Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

D7000 - COM access denied

jbrazio

Question

Hi,

After the 2.0.2 update my D7000 bulb mode stopped working with the error: Access to the port COMXX is denied.

I've searched and I see another related issue with the D5100 but no progress since beginning of May.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19 answers to this question

Ok, I think I got it.

Basically I made the port for the MBox configurable and it will only scan the configured port to verify if the MBox is available... leaving all other ports alone.

Please try this download, it has both BYN/BYE serial cable port denied bug fix.  This is not an official release, just a preview build with this bug fix.  If it works use it but as soon as I release it officially this link will disappear.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5m1u7zzvyjnjks3/AACj0_iksHfDJB_jCICXhl8Za?dl=0

Regards,

Progress has been made... but not fixed yet, it's related to the installer.

What version were your using when it worked?  I may want to install that version again until this is resolved :(

Regards,

3 hours ago, admin said:

Thanks.

Can you do me a favor?  Can you try 2.0.1 and see if this one works?

I only have 7 commits between 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 but I have over 30 commits since 2.0.1.  This should help to look at what changed since the last version it was working in.

Regards,

I'm actually going through each commit I made since then one by one and rebuilding the app, installing , and then testing.  It's a painful process but I need/want to know exactly what I did to brake it in order to resolve it.

Do you have a cable that shows the behavior? Does the DSUSB cable work or fail the same way?

Have you considered that a .NET update changed the behavior of the serial port class(es) and that it is not your app at all? Well, if that is the case, you should still have a problem with all versions of BYN, so that will point to an external difference.

Good luck!

Found it.  It was the commit where we implemented the MBox.

Chris did this implementation so I'll have to check with him.  The MBox is a serial device and it scans all ports in an attempt to locate the device.... in the process it places a lock on the port used by the serial cable and does not release it... and this causes the access denied error.

Boy this was a pain to troubleshoot... I kept looking at code around the serial cable implementation and it was nowhere near.  And the fact that it always work from my development environment but not via the installer made things a bit more difficult.

Now the job begins to solve it without breaking the MBox implementation, they booth need to play nice with each other.

Regards,

Hi Guys, sorry to jump on this post but I thought I would update you with the same issue I had (Access to the port Com6 denied). I upgraded to 3.12 still with the same issue but after reading this post and downloading the "unofficial" 3.1.12 RC from the dropbox link above, I can also now say that this has resolved the problem also. I'm assuming it's OK to carry on using this version for now (3.1.12 RC)?

It was perfect clear skies lastnight (UK) but a whole night wasted trying to get my Canon 400D to take exposures:( uninstalling everything, reinstalling etc but at least it's now shooting via the serial com port perfect :) and it should be another clear night tonight. So fingers crossed. Thanks.

On 5/22/2017 at 10:33 PM, admin said:

Ok, I think I got it.

Basically I made the port for the MBox configurable and it will only scan the configured port to verify if the MBox is available... leaving all other ports alone.

Please try this download, it has both BYN/BYE serial cable port denied bug fix.  This is not an official release, just a preview build with this bug fix.  If it works use it but as soon as I release it officially this link will disappear.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5m1u7zzvyjnjks3/AACj0_iksHfDJB_jCICXhl8Za?dl=0

Regards,

I will mark this thread a solved them.

Thank you for your patience on this one, it was a long road.

Archived