Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

BYE running slowly on my netbook

markbplym

Question

I have a Toshiba N250 netbook with 2GB memory and it has an Intel Atom processor running at 1.6GHZ

The software loads and runs but is very slow. It quickly detects the camera is connected and disconnects just as quick but it takes a long time to update the 'live view' image on the screen and even longer to do any focusing to the point where it becomes impossible to get the 'sweet spot'.

I think I am going to have to buy a new laptop but can you suggest a suitable replacement to run the software?

Thank you.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 answers to this question

I have a Toshiba N250 netbook with 2GB memory and it has an Intel Atom processor running at 1.6GHZ

The software loads and runs but is very slow. It quickly detects the camera is connected and disconnects just as quick but it takes a long time to update the 'live view' image on the screen and even longer to do any focusing to the point where it becomes impossible to get the 'sweet spot'.

I think I am going to have to buy a new laptop but can you suggest a suitable replacement to run the software?

Thank you.

Looks to me like your page file is very active with only 2GB of memory... which leads Windows to continuously swap memory to disk and back.  Not much I can do about that <_>

Is this a dual core computer?

Hi

No its a single core CPU. I brought the netbook around 3 years ago now.

I just tried it on my core i7 desktop and the software works perfectly, I can easily adjust the focus to the correct value and the 'live view' updates quickly too, but I can't take it with me...

markbplym

I'm running this laptop which I got on sale about this time of year.

Win 8 Toshbia satellite C855 16 bit, for mount and camera control.  

seems to work fine for me.

watch your ads for the big office stores around back to school time.

Hi

No its a single core CPU. I brought the netbook around 3 years ago now.

I just tried it on my core i7 desktop and the software works perfectly, I can easily adjust the focus to the correct value and the 'live view' updates quickly too, but I can't take it with me...

Yeah, single core is a lot to ask when dealing with large images.  If you would have had a dual code the "Process Affinity" setting in Settings -> Advance Settings may have helped... but it has no impact on single core computer.

So live view you can -slow- down the the frame rate and that may help.  Goto settings and increase the live view threshold to say 100 or 200 milliseconds.

Regards,

Hi Guylain

I have changed the 'live view' threshold settings as you suggested and it has made a significant improvement, thanks.

BYE is running much better now so I will take it out for a trial run when we get clear skies.

Thanks again for the advice.

Hi Guylain

So if I purchase a dual core netbook with at least 2GB memory BYE should run smoothly? I will try out the settings you suggested on my netbook.

It will.  However, if you are going to purchase you should get 4GB (or more) of memory instead of 2GB.  Windows will be much happier... and as a result you will too :)

Regards,

If you are going to take the Big Step of upgrading from a Netbook to a true Laptop, you should take the time to REALLY determine what you Like / Dislike about your Netbook and what you Want / Need in your new Platform.  You have options to purchase either New or Refurb, so you can get a real wide gamut of Hardware Choices and/or Price Points.

My suggestions:

CPU - look more at Power Usage than Raw Processing Speed - at this mid-level either AMD or Intel will do fine

Memory - 4GB for solid Windows Performance - 6-8GB will just consume Battery Power unless you decide to use this as your Image Processing platform (which I wouldn't suggest)

HDD - look for enough capacity for several nights worth of Image Capture and Planetary Video Capture (500-750GB) - or a 256GB SSD for both Speed and Power Savings

USB Ports - at least 2x USB2 and 1x USB3 Ports as there are lots of AP peripherals that aren't yet 100% USB3-compatible

Display - look for at least 1366x768 or a bit higher resolution (get room to have BYE plus a bit to see PHD Graphs or whatever App) but higher res uses battery

Graphics - Intel GMA3000 or GMA4000 graphics are good enough, as are AMD/ATI solutions - again Graphics power consumes Battery Power

Network - the Usual WiFi-N and Bluetooth (next-gen Astronomy Gear are starting to come in WiFi'd versions)

OS - Win7 may still be offered on some older or Refurb stock, else Win8.1 has been successful (if you can adjust to the UI)

Touchscreen - your choice but it consumes Battery Power

Battery - for long-duration activities like AP Imaging (especially if you have USB-powered devices) you NEED the largest 6-cell or 8-cell you can get...

Archived