Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Dual Cameras - same USB port shown on camera selector but not it taskbar

Matthew

Question

Hey folks,

A minor surprise I have found running two Canon 40Ds into two instances of BYE 3.1.5.

I turn on the first camera and select the Digic III / IV selector from the middle tab - all fine.

Then I start the second camera and second instance of BYE 3.1.5 and press connect selecting the same series driver.

Now it shows me two instances of Canon's - both on the same USB port 4519 - (they connect over a powered USB 2.0 / 3.0 hub).  The top camera in the list is the one that is already connected to the first instance of BYE - the second camera in the list is the one I need to grab.

Once I connect to the second camera all is fine.  Now if I hover the mouse over the two instance of BYE in the bottom of the screen along from the Windows7 start button each reports a different USB number.  I am wondering if the logic that shows the ports versus the logic that names the running instances is named from the window's task id or the port id.

Having both cameras report the same USB port isn't too helpful.

Cheers,

Matthew

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11 answers to this question

Some - so you are confirming their is a minor bug in the first window - and you list that as a display port bug; however both tasks are correctly named once they are started and the name in the task bar has to do with a TCP/IP port allocation scheme.  Have I got that correct?

That leads me to ask is it a simple matter to hunt down and at some time fix the display bug in the camera selection window?

Many thanks, Matthew

Agreed, but if I had 3 of the same model of cameras - they would all be listed as the same name and appear incorrectly on the same port for reasons unknown - so it is I presume a minor bug with an easy work around if you can control the sequence you power on your cameras!

Guyroch,

Will get a screenshot or two tomorrow.

s3igell,

No, Yes, Yes. 

I have seperate Icons that are named BYE 3.1.5 SCT 40D that points to camera1 and BYE 3.1.5 WOFLT110 40D that points to camera2 and BYE 3.1.5 W0 98 400D that points to camera3.

I run a USB2 extender cable to a powered USB2 hub and a USB3 cable to a powered USB3 and USB2 combo hub.  Must check which camera is plugged into what.

Screen shots should simply for anyone interested what is occuring.

Cheers,

Matthew

This is now fixed in 3.1.6.

I will be releasing 3.1.6 this weekend.  Not because of this change but because I'm currently in the process of moving the entire web site to run over https and this requires an emergency patch release to ensure the check against the license server works against both http and https.

Regards,

Okay folks,

Merry Christmas - sorry for the delay.  Attached is a screenshot which shows each Canon 40D seems to have the same USB port id 3146.  I have Windows task Manager open just to see what PID they have (4712 and 5100 respectively) and the mouse hovered over one of the two instances of BYE - they are named BYE :: 1499 and BYE :: 1502 (disconnected) from memory in the Windows Task bar.  The cameras connect fine - so long as I remember the second camera powered on appears second in the list of Cameras to connect!

Regards,

Matthew

Image - how can I upload this - copy of image is here http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=192660&d=1451284005

But, do not confuse the physical usb port to which the camera is connected to with the TCP/IP port used for sending commands from one BYE instance to another one.

The display bug is in the camera selection windows as per your print screen

The port number you see when mouse over the task bar is the TCP/IP port number of the BYE instance as configured in the 3rd party section in the Settings dialog.

Hope this makes sense.

Archived