Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

license fault error

mmiller1951

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 answers to this question

Hi Mike,

I've been getting a few of these lately, not sure why yet.

Go in c:\users\<<username>>\AppData\ and delete the file BackyardEOSv31-license.txt.

The AppData folder is a Windows hidden folder by default do make sure Windows is set to show hidden files and folders.

You will need to reenter your key and identifier "mmiller1951" once you delete this file.  Make sure you grab/copy your actual key from the website in your client area.

Keep us posted.

i tried to demo your software to a friend last night, what a wipe out.....got this license error...and software had changed shutter from bulb to 1/4000...I guess after I disconnected if from computer the last time I used it...anyway could not see anything in live view because of this shutter change.

was not a good session or good advertisement for your software..  just FYI

app Data folder is empty!!

Not possible.  I say this with 100% certainty because you have used BYE at least once on this computer and I guarantee you that that folder is not empty.  You are not looking in the right place; mostlikely NOT in the correct user folder.

i tried to demo your software to a friend last night, what a wipe out.....got this license error...and software had changed shutter from bulb to 1/4000...I guess after I disconnected if from computer the last time I used it...anyway could not see anything in live view because of this shutter change.

was not a good session or good advertisement for your software..  just FYI

Hi Mike,

Most of the thing you have reported thus far is user error and/or growing pain.  Aside from the license fault error, this is not a user error for sure and we need to figure this one out.  One possible scenario would be if you have also downloaded 3.1.4 and you've been using 3.1.5 then 3.1.4 and back to 3.1.5.  When you switch version you will get a license fault error but you just need to re-enter your identifier and re-validate.

If the shutter moved from BULB to 1/4000 you made that change somehow.  I say this with 100% certainty because at no time is there any functionality in BYE to set the TV value to its fastest speed.  BYE will change from BULB to TV going in Live View because Live View simulation is ONLY active in non-BULB mode.  There is a reason behind every feature in BYE.  If you do not want for BYE to change this you need to disable the "Maximum Sensitivity" in the Setting Dialog.

As for demonstrating BYE, thank you.  However, I recommend that you familiarized yourself before undertaking such a task.  When I demo BYE it takes me 3 hours and I have to rush over some features.  It is a complex application packaged in simple (mostly) user interface; and that takes some TLC to get around a seamless demo session.

You are free to continue using EOS Utility, nothing wrong with that.  But you'll be missing a lot in the long run IMO.  However, I have always said that the best software is the one that works for you.  If that is EOS Utility then that is fine too.

i have not switched versions as I only have the original demo version..  would like to be able to use BYEOS  but I cannot find the file  you are referring to..

it really should not be this difficult for someone to try out your software.  I guarantee you that the software changed the shutter speed...as you acknowledge by stating that I must change the maximum sensitivity setting....I am sure this happened after I disconnected from the last session and then was unable to connect the last time because of the license issue...

Thanks and good luck

mmiller1951,

I think that you are being unfair to blame your lack of familiarity with BYE on BYE!

My AppData folder has hundreds of files and folders that were created by applications that are installed on my PC.  I find it difficult to imagine that yours is empty.

If you got a license error, how were you able to use the software?  What you posted is confusing!

Nobody else has reported similar symptoms.  That makes me think that you are just unfamiliar with the software.

When you first connect BYE with the camera BYE initializes with the camera's settings for exposure, ISO, and f/stop (if a lens is attached). Are you sure that the last images that you shot were not bias frames? You can change those values on the Frame & Focus screen to brighten the LiveView display, or if you select the Maximum Sensitivity setting BYE will change them for you. Even when set at max sensitivity, only the very brightest stars will be visible.

You need to be mounted on a scope at prime focus (not a lens), you need to be fairly close to focus, and you need to be set to maximum sensitivity in order to see even the brightest star on the LiveView display.  This is because the LiveView exposure is very short and BYE cannot change this.  The Shutter parameter does not actually control the exposure, but it does act like a brightness control, up to about 2 seconds.  Optimum Live View settings are a 2 second exposure (NOT BULB) at high ISO.

Archived