Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

3.1.17 - Canon driver missing

photonewbie

Question

I'm using BYEOS 3.1.16 with my Canon T5i. When I launch BYEOS, there are 3 drivers to choose from, I select "Canon215" and all is well.

When I upgraded to BYEOS 3.1.17, this driver is not available and selecting one of the other 2 drivers is sub-optimal.

Can you add in the 'Canon215 Driver' into the 3.1.17 build?

18 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, photonewbie said:

yes. I have the following installed:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable  10.0.40219

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable  (x86) 12.0.30501

Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable  (x86) 14.10.25017

Okay, that looks good.

Okay, lets MacGyver this.

Install 3.1.16 in a separate folder.  Then copy the content of the 3.1.16 "Canon215\" folder into the 3.1.17 "Canon\" folder.  Now try 3.1.17... does it work?

Canon215 was removed as unnecessary because the Canon SDK supports all the same cameras and having 3 choices was confusing for new users. I have long used the Canon (actually the newest release of the EOS SDK from Canon) driver with my T5i. It works just fine.

The Canon215 SDK was initially made available to BYE users several years ago when a newer release of the SDK from Canon had a bug for some camera models. Since that bug was long ago repaired and  the latest SDK supports the same cameras, the authors decided to drop Canon215 from the 3.1.17 release.

Canon210 is only for the very oldest DIGIC II cameras that Canon no longer supports with the SDK.

How is the Canon driver "sub-optimal"? Perhaps it is not an SDK issue at all. Please be as specific as possible.

in 3.1.17, I have 2 choices:

"Canon (DIGIC 3/4/5/6/7 cameras generally manufactured after 2008)" and "Canon 210 (DIGIC 2 cameras generally manufactured before 2008 (5D, 20D, 20Da, 30D, 350D)"

When I select 'Canon' I get: "Canon drivers not found ERROR! Try re-installing the application"

When I relaunch BYEOS 3.1.17 and select 'Canon210' I get "'Canon drivers 210\' initialized. DEVICEINFO DESCRIPTION is Canon EOS REBEL T5i. DEVICEINFO NUMBER IS <big number>. YOUR *REAL* MODEL NUMBER is 4294967294(FFFFFFFE). Generic model 153 assumed.

I would expect 'Canon' to work since it more aligns with both the year and digic info. I wouldn't expect  'Canon210' to work since it is for the oldest digic II cameras, which the T5i isn't.

I have done the uninstall/reinstall a few times and see no change..

How can I get 3.1.17 to use the 'Canon' driver with the T5i?

The Canon should work just fine with the T5i; it's actually -the- recommended driver/sdk.

Let's work this out to find the root cause.

Using BYE 3.1.17...

1. Can you send me the numbers you get in the message area when you try with "Canon\" drivers with 3.1.17.  That would help me a lot.  You gave me some above but that is with "Canon210\".  
  2. What files (and size) do you have in "C:\Program Files (x86)\BackyardEOSv3.1\Canon"?  You should have 4 files.

image.png

Regards,

I have those same 4 files, with same dates.. but different timestamp on the EdsImage.dll and EDSDK.dll files.

The ONLY message/information in the App, when I choose 'Canon' is:

"Canon drivers not found ERROR! Try re-installing the application"

Can I share/upload my BYEOS logile here?

The logfile says: Unable to load DLL 'Canon\EDSDK.dll': The specified procedure could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007F)

CanonDrivers.JPG

Okay, somehow it looks like the new install did not overwrite these files from a previous install.

1. Uninstall 3.1.17 completely
  2. Delete the left over files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\BackyardEOSv3.1" and remove the folder BackyardEOSv3.1
  3. Reinstall 3.1.17.
  4. Look at the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\BackyardEOSv3.1\Canon" again.  What files/size do you get?

Regards,

25 minutes ago, photonewbie said:

Interesting.... I'm using XP SP3 for this.

XP is no longer supported so it is possible that the SDK is no longer supported as well :(

Since the error you get is "Unable to load DLL 'Canon\EDSDK.dll': The specified procedure could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007F)" I suspect you are missing one of the Microsoft Visual c++ distribution package on your PC.

If you go in Windows add/remove programs and inspect the list of installed  "Microsoft Visual C++ 20## Redistributable", which to you have.  I'm thinking you need either 2013 of 2017 installed for the latest SDK.  Let me know if you have these installed.

39 minutes ago, photonewbie said:

That worked nicely; 3.1.17 now loads as expected.

Spoke too soon. While it loads fine, live view, frame and focus, etc, just generate a message: 'parameter is not valid'

I think you'll have to revert using 3.1.16 for now then.  I know the T5i works fine with the "Canon\" drivers as I have a lot of customers using this combination.

However, the oddity here is XP and this may be that the new Canon SDK files are no longer compatible on some level.  If this is an XP issue with the new drivers I'm inclined no to add them again, there are a pain to support over time and XP is several years out of support already.

Astroman does bring up a good point about a factory reset.