Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

D7000 DSUSB and DSCBL-15 No BULB control

vmengland

Question

Well I recieved my DSUSB cable and the DSCBL-15 cable from Shoestring Astronomy so I could start taking BULB shots with my Nikon D7000.  I've tried two computers one with Windows 10 and the other with Windows Vista.  I cannot get the BULB function to work.  It keeps telling me I need a serial cable.  I have tried resetting camera; battery out and SD cards out.  I set the camera to manual mode and BULB before connecting to BackyardNikon.  I still cannot get the serial cable to control the BULB function.  I can still access all functions normally thru the USB cable.  It seems like the serial cable (DSUSB) is not being recognised or something.  Any ideas.

Thanks,

Mark

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 answers to this question

Got a chance to recheck everything this morning.  I checked to see that I had followed all instructions to the letter.  Still no BULB control. So, I decided to uninstall BYN and reinstall.  

Well I'm not sure what the problem was.  I hooked up the camera and it worked this time.  Not sure why it wouldn't work before.  Did everything the same as I did the first time. 

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Got a chance to recheck everything this morning.  I checked to see that I had followed all instructions to the letter.  Still no BULB control. So, I decided to uninstall BYN and reinstall.  

Well I'm not sure what the problem was.  I hooked up the camera and it worked this time.  Not sure why it wouldn't work before.  Did everything the same as I did the first time. 

Thanks for the help.

Mark

This doesn't make sense really.  A reinstall should not have changed anything with respect to operating the DSUSB cable.  However, I'm glad you got it working.

Thank you for coming back to let know what you did to resolve your issue.

Regards,

I've noticed similar issues and have upgraded to version 1.04 of BYN to no avail. I use the D7000 and the shoestring astonomy DSUSB cable. Everything works very well, save the use of the bulb function. Is this seen with the D7100 and D7000 as well? How about the D750?  Is there a way to take images longer than 30 sec with the D7000?

Dave in Chicago

Yes, you should be able to take BULB exposures with a D7000 and BYN with a DSUSB cable.  When you say it doesn't work, that does not provide much information for others to provide suggestions. Can you provide details about what you have tried and what happened?

Does the DSUSB cable work with other software?

Are you choosing DSUSB from the Cable Support dropdown on the BYN Imaging screen?

How does it fail?

You may need to provide log files for Guylain to look at..

Archived