from the 60D. 60D users need to put the dial on BULB mode for long exposures or in M mode for Tv exposures. This means that you need to be near the camera while imaging and to touch the camera to change the dial between B and M. Don't blame the BYE developers for this, this is Canon's design and there is nothing the developers can do to overcome it.

Thank you all for the answers knowledge is all I need - now that I know, it has turned my BEOS experience into a very pleasant one. The box you kept your camera aimed at was a 60D so that is how I got confused.  

BTW see my post here: 

Sorry for the confusion and at least the three line log summary tells me of my error.

Thank you again for your time and consideration I could not be happier with BEOS!

Randall