Canada's top-tier Telescopes & Accessories
Be as specific as possible when reporting issues and *ALWAYS* include the full version number of the application you are using and your exact *CAMERA MODEL*
NEVER POST YOUR KEY IN ANY PUBLIC FORUM, INCLUDING THE O'TELESCOPE SUPPORT FORUM ::: IF YOU DO YOUR KEY WILL BE DEACTIVATED WITHOUT NOTICE!

Mount recommendation

AaronSmall

Question

Guys,

I have an old Celestar 8 that I picked up a couple years ago and it has been great for my enjoyment of the hobby and getting into imaging.  Unfortunately, the mechanics are such that I can't image much longer than a couple of minutes even with a great polar alignment (it's a fork mounted wedge, not the wedgepod).  

Recently, my mom passed away and I have come into some cash.  She was a big supporter of my passion for astronomy so I am considering keeping the OTA because the optics are fantastic, but deforking and upgrading the mount.  Any suggestions and or recommendations?

Aaron

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 answers to this question

For a deforked C8, you'll need a Celestron AVX or iOptron ZEQ25 as a Minimum.  You'll probably be happier (if your Budget will have it) if you go for an Orion Atlas EQ-G or Celestron CGEM or iOptron CEM60, as the additional Weight Capacity and Features will give you latitude to mount all the Accessories you could want.

You'll absolutely need an AutoGuider - based on an 80mm Scope and not a shorter Finderscope.  And you'll probably want a 0.7x Focal Reducer...

And...  And...  And...

(how much did we have in the budget ?? ) :rolleyes:

hi Aaron,

I have the Celestron AVX with a 150mm reflector...total imaging weight is about 17-18lbs with a very good polar alignment using All-Star polar align and autoguided...I can take 30min exposures with no star trails.I guess it depends on how much weight you need to carry.As for myself...at half the price of a CGEM,I went with the AVX and been very pleased for almost 2 years

Ahh if only the budget was unlimited....  Thanks for the recommendation on the focal reducer though.  I really could use the wider FOV.

I like the AVX but I am worried about the 30 lb payload.  I understand that you should limit the payload to 20 lbs for AP simply for stability.  I assume my C8 OTA weighs around 13-15 lbs.  Add the DLSR, guidescope, guider, etc. and I would probably be just over 20 lbs, correct?

Any experience with the AVX (or other mounts) and what should I expect for rough weights for equipment. What other accessories should I be thinking about?  It'd have to be a pretty good reason to justify the higher cost of the Atlas EQ-G.

Any suggestions for mounting hardware?

Believe me, I have.  I just really respect you guys' opinions (you, Rick, and Guylain especially).  BYE is one of the best specialty written software I have seen and I have learned so much in the past few years just reading the forums.  The knowledge, dedication and the willingness to share is why I thought I would throw it in here under the general forum to at least get me started.

If I forgot to say it in my previous posts, Thank You.

I see you use a CGEM.  Can you describe your rig and how much it weighs, all told? 

As one struggling with an overloaded mount (Orion Sirius with belt drive kit) , I would recommend that the mount be as beefy as possible. Probably the biggest ticket item in your budget.

I'm wishing for mounts in the $10K range (e.g. http://www.deepspaceproducts.com/Linear-Fast-Reverse_8_4232_9365.html) , but practically am thinking about the Orion HDX110. Yes it's mass market, but the specs are good and it works with EQMOD, which I am using now. 

FYI the Linear Fast Reverse also works with EQMOD ;0)

I see you use a CGEM.  Can you describe your rig and how much it weighs, all told? 

My "rig" varies, as I use much of the gear in my Sig.  But I commonly Image with the 8in Astro Newt on the CGEM with my Modded-550D and ST-80 SSAG.

The CGEM Mount weighs about 70lbs including the Tripod and TPI Spreaders.  Then I add the 65lbs of my Deep-cycle Field Battery for further stabilization.  Onto this I mount the 28-30lbs of Imaging Rig, and counterbalance with nearly the same in Weights.

So, all told, that is nearly 200lbs.

And, yes, I've been known to hump this load of gear up to 250 yards from the parking spot to the Imaging Site.  Some of us are Committed - and some of us Should Be... :rolleyes:

Great info, gentlemen.  I think you've convinced me to go with the higher payload.  Also, thanks for the link to Deep Space Products, although the mounts they have are way out of my league.  I may have to investigate their DIY Hypertune Kits for the new mount.

Well back to more research while we all await the new website and BYE 3.1.0 next month...  

Clear skies!

Archived