Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Mid Exposure Time

mmiller1951

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 answers to this question

Hi Mike,

Do you mean exposure bracketing?  

If yes BYE does not read or set this property.  If you set it using your camera menu/buttons on the camera body BYE should respect its current value and the camera should therefor apply it to all exposures.

Regards,

Oh, I get it now.

The time stamp is taken at the start of the exposure; when the shutter opens.  This is also the time you should be getting in the file name and if you have set BYE to write exif data (see advance settings) then the time should also be added in the exif data in the BackyardCaptureDate property.

I don't do spectroscopy myself but is this valuable/important in spectroscopy?  Adding the mid-time exposure in the exif data would be easy and even simpler in the actual file name if I were to add it as an optional filename property.

Regards,

I do not do spectroscopy.......the time stamp is for Astrometry!!.  and photometry.

Astrometrica produces a report for Minor Planet Center which must include the time and date of MID EXPOSURE of image.

Currently I am having to note it  and manually put it in as software is manipulating the data.

Was wondering if it is possible tell BYEOS to add time stamp to image of the MID exposure time instead of beginning of exposure.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

The Windows File creation time is and should stay, IMO, as the time that the image file was created. That said, Guylain gave you a couple of other options in his previous post.  The mid exposure time could go into the file name and/or into the EXIF data. You should formalize your request in the Feature Suggestion Box forum.  This is one of the sources of ideas for improvements to BYE and BYN.  Be sure to indicate the type of accuracy that you are expecting.  For example, is halfway between the time when the shutter opens and the time that the image file is created close enough or do you need it to be exactly midway between the the millisecond that the shutter opens and the millisecond that the shutter closes?

Archived