Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Supported Cameras

2cool

Question

I have a Nikon D3200, after downloading the program i come to find that its not supported.  ive been looking for a list of supported cameras but cant find a list.  If there is no list, what cameras do you suggest.  I am just starting to get into astrophotography.  i think it would be cool to get into it but my funds are limited.  thanks.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

8 answers to this question

Even if the D70 was listed as a supported model (it explicitly described as not supported), I would still say that the D70S would not be supported since it is not in the list. Guylain does a good job of maintaining an accurate list!

If a camera model is not in the supported ilst, then it is not supported by BackyardNIKON. Because of previous questions, there are some models that are in the support grid, like the D70, but are described as NOT SUPPORTED. There are likely a couple of reasons for this.

1) Nikon has not released a software development kit (SDK) for this model. Since BYN relies on the Nikon SDKs to control nikon cameras, no SDK means no BYN support.

2) If Nikon has released an SDK for a model, but it still is not listed in the support grid then it is likely that Guylain is the enhance, test, release cycle and will add that model to the list when he has released a new version if BYN that includes the support.

If the model has been available for a while and is not in the list, it is likely that Nikon does not intend to release an SDK for that model.  You should ask them why!

This forum is open to all, not just owners of BYN. If you are planning on purchasing a Nikon DSLR and do not see the model listed as supported, then you should use this forum to confirm the BYN's support for your camera before purchasing either the camera or BYN.

I see the Nikon D70 on the list but no the D70S.  Will the d70S work wit the Backyard Nikon.?  I just purchased the license and it is giving me a connection error.

It is not supported and will not be supported.  This model was released in 2004.  Time to get a new camera sadly :)

Please read this sticky thread!

Regards,

I am having problems downloading BYN! I have paid for it, when I try to download the program it pops up saying it cannot be placed in temp files, and says “ error 5”, I am using windows 10 

also when I paid for BYN and tried to download it there were 2 extra programs

1) backyard eos

2)  red

what are these programs? Why did I get them? Do I need them

HELP

If you are having trouble downloading the BYN installer then it is likely a problem on your PC. A couple of possibilities that come to mind are your anti-virus software is interfering with the download or that your browser's Download folder is missing or unavailable.

BYN is a control program for supported Nikon DSLR cameras. BYE is for control of supported Canon EOS cameras. BackyardRed is a freebie program that you can use to make your screen red to avoid losing your night vision. Use of Red is optional, but it is included as part of the BYE and BYN installations.

So, if you have a Nikon camera and have paid for a BYN Classic or Premium license then you only need to download BYN. Simply choose to not download the other apps.

2 hours ago, Altondr said:

I am having problems downloading BYN! I have paid for it, when I try to download the program it pops up saying it cannot be placed in temp files, and says “ error 5”, I am using windows 10 

also when I paid for BYN and tried to download it there were 2 extra programs

1) backyard eos

2)  red

what are these programs? Why did I get them? Do I need them

HELP

Please start a new thread in the future, your download issue is not at all related to this thread called "Supported Cameras".  You will get much faster help by starting a new thread with a subject that closer matches your issue.

In any case, the error "cannot be placed in temp files, and says error 5" is a Windows error.  You seem to have some significant Windows security/privileges issues on your computer.

Take a look at this.... it's an old description of your problem but it still seems to apply.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/error-5-access-denied-setup-unable-to-create-the/e9e9ad9b-9a81-4a99-962e-3e5f0708a855?auth=1

Now, since this is an error related to your computer and/or Windows installation there is not much we can do help from a software perspective.  However, we can still probably help.  

1. What versions of Windows do you have?
  2. Which browser are you using to download?
  3. Is your Windows up to date?

Regards,